The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Individual Consultancy – Professional Writer
Location: Home Based, Nigeria
Additional Category: Management
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date: 01-Aug-2022
Duration of Initial Contract : 40 Working Days
Expected Duration of Assignment : 40 Working Days
Background and Rationale
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations lead agency on international development and works in 170 countries and territories to eradicate poverty and reduce inequalities. The UNDP supports countries in developing policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capacities, and support in building resilience to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The Knowledge Hub, a unit established within the UNDP Nigeria Country Office, is purposed to enhance its ability to make timely and evidence-based interventions, particularly in areas of preventing and responding to violent extremism, conflict prevention and human security.
- A new type of ‘development intelligence gathering’, i.e. continuous monitoring and data collection, is crucial to inform UNDP’s work for early warning, adjust interventions to maximize preventive efforts and initiate new thematic approaches. Trend analyses and ad-hoc policy briefs will also inform interventions of UNDP’s development partners in this field.
- Through harnessing the potential offered by both old and new sources of data, it is UNDP’s hope that the accuracy and precision of its development responses are increased and a strong foundation for meaningful public policy making, efficient resource allocation and effective public service delivery is created.
- It is against this backdrop, that the Knowledge Hub seeks to engage the services of a Professional Writer to support the visibility of the Unit’s work by creating vibrant and compelling stories/ reports based on UNDP’s brand guidelines for a consistent and professional look.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work:
- The objective of this Consultancy is to provide high quality professional writing, innovative stories, messages and other multimedia content in line with UNDP’s policies and with focus on development & socioeconomic issues, conflict prevention, and human security, as it affects Nigeria.
- Under the direct supervision of the Knowledge Hub Coordinator, the Consultant will perform the following duties but not limited to:
- Write and develop story ideas across household poverty, socio-economic issues, conflict prevention and human security.
- Research and draft stories, interactive texts, message pyramids for the Knowledge Hub
- Contribute to and expand on the content plan for the Unit’s recently concluded Nationwide Poverty and Social Surveys
- Prepare a KH ‘storymap’ to schedule a pipeline of stories and written content based on data collected and sourced by the Unit
- Revise draft stories based on editorial feedback from the Knowledge Hub team and UNDP Communications team
- Edit text products to meet standards for publication on UNDP website and external publications
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
Areas of Research and Exploration include:
- Household poverty
- Societal trends in the development trajectory
- Socio-economic issues in Nigeria and other developing countries
Expected Outcome / Deliverables
The Consultant will be expected to deliver the following:
- A well documented report created in form of a story book using data analysed from the Nationwide Poverty Survey
- A well documented report created in form of a story book using data analysed from the Nationwide Social Survey
- Support with development of content and summary texts of data driven visualisations on Nigeria.
Timelines / Deliverables
|Deliverables / Outputs||Estimated Duration to Complete||Target Due Dates||Payment Structure (%)|
|First briefing/brainstorm as soon as possible after start date||1||1st August 2022||–|
|Upon submission of draft story map for Poverty report: Realities of Nigeria’s most underpriviledged||7 days||19th August 2022||20|
|Upon submission of final story map for Poverty report: Realities of Nigeria’s most underpriviledged||5 days||31st August 2022||25|
|Upon submission of draft story map for Social report||13 days||16th September 2022||20|
|Upon submission of final story map for Social report||5 days||30th September||25|
|Brainstorm/ Brief on Visualisation Story book||1 day||17th October||–|
|Upon submission of captivating input and structure for Visualisation book||8 days||23rd November 2022||10|
- The Writer will report directly to the UNDP Knowledge Hub Cooridnator and will work in close coordination with relevant team members.
- The Expert is expected to have the appropriate software, equipment, facilities or access to such to complete the required services.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master´s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Media Studies or a related field is required
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in Communications, Journalism or Public information in the development field
Required Skills and Experience:
- Master´s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Media Studies or a related field is required – 10 points
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in Communications, Journalism or Public information in the development field – 15 points
- Demonstrated experience in developing high-quality webstories or blogposts in English for an international audience. Please provide links to 2 samples of previous work in your application – 25 points
- Demonstrable experience in creating a versatile range of compelling written content including communicating data driven research findings. Please provide links to 2 samples of previous work in your application 25 points
- Experience working with multilateral organizations, UN system and/or familiarity with the subject areas of development, poverty, socio-economic drivers is an asset -10 points
- Excellent command of English (spoken and written) – 15 points
Combined Technical and Financial Score
- Technical Criteria weight is 70%
- Financial Criteria weight is 30%
- Criteria Weight Max. Point Technical Competence (based on CV, Proposal and interview (if required)) 70% 100 Financial (Lower Offer/Offer*100) 30% 30 Total Score Technical Score * 70% + Financial Score * 30%
Payment Term (s)
- The Financial Proposal will include all fees and costs associated with the execution of the contract, including professional fees, equipment and all other expenses that will be incurred during the execution of the work.
- Payment will be remitted subject to the approval of final deliverables by UNDP, and based on the contractor’s price proposal.
- The Consultant will be responsible for his/her own personal computer and other facilities required to perform the tasks outlined in Section B.
- If unforeseen travel outside the Duty Station not encompassed by the Terms of Reference is required and upon written agreement, such travel will be at UNDP’s expense and the individual contractor will receive a per diem not to exceed the United Nations daily subsistence allowance (DSA).
Application Closing Date
11th July, 2022 (Midnight New York, USA)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The consultant must maintain strict confidentiality about the information accessed in the framework of this consultancy.
- Individual consultants interested in applying for this position must complete their application using the Template for Offeror’s Letter to UNDP confirming interest and availability for the Individual Contractor (IC) assignment. The methodology, other documents and the Financial Proposal files MUST BE COMPLETELY SEPARATE (but submitted together as a zip file) If unable to submit zip file, kindly submit CV with Technical Proposal only. The financial proposal (Offeror’s Letter to UNDP confirming interest and availability for the Individual Contractor (IC) assignment) shall be encrypted with different passwords and clearly labelled. Financial Proposal without password will be disqualified.
- The password for opening the Financial Proposal should be provided only upon request of UNDP. UNDP will request password only from bidders whose Technical Proposal has been found to be technically responsive. Failure to provide correct password may result in the proposal being rejected.