The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Graphics Designer – Individual Consultancy
Location: Home Based, Nigeria
Additional Category: Management
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Duration of Initial Contract: 50 Working Days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 50 Working Days
Background And Rationale
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations lead agency on international development and works in 170 countries and territories to eradicate poverty and reduce inequalities.
- The UNDP supports countries in developing policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capacities, and support in building resilience to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The Knowledge Hub, a unit established within the UNDP Nigeria Country Office, is purposed to enhance its ability to make timely and evidence-based interventions, particularly in areas of preventing and responding to violent extremism, conflict prevention and human security. A new type of ‘development intelligence gathering’, i.e. continuous monitoring and data collection, is crucial to inform UNDP’s work for early warning, adjust interventions to maximize preventive efforts and initiate new thematic approaches.
- Trend analyses and ad-hoc policy briefs will also inform interventions of UNDP’s development partners in this field. Through harnessing the potential offered by both old and new sources of data, it is UNDP’s hope that the accuracy and precision of its development responses are increased and a strong foundation for meaningful public policy making, efficient resource allocation and effective public service delivery is created.
- It is against this backdrop, that the Knowledge Hub seeks to engage the services of a professional graphics designer to support.
- The ideal candidate is one with a creative flair and strong ability to translate requirements and texts to designs, logos, layouts and illustrations for the Unit’s knowledge and communication products.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work:
- The objective of this Consultancy is to provide high quality graphics and design and production of multimedia products for the knowledge and communications products developed by the Unit focusing largely on development & socioeconomic issues, conflict prevention, and human security, as it affects Nigeria.Under the direct supervision of the Knowledge Hub Coordinator, the Consultant will perform the following duties but not limited to:
- Design and layout of relevant printed communication products;
- Design and layout of online or screen friendly PDFs, presentations and reports;
- Work with a wide range of images and media using graphic design software
- Test graphics across various media platforms;
- Design communication products for social media;
- Design and layout of information graphics as required;
- Identify key messages for projects to enhance communication around the outputs;
- Editing and proofreading of documents as required; and
- Support in design and development of dashboards, visualisations, websites and/or micro-sites if required.
Expected Output / Deliverables
Over the course of the contract period, the designer is expected to produce graphics, illustrations, and visuals for the following products:
- High quality design, layout and production of:
- Reports and other print publications
- Information graphics
- Collateral/Fact Sheets/Brochures
- Event Thematics (programmes, signage)
- Interactive Digital Publications/ Presentations
- The contract to be signed will be for a fixed all-inclusive daily fee;
- The Consultant will be given access to relevant information necessary for execution of the tasks under this assignment;
- S/He will be responsible for providing her/his own working station (i.e. laptop, internet, phone, scanner/printer, software, etc.) and must have access to a reliable internet connection;
- Payments will be made upon submission of a detailed time sheet and certification of payment form, and acceptance and confirmation by the Supervisor on days or hours worked and outputs delivered
- The Financial Proposal will include all fees and costs associated with the execution of the contract, including professional fees, equipment and all other expenses that will be incurred during the execution of the work. Payment will be remitted subject to the approval of deliverables by UNDP, and based on the contractor’s price proposal.
- The Consultant will be responsible for his/her own personal computer and other facilities required to perform the tasks outlined in Section B. Candidates will indicate the cost of services for each deliverable in USD, an all-inclusive lump sum contract amount when applying for this consultancy.
- The qualified consultant shall receive his/her lump sum service fees upon certification of the completed tasks satisfactorily, as per the following payment schedule:
Installment of Payment/ Period – Deliverables or Documents to be Delivered
- 1st Installment: Design and layout of report Realities of Nigeria’s most underpriviledged
- 2nd Installment: Design and layout of report Nationwide Social Survey
- 3rd Installment: Design and layout of data visualisation story book about Nigeria
- 4th Installment: Design of the Units web portal, including state profiles and monitoring dashboard.
Qualifications And Experience
- A Degree in Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Visual Arts, Communications and/or Media, Web design or other closely related field
- At least 5 years of proven working experience in graphic design
- A strong portfolio of illustrations or other graphics
- Familiarity and ability to use design software and technologies (such as InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop)
- A keen eye for aesthetics and details
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work methodically and meet deadlines
Required Skills and Experience:
- Candidates are expected to submit both Technical and Financial Proposals. Accordingly, candidates will be evaluated based on Cumulative Analysis as per the following scenario:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation. In this regard, the respective weight of the proposals are:
- Technical Criteria weight is 70%
- Financial Criteria weight is 30%
Criteria / Weight / Max. Point
- Technical Competence (based on CV, Proposal and interview (if required)) / 70% / 100
- Understanding the Scope of Work (SoW); comprehensiveness of the methodology/approach; and organization & completeness of the proposal / 30
- At least 5 years working experience in graphics design (working in development setting will be an advantage) / 25
- Evidence of communication products and graphic design from past assignments that showcase enhanced communications from development projects / 25
- Demonstratable ability to use design software and other media technologies, such as such as InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc) / 20
- Financial (Lower Offer/Offer*100) / 30% / 30
- Total Score = Technical Score * 70% + Financial Score * 30%
Confidentiality and Proprietary Interests
- The Individual Consultant shall not either during the term or after termination of the assignment, disclose any proprietary or confidential information related to the consultancy service without prior written consent.
- Proprietary interests on all materials and documents prepared by the consultants under the assignment shall become and remain properties of UNDP.
Application Closing Date
11th July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Individual consultants interested in applying for this position must complete their application using the Template for Offeror’s Letter to UNDP confirming interest and availability for the Individual Contractor (IC) assignment. The methodology, other documents and the Financial Proposal files MUST BE COMPLETELY SEPARATE (but submitted together as a zip file) If unable to submit zip file, kindly submit CV with Technical Proposal only.
- The financial proposal (Offeror’s Letter to UNDP confirming interest and availability for the Individual Contractor (IC) assignment) shall be encrypted with different passwords and clearly labelled. Financial Proposal without password will be disqualified.
- The password for opening the Financial Proposal should be provided only upon request of UNDP. UNDP will request password only from bidders whose Technical Proposal has been found to be technically responsive. Failure to provide correct password may result in the proposal being rejected.