Hardship Level: E (most hardship)
Family Type: Non Family with Residential Location
Family Type: Non Family with Residential LocationDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable): Addis Ababa,Eth Fed Dem Rep
Staff Member / Affiliate Type: General Service
Reason: Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted: No
Target Start Date: 2023-08-14
Job Posting End Date: July 29, 2023
Standard Job Description: Human Resources Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Human Resources Associate supports the UNHCR’s People Strategy and contributes to the implementation of the 2018 independent Human Resources review, which resulted in the establishment of HR strategic priorities and the reconfiguration and transformation of the Division of Human Resources (DHR) from a largely transactional model into a strategic business partner for field operations and senior management. Having the right people in the right place at the right time is at the core of enabling UNHCR to protect and respond to persons of concern. By attracting, retaining and developing a talented, diverse and agile workforce while nurturing a culture of excellence, respect and wellbeing for all, UNHCR’s Human Resources acts as a strategic partner to the organization, enabling a people-centric culture.
The Human Resources Associate provides support and assistance in the areas of operational support, workforce planning, assignments and talent acquisition, organizational cultural changes, HR policy implementation and duty of care in the area of responsibility (AOR). The incumbent maintains employee confidence and protects the organization and its workforce by keeping human resources information confidential.
The Human Resources Associate is usually supervised by the Associate HR Officer, HR Officer or another HR or admin staff. This position can be located in a Country Operation, Multi-Country Office, Regional Bureau or Headquarters. The Human Resources Associate may supervise General Service staff. The supervisor provides the incumbent with regular guidance. The incumbent works quite independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor, assisting him/her in personnel administration and other HR related matters.
The incumbent may maintain a direct working relationship with a number of units within the Division of Human Resources (DHR).
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Human Resources Operational Support:
- Implement HR operational activities to ensure timely provision of HR solutions, prioritizing according to the needs and risks. This may include.
- Administration of recruitment, assignment and separation of local staff in the AOR, in accordance with UN/UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Update of personnel records in the Office, including MSRP entries into HR module where required.
- Assisting with recruitment and other procedures related to affiliate workforce, including MSRP entriesinto MSRP where required
- Contribution to workforce planning activities.
- Provision of a HR customer service-oriented culture that values proactivity, continuous improvement, innovation and high performance.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR’s Human Resources policies and procedures and the UN staff rules, regulations and UNHCR administrative instructions.
Assignments and Talent Acquisition:
- Participate in the recruitment of local staff including the issuance of vacancy notices and arranging for required tests and interviews, and preparation of submissions for the review by the Assignments Committee (AC).
- Assist in organizing outreach campaigns to attract diverse applicants.
- Advice to staff and contribution to an inclusive work environment.
- Build dialog and outreach with the workforce; answer questions, and provide information to staff as to where to go for help or ask questions.
- Track and report on recruitment and assignments activities.
Advise staff members and affiliate workforce on their rights, obligations, benefits and entitlements.
- Be proactive in identifying issues, themes and patterns affecting the workforce’s health and welfare, including sexual harassment and abuse of authority.
- Assist in the provision of on-boarding, induction, re-integration into the workplace and off-boarding to colleagues.
- Assistance in implementation of HR initiatives that support organizational culture change such as good people management practices, and promoting gender, inclusion and diversity.
Duty of Care:
- Assist in the security and medical evacuations of UNHCR personnel. Maintain daily tracking record of staff and families to provide accurate information in case of emergency.
- Administer UNHCR medical insurance plan for locally recruited staff.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
N / A
Certificates and/or Licenses
Business Administration, Office Management, Human Resources Management
or related field.
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience working in Human Resources. Knowledge of general HR policies, processes and systems.
Experience in HR information technology systems and tools. Experience working with the United Nations. Experience working in a multi-cultural setting.
UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
HR-Local mass recruitment
HR-Talent Development and Nurturing
HR-Employee Relationship Management
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile: – S/he should have demonstrated capacity to effectively contribute to teams with diverse backgrounds, experience in managing recruitment process. – The ideal candidate should have broad knowledge of HR processes and should possess skills to manage large scale recruitment in an emergency setting. -S/he should have an in-dept understanding of UNHCR recruitment and assignment policies and procedures and offer sound interpretations thereof to managers in respect of age, gender and diversity considerations.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):: , ,
Desired languages: , ,
Operational context: Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:: Nature of Position:: Living and Working Conditions:: Additional Qualifications: Skills
HR-Employee Relationship Management, HR-Local mass recruitment, HR-Talent Development and Nurturing, IT-Computer Literacy, SO-Learning Agility, UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and ProceduresEducation
Business Administration – Other, Human Resources Management – Other, Office Management – OtherWork Experience
Competencies: Accountability, Change capability & adaptability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator: https://icsc.un.org/Home/SalaryScales
Compendium: Additional Information: A written test (eliminatory or complementary) and oral interviews may be administered for shortlisted candidates.
Functional clearance: This position doesn’t require a functional clearance