Job Identification : 11267
Locations : Pretoria, South Africa
Posting Date : 06/13/2023, 11:02 AM
Apply Before : 06/27/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : G6
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Effectiveness
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 3 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 6 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English
Desired Languages : English
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
Under the supervision of the ICT Specialist, the ICT LAN Associate’s role is to provide technical, operational and procedural support and end-user services in the implementation, maintenance and improvement of information technology systems, procedures and activities of the office, in accordance with the ICT work plan. The ICT LAN Associate works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams in the CO for resolving complex ICT-related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Timely and effective support is provided to the continuity of ICT services in the office
- Timely and effective support is provided on an on-going basis by performing first and second line support functions.
- Support to networks administration
- Provides web management services.
- Documentation and training of the ICT processes and procedures is provided to maintain internal knowledge continuity and competency
- Assignments of additional duties and responsibilities are effectively performed.
1. Timely and effective support is provided to the continuity of ICT services in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment.
- Administration and maintenance of application, messaging and file & print servers
- Maintain user accounts on network, messaging system and corporate applications
- Maintain access rights on network shared drive and corporate applications
- Prepare and monitor the service contracts on ICT related services
- Provide input and support to Business Continuity Plan
- Repair/troubleshot computer hardware and if required send to vendor/supplier for services
- Identification and implementation of innovative uses of the LAN which would enhance the CO’s effectiveness
2. Timely and effective support is provided on an on-going basis by performing first and second line support functions
- Installation and configuration of new equipment and systems and corrective actions in case of failure.
- Maintenance of servers and all LAN equipment, periodically updating software and configurations as well as the copies of the systems and data bases.
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access; assistance to staff in the use of network resources.
- Installation of corporate, commercial and in-house developed software packages and related upgrades.
- Technical support to the CO staff in the operation of new corporate and commercial software introduced.
- Assistance in data access, file transfers and conversions.
- Maintenance of a log of reported problems and corrective measures taken.
- Assist staff during Meetings
- Standby for other agencies on absence of their IT staff.
3. Supports networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Troubleshooting and monitoring of network problems: file server traffic, usage and performance, network security access and space usage. Follow up with staff for corrective measures
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Assistance in backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Assistance to organization of off-site storage of backups.
- Virus detection, removal and prevention for all systems in the CO. Updated virus detection and removal software.
- Configure the VOIP through Virtual server.
- Run Telephone report
4. Provides web management services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collaborate with Operations and Programme staff on web applications
- Development of any online tools that would simplify several services that are offered by the country office
- Support the office move to E-documentation strategy through development of necessary online tools to facilitate its implementation e.g. Host to host, E-Tendering and E-Registry
5. Documentation and training of the ICT processes and procedures is provided to maintain internal knowledge continuity and competency, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure ICT processes and procedures are well documented and kept up to date.
- Provide support in the training, development and distribution of user instructions and other related materials. Classifies and maintains the documents on the database, SharePoint and ISK (Intranet Starter Kit).
- Develop training plans and conducts training to ensure appropriate level of knowledge on the ICT issues. Helps develop technical documents and manuals.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree – 3 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 6 year(s) of relevant working experience, including network administration, support to management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
Bachelor’s Degree or High School certificate with relevant certifications in hardware and software management and computer application package such as Office 365. A+ and MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)/ Software Engineering/MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate) required. Knowledge in Active Directory, VMware, UNall, Intune, CISCO call Manager, SharePoint, and little bit of Quantum, is an added advantage.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Applicant information about UNDP vacancies
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.