External Affairs Officer-ECREF
Job #: req22745
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 5/29/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
ECR PARTNERSHIPS AND PRACTICE GROUPS DEPARTMENT (ECRPG)
ECR’s Partnerships and Practice Groups department builds relationships with external stakeholders and guides the external outreach, engagement and positioning of WBG thought leadership to help deliver development outcomes and country impact.
ECRPG manages communications and engagement within the World Bank’s four Practice Groups and the Development Economics Vice Presidency. Through its Engagement and Partnerships team, it guides strategic engagement with civil society, faith-based organizations, parliamentarians, philanthropic organizations, private sector, local communities and drives advocacy and campaign initiatives—all with a view to helping the Bank Group deliver on its mission.
ECRPG teams working in the Practice Groups operate across the Global Practices-Regional-Corporate nexus, to drive momentum for global issues to deliver stronger country outcomes and keep attention on the most pressing development issues of our times.
Within the ECRPG team, ECREF is the division that provides strategic communication guidance to the Equitable Growth, Finance and Institutions Practice Group (EFI) and the Development Economics (DEC) department. The EFI Practice Group encompasses four Global Practices: Governance; Finance, Competitiveness & Innovation; Macroeconomics, Trade & Investment; and Poverty & Equity. The Development Economics Department leads the Bank’s research and data work and is responsible for a number of flagship publications.
The ECREF team works to ensure that high impact strategic communication approaches, aligned to EFI, DEC and corporate priorities, are deployed across the Practice Group, Global Practices and DEC. This includes a focus on strong messages, stakeholder engagement, reputation risk management, leadership communications, and advocacy.
ECREF is seeking to hire an external affairs officer, to work closely with the External Affairs Lead for Poverty and Equity as well as across the ECREF team, reporting to the ECREF Manager.
The External Affairs Officer will report to the ECREF Manager and will work closely with the EFI thematic leads, focal points, regional colleagues and other ECR corporate teams
As a key member of the ECREF team, the External Affairs Officer will:
- Under the guidance of the External Affairs lead, design, implement, and monitor results-oriented communications plans and campaigns on poverty and equity including positioning, stakeholder identification, opportunities, and risk management.
- Create and edit compelling narratives and content on assigned themes for different audiences, including briefs, speeches, news releases, feature stories, blogs, web overviews, and talking points.
- In coordination with the External Affairs Lead and with the focal point of Digital Communications, oversee the online producer to execute the online strategy on poverty and equity, ensuring alignment with WBG online guidelines.
- Help plan and organize public events and engagements, including for Spring and Annual Meetings.
- Serve as a focal point for Stakeholder Engagement and Partnerships in EFI, working across global practices and in coordination with the External and Corporate Relations
- (ECR) team for global engagement and partnerships, on outreach and engagement with key external stakeholders such as civil society, foundations, parliamentarians, and the private sector.
- Relevant mix of education and experience: Master’s degree with 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in a relevant discipline (communication, journalism, international affairs, or other related fields).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including proficiency in writing and editing on complex subject matters.
- Ability to nurture and maintain relationships with external constituencies, and experience in managing communications with civil society, international institutions, business groups, and media.
- Ability and personal organization skills to take initiative, personal ownership, and accountability to meet deadlines, work under pressure, and achieve agreed-upon results.
- Experience and skill in managing communications with civil society, international institutions, business groups, and other audiences critical to the Bank’s work, including media.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.