Home Based Consultancy: Social media expert Consultant with UNICEF ECARO section of Communication (18 months from 01 April 2023 to 01 June 2024)
Job no: 558414
Position type: Consultant
Location: Switzerland Division/Equivalent: CEE/CIS
School/Unit: Regional Services Div (ECAR), Geneva
Department/Office: Regional Communication, ECARO
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Communication
How can you make a difference?
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECARO) communications team creates and delivers compelling content to regional audiences of parents, young people, and UNICEF supporters. We build engaged communities in multiple languages across social media and web platforms, while providing expert digital services and support to the country offices.
This year, UNICEF ECARO Comms team will work closely with Child Protection and other teams in the Regional Office to identify ways and approaches to use digital campaigns to deliver on programme goals. Paid digital marketing is an essential and rapidly growing part of this work.
Scope of Work:
The consultant will lead paid digital marketing campaigns on child protection and other priority themes for UNICEF ECARO across social media and search platforms and in close collaboration with the Child Protection team. Under the guidance of the Digital Communication Specialist, the Strategist will help to develop an innovative paid digital marketing strategy, with special focus on reaching populations in danger with early warning and advice to help them protect themselves, testing campaign messages and generating evidence of success. This role will contribute to strategy, coordinate budgets, implement, and evaluate campaigns, produce social media posts, elevating the Digital Strategy Section’s work with creative ambition and technical expertise. It’s a unique opportunity to work closely with regional advisors and country offices experts, editorial and advocacy colleagues who are highly skilled, passionate about their work and determined to deliver results for children across Europe and Central Asia.
The consultant will:
- Support the strategic planning of UNICEF’s multi-channel digital marketing strategy on regional digital channels, under the direction of the Digital Communication Specialist and in close coordination with Child Protection team, other regional advisors, as well as campaign teams across advocacy, web and comms teams in country offices.
- Plan, implement, monitor, and optimize ads campaigns on Facebook, Instagram, Google, YouTube and other digital channels, profiling audience according to campaigns objectives and allocating budget conform paid social media plan.
- Contribute to audience-oriented content production for paid marketing, including developing campaign concepts, social media assets, writing ad copy, drafting scripts for short videos, curating photography, aligned with UNICEF’s advocacy priorities for the region.
- Create and curate high-quality and relevant content in English from country offices of the region and other communication and advocacy materials, adapting and editing into different formats (cards, short videos, photo galleries, infographics, and others) to guarantee narrative and visual identity coherence and consistency for the region’s social media channels.
- Provide community management to moderate comments on posts related to campaigns, mapping potential risks.
- Provide rigorous and thoughtful reports on marketing results, advising Child Protection and other teams on the implications of results for their programme and to continually hone marketing strategies
- Follow the latest developments in digital marketing, keeping the social media team informed of changes to ad platforms, emerging opportunities and best practice.
- Support ECAR country offices with strategic and technical advice on paid marketing, including guidance documents, webinars, and expert responses to staff enquiries.
- Contribute to planning and coordination with UNICEF’s tech partners, maximizing opportunities to support paid marketing.
- Perform other communication and content duties as required and agreed upon with supervisor.
Work Assignment Overview
Planning, implementation, and monitoring of digital marketing campaigns
- Plans and implements at least 18 digital marketing campaign, which will be closely integrated in overall content plan for the social media channels
- High-quality marketing campaigns
135 working days until October 2024
Reporting and analysis on marketing campaigns and channels
- Monitoring reports and analysis after every marketing campaign to inform future planning and content development, delivering at least 18 performance reports
58 working days until October 2024
Strategic and technical marketing campaign support
- Work with country offices, regional teams and experts to provide advice and strategic as well as technical guidance on marketing campaigns
58 working days until October 2024
Creation and curation of content for social media channels.
Creates, curates 2,400 high-quality posts in English and Russian for ECARO’s social media channels, guaranteeing coherence and consistency of the digital presence
135 working days until October 2024
Estimated Duration of the Contract
Consultant’s Work Place and Official Travel
Estimated Cost of the Consultancy & Payment Schedule
Payment will be made on submission of an invoice and satisfactory completion of the above-mentioned deliverables. Please indicate an all-inclusive lumpsum to undertake this TOR based on 18 months.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: Minimum, a Bachelor’s degree or higher qualification in marketing, communications, or a related field.
- At least four years of experience planning and implementing paid advertising campaigns on social media and digital properties.
- Minimum, a Bachelor’s degree or higher qualification in marketing, communications, or a related field.
- Ability to write and speak English fluently.
- Strong technical knowledge of advertising platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Google.
- Proven success managing social ads to achieve communications and advocacy goals.
- Clear analytical thinking and strategic vision.
- Strong creative drive to create new ideas, find opportunities and solve big challenges.
- Ability to write sharp, engaging, and persuasive ad copy.
- Methodical approach to project management.
- Deep technical knowledge of digital marketing and social media metrics measurement, reporting and evidence generation.
- Strong understanding of human rights, international development, or humanitarian response.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
UNICEF offers reasonable accommodation for consultants/individual contractors with disabilities. This may include, for example, accessible software, travel assistance for missions or personal attendants. We encourage you to disclose your disability during your application in case you need reasonable accommodation during the selection process and afterwards in your assignment.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully-vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment. It does not apply to consultants who will work remotely and are not expected to work on or visit UNICEF premises, programme delivery locations or directly interact with communities UNICEF works with, nor to travel to perform functions for UNICEF for the duration of their consultancy contracts.
Advertised: Mar 07 2023 W. Europe Standard Time Application close: Mar 17 2023 W. Europe Standard Time
- Closes Mar 17 2023Home Based Consultancy: Social media expert Consultant with UNICEF ECARO section of Communication (18 months from 01 April 2023 to 01 June 2024) in Switzerland
Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECARO) communications team creates and delivers compelling content to regional audiences of parents, young people, and UNICEF supporters. We build engaged communities in multiple languages across social media and web platforms, while providing expert digital services and support to the country offices. This year, UNICEF ECARO Comms team will work closely with Child Protection and other teams in the Regional Office to identify ways and approaches to use digital campaigns to deliver on programme goals. Paid digital marketing is an essential and rapidly growing part of this work.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY