E T Consultant – Ethics Officer
Job #: req22802
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Ethics & Internal Justice Systems
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 5/31/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group (“WBG”) provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The WBG is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The WBG’s Ethics and Business Conduct Department (EBC) is committed to integrity, impartiality and independence in its work. EBC promotes the development and application of the highest ethical standards by staff members in the performance of their duties. EBC is headed by the Chief Ethics Officer, who is independent and reports directly to the President of the WBG.
EBC provides outreach and training to strengthen our WBG values, foster a culture of respect and integrity, and provides advice to staff and clients by providing counsel on conflicts of interest and compliance-related issues. EBC also addresses misconduct by reviewing and investigating allegations of misconduct. The WBG’s core values are impact, integrity, respect, teamwork and innovation. The core values reflect what the WBG stands for, how staff treat each other, and how the WBG treats is partners and clients. EBC plays an important role in helping to embed the WBG core values in the WBG’s programs, processes, and culture.
EBC is seeking to recruit an Ethics Officer to join its Advisory, Training and Values (ATV) team, to be based in the Singapore office the WBG. The Ethics Officer must have a proven record on providing advice and guidance on ethics and compliance issues in the workplace and delivering ethics training and/or communication content, including unprofessional workplace conduct, harassment, sexual harassment, bystander intervention, leadership, conflicts of interest and general compliance topics.
Role and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision and overall guidance of the Manager, ATV, the incumbent will carry out the following duties and accountabilities:
- Support the World Bank Country Management Units in the East Asia & Pacific (EAP) region of WBG management as needed in promoting ethical awareness and addressing ethical issues in the region.
- Conduct high quality pro-active outreach and training activities aimed at strengthening EBC’s awareness and ethics fundamentals in the region, including facilitating team conversations on the WBG’s core values and the Code of Ethics.
- Provide advice and guidance on ethics and compliance issues and questions including resolution of personal conflicts of interest, principles of staff employment and staff rules, in consultation, when relevant, with other EBC colleagues.
- Provide guidance when required on operational conflicts of interest issues in consultation with relevant colleagues in EBC.
- Research ethics and conduct related content (e.g. unprofessional workplace conduct, harassment, sexual harassment, bystander intervention, leadership, conflicts of interest and general compliance topics etc.).
- Collaborate with WBG colleagues and teams regarding ethics, ethical decision and dilemmas, in consultation with relevant colleagues in EBC.
- Contribute to the development of policies, strategies and priorities relevant to the country offices to ensure a professional and ethical work environment.
- Perform ad hoc duties when required, such as supporting the Anti-Harassment Coordinator or the Business Integrity Review unit when appropriate.
- Cooperate across the department on horizontal tasks when and as required.
- Be available to travel extensively to WBG offices in the region.
- Master`s Degree in law, ethics or related field, with 5 years’ relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in one or more of the following fields; ethics training, workplace investigations, corporate compliance, or a related field.
- Excellent communications and presentation skills, both oral and written; proven ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present, and discuss ethics and compliance issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to deal sensitively in a multicultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues across the organization.
- Prior work experience in Singapore and/or the EAP region and knowledge of local customs is highly desirable.
- Ability to assess risk in a practical and responsible manner and make fair, well-reasoned, independent and transparent decisions.
- Strong analytical and research skills, developing innovative and agile solutions.
- High integrity and a “can do” positive attitude and taking accountability for own and team’s work program.
- Demonstrated track record of multi-tasking including simultaneously managing multiple projects on a tight timetable, and timely delivery of expected assignments with strong attention to detail consistent
- Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant computer software, including advanced functions of WBG standard computer applications including Microsoft Office, Intranet and Internet software.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Independence. Able to perform duties in an objective manner, with discretion towards sensitive or confidential information.
- Professional Maturity. Demonstrate the ability to understand the importance of how behaviors and emotions can impact others and the success of the project or work.
- Experience in providing advice and guidance on ethics and compliance issues in the workplace, training and/or communicating on unprofessional workplace conduct, harassment, sexual harassment, bystander intervention, leadership, conflicts of interest and general compliance topics.
- Quick learner with exceptional work ethic, outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision where appropriate
- Commitment to innovation: learning and adopting to find better ways of doing things.
- Highest personal integrity and sound judgment with demonstrated ability to handle confidential matters in a discreet and respectful manner.
- Respect and compassion for individuals and the WBG, its mission, objectives and values.
- Commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion, and sensitivity to the WBG’s distinctive demographic and cross-cultural context and influences.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and build good work relations and ability to listen patiently and empathetically without forming hasty judgments.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.