Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Access and Safety Advisor (HASA)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- Under the direct supervision of the General Coordinator, the Humanitarian Access and Safety Advisor (HASA) in Maiduguri will be responsible to develop and follow up a context analysis mechanism, to adapt and implement a safety framework, to set up and maintain a network of relations with authorities, other NGOs and field-level focal points, to proceed for assessment of new areas of intervention, request of access authorizations, to report and to anticipate security-related events, in accordance to national and MdM internal procedures, under a confidentiality based approach.
- Monitor the security situation in Nigeria, conduct risk assessments, participate in enforcing security and safety procedures and provide sound and timely advice to staff and management on safety and security matters.
- Maintain contacts with local, national authorities, international state and non-state actors by compiling threat analysis, incident reports and routine security reports.
- Liaise and coordinate timely and efficiently with the General Coordinator and the HQ Security Advisor regarding security incidents, threats or deficiencies which potential could affect operations: (to be uploaded on SyRIL and share point).
- Ensure the implementation of safety, security policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs) as detailed by the HQ Security Advisor.
- Create a weekly situation report as per MDM’s SOP, including a brief analysis of the security situation and share to the General coordinator.
- Design and practice emergency systems, emergency communications and follow up the saferoom update for Damboa and Maiduguri offices.
- Conduct and submit to the General Coordinator the site Risk Assessments for locations regularly visited by Médecins du Monde staff, including field locations.
- Maintain the validity of emergency & contingencies protocols based on the applicable level as prescribed in the National Security Plan.
- Follow up monthly on the minimum operational security standards and the minimum operational residential security standards (MOSS and MORSS) for both Damboa and Maiduguri offices and Guest Houses.
- Ensure that communication protocols and CCTV camera system are implemented, and up to date.
- Work with the logistics department on defining the needs, installation and maintenance of telecommunication equipment
- Liaise with other humanitarian and emergency actors as well as international and national governments on safety and security matters.
- Participate in the inter-agency meeting from INSO, UNDSS, UNOCHA and other national security forum in Maiduguri.
- Support the general coordinator on crisis management and decision-making process.
- Ensure full safety and security briefings and debriefings to team members and visitors
- Identify safety and security training needs for the team members, conduct trainings and capacity building actions
Liaison with Authorities and Humanitarian Actors:
- Develop, maintain and establish an effective communication and good relationship with authorities and other humanitarian actors in Maiduguri MMC in order to proceed for: Facilitating visits of MDM staff with authorities, and obtaining access authorization for current and potential intervention areas
- Keep informed the General Coordinator timely of any information concerning changes in the procedures in the context.
- Participate in any scheduled technical and coordination meetings when needed especially the field level civil military coordination meetings
- To serve as an interlocutor with security forces in the field
- Network and liaison with INSO, UNDSS, NGOs, authorities and other key stakeholders on security, to improve security monitoring and analysis
- Participate in developing SOP, validation procedures and briefing prior to fieldtrips to new and/or sensitive areas in Maiduguri MMC.
- Develop and update a focal points database for info collection on permanent basis.
- Carry out a thorough analysis of the security situation in the potential areas of intervention and provide valuable information and recommendations to the general coordinator
- Identify relevant actors in the area and get involved in the actors mapping, including analysis of relationships and dynamics between different actors and impact on MDM intervention.
- HASA is the person in charge to answer authority on non-technical questions, (example in check points)
- He is in charge to introduce MDM team to people and to explain about MDM, presence, activities. etc.
- Identify possible places for team hibernation in the field and advise on adaptation of security pack based on new needs and context factors.
- Be flexible in performing his duties
- Inform immediately the General Coordinator in case of any security problem.
- Participate in a pro-active way in MdM internal meetings that maybe requested
- University Degree in Social Sciences or other related field; certification in security management course is an asset
- Very good research and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft office and Excel is desired
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively, including ability to prepare reports, make presentations
- Full command in writing, reading and speaking of English, Hausa, and Kanuri
- Good intuition skill is desired
- Experience of working effectively in complex security environments
- Experienced and knowledgeable in security/safety-related subjects, threat/risk assessment, strong representation and negotiating skills, security management, networking and personal and organizational security awareness
- Be proactive in improving skills by keeping up to date with new / latest development in safety and security operations procedures.
Application Closing Date
31st October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV explaining why you consider yourself suitable for this position and providing a valid email and telephone contact to: [email protected] using “Humanitarian Access and Safety Advisor (HASA)” as the subject of the email.
- Applications sent without the subject stated above will not be treated
- Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.