INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT ~ MALE’ – MALDIVES
OPEN TO INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
Organizational Unit**: IOM – MALDIVES**
Expertise**: MIGRATION POLICY**
Duty Station**: MALE’ – MALDIVES**
Type of Appointment**: CONSULTANCY (6 MONTHS)**
Estimated Start Date**: ASAP**
Closing Date : 12 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to government and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The Ministry of Economic Development in Maldives is undertaking several initiatives to improve the living and working conditions of the migrants, including an effort to regularize migrants by registering undocumented migrants, developing sectoral minimum wage standards, reviewing legislation on living conditions, and assisting voluntary returns. With a view to promote safe, orderly, and regular migration, IOM and the Government of Maldives have discussed the need for a comprehensive and gender responsive assessment of migrant labour, employment, and migration in the Maldives to produce a baseline situational analysis report, development of Migration Policy and Action Plan.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission IOM Sri Lanka & Maldives and the direct supervision of the Project Officer – Male’, the Consultant will be responsible to conduct baseline situational analysis to develop the assessment report on migration and migrant issues, prepare the Migration Policy and its plan of action to be adopted by the Government of Maldives that will facilitate economic growth in the country in a migrant inclusive way. The incumbent will be specifically accountable for the following:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Conduct consultative meetings and key informant interviews to produce a baseline situational analysis report.
- Draft baseline situational analysis on migration and migrant issues in the Maldives based on desk research and the consultative meetings.
- Facilitate a workshop to discuss findings of baseline, migration context assessment.
- Conduct validation workshop of the situation analysis with relevant stakeholders to finalise the assessment report.
- Facilitate meetings of Technical Committee that would be established in consultation with key ministries to develop Migration Policy, to support existing Ministerial-level Committee to address migration issues.
- Facilitate meetings with the National Border Management Committee (NBMC) to discuss the formation of the Migration Policy.
- Facilitate a two-day consultative meeting to seek inputs for the draft Migration Policy.
- Develop an Action plan to support rollout of the Migration Policy.
- Host a consultative forum with relevant stakeholders to set a timeline, target and responsible focal points as outlined in the Action Plan to implement the Migration Policy.
- Develop training materials and conduct capacity building trainings for relevant government officials to support the roll out of the Migration Policy.
- Organise a high-level symposium to present the finalized Migration Policy and the Action Plan.
- Support to create a network of focal points across various policy sectors to facilitate the exchange of information and to plan next steps for easy follow up of the implementation of the Migration Policy.
Tangible & Measurable Output and Performance Indicators:
- Submission of finalised baseline situational analysis.
- Submission of finalised Migration Policy.
- Submission of finalised Action Plan.
- Submission of the training materials.
- Conducting the capacity building trainings.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Migration Management, Social Science, Development Studies, Humanitarian Affairs or a related field from an accredited academic institution with Five (05) years of professional experience; or
- University Degree in the above fields with Seven (07) years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in providing technical assistance / expertise in developing policies, procedures and programs in relation to Migration Policies is desirable;
- Experience in carrying our research studies in the sphere of labor migration, policy making or any other related area is preferred;
- Knowledge on structures and functions of policy makers in Maldives, National governing bodies in relation to labor migration, stakeholders and related organizations will be an asset.
Fluency in English is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural indicators – level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and successful reference checks.
Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
How to apply:
Candidates with the required qualifications and competencies are invited to submit their candidature for the position to [email protected] together with the following documents by Sunday 12th June 2022;
- Cover letter
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- Technical and Financial Proposal, demonstrating the understanding of subject matters and outlining the proposed methodology, timeline and budget). All documents shall be single spaced, 12 point Times New Roman and in English.
This is a re-advertisement and any applicant who have already applied for the position with the above-mentioned requirements does not require to re-apply unless there are any modifications to the previous application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 01.06.2022 to 12.06.2022