Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Loccation: Maiduguri, Borno
Supervised by: Finance Team Leader
Reporting to: Finance Team Leader
Staff reporting to this post: Finance Assistant
Employment Period: 6 Months with the possibility of extension
Type of Contract (Expat/National/Trainee): National
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
- Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
- Under the direct supervision of the Finance Team Leader- Borno State, and technical supervision by the Finance Coordinator, the Finance Officer, assisted by a Finance Assistant, will oversee the daily finance and accounting management of Maiduguri base.
- He will make sure that financial procedures, policies, and requirements are implemented in compliance with DRC and Donors and to contribute to the achievement of DRC Vision, Mission & Values..
Duties and Responsibilities
- As an integral staff member of the Danish Refugee Council, the Finance Officer will provide support to the programme by undertaking practical operational tasks to ensure smooth, safe and efficient running of the office.
Responsibility 1: Management of the office cash flow include the forecasts:
- Prepare the bank transfer instructions for suppliers’ payment on time for Maiduguri office.
- Supervise the management of the cash and safe boxes for the cash payment in the office and on the field if required.
Responsibility 2: Hold a cash book and update at a daily basis the ERP-Dynamics system adequately:
- Ensures accurately recording of all transactions made by cash or bank, monitors timely receipt and expenditure returns from Program Team and ensures correct data entry and reconciliation in the Cash book and Dynamics.
- Manages daily operation in the area of accounting system which is in line with DRC and Donor’s requirements and ensures the records or entries are up to date in the cash books and Dynamics.
- Complies with Finance and Procurement guidelines when dealing with any transactions.
- Check the justification of operational advances before making payment and ensure of the settlement in a reasonable time.
- Check and control the elements of accounting packages, including the consistency between cash books and Dynamics entries, physical counting, and balances;
- Proceed to the monthly closure of accounting: physical counting, editing of accounting documents (cover sheets), verification of supporting documents;
- Stamp monthly the invoices with the donor stamp and/or the stamp “paid”;
- Ensures proper financial documentation in Maiduguri office.
Responsibility 3: Management of financial assets and liabilities of the base:
- Ensure a monthly reconciliation of all assets/liabilities received from the Headquarter and recorded in Nigeria Legal Entity and especially those of Maiduguri Office.
Responsibility 4: Tax deduction and remittance on time:
- Ensure that the withholding taxes is well calculated, recorded in the Dynamics System and paid at monthly basis.
- Follow up on the staff statutory and taxes payment at monthly basis and ensure that all receipts are collected and archived.
- Collect the taxes clearance certificate or credit notes when the payment is done.
- With support of Finance specialist and/or Finance Coordinator, takes the role of info-sharing to staff and PFAs in relation to HR matters (PAYE, PENSION, NSITF, NHF Payment
Responsibility 5: Archiving and Audit Management in Maiduguri,
- Ensure that all the supporting documents are attached per transaction in Dynamics.
- Ensure that all supporting (Hard copies) are scanned with covers sheet attached and saved on Nigeria Dropbox, hard drives, etc.
- At monthly basis, ensure that all folders containing finance records in Maiduguri base are coded and sent to Yola archive after every six month.
- Participate in audits preparation/execution (compilation of audit requirements)
- Provides feedback and enhances internal controls to satisfy audit requirements; takes part of providing data and records during the audit process; reports immediately on irregular spending to Finance specialist or Finance Coordinator as deemed appropriate.
Essential / Requirements
- Experience working in international Non-Governmental (INGO) with a background in Audit and compliance management is considered as an asset.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience in general accounting, finance, and Administration experience is needed
- Ability to work closely and effectively in a team to achieve work priorities and objectives.
- Ability to work with ERP-Dynamics will be an appreciated advantage.
- Enthusiasm as a team player, who is flexible, always ready to take on new challenges and drives for results in a dynamic environment
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and deliver under pressure.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and advise especially to non-finance colleague.
- A Good Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Etc.) is considerable.
- Female applicants are strongly advised to apply.
- General understanding of the northeast operational context is an added advantage.
Salary and Conditions
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Application Closing Date
8th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Nigerian Nationals only.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- However, all applicants shall take into consideration that DRC cannot offer an international work contract to a citizen of the country of assignment (in this specific case, Nigeria)