Climate Smart Livestock Specialist
Job announcement : Jun 13, 2023
Publication cancellation date : Jun 27, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLDOM
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Dominican Republic
Duration: 3 months with the possibility of extension
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
During the period 2019-2022 the GEF project was implemented promoting climate-smart Livestock Management in the Dominican Republic ( GANACLIMA-RD ), generating evidence of the potential of the implementation of livestock technologies and good practices on improving efficiency, productivity and income, as well as reduction of greenhouse gas emissions ( GHG ) at the level of bovine livestock farms in the Yuna river basin. This project was implemented with technical assistance from FAO and financing from the GEF fund, in coordination with the Ministries of Agriculture and Environment, DIGEGA, CONALECHE, Banco Agrícola, IDIAF and FEGACIBAO.
In the framework of this pilot initiative, in September 2022 an inter-institutional agreement was consolidated between FAO and the Ministry of Agriculture, to offer technical assistance to Banco Agrícola with a view to designing and implementing the first line of green financing for the livestock sector in the Dominican Republic. Result of this agreement, in May 2023 the implementation of the project “Technological innovation and financial mechanisms to transform agri-food systems towards sustainable models in the Dominican Republic” began ( UTF / DOM / 025/DOM ), with the aim of promoting sustainable adoption and investment in climate-smart practices and technologies, which contributes to the transformation of the traditional livestock production model towards a more efficient, resilient model, inclusive and low carbon footprint.
To support the implementation of this project, It is planned to contract this position to coordinate the activities foreseen in the work plan established to develop and implement the first line of green financing for the livestock sector that will be managed by the Agricultural Bank.
Work base: La Vega, Dominican Republic. With trips to Santo Domingo and the provinces of the Yuna river basin.
The person to be hired will work under the direct supervision of the Representative of the FAO office in the Dominican Republic and will maintain a close flow of communication with the AFAOR-Programs and the AFAOR-Administration of FAODO, the Project Leader Technical Officer, with the technical teams of the Agricultural Bank and Ministry of Agriculture, as well as with the organizations of livestock producers and producers, and other collaborating institutions in the private sector, as necessary.
Field of specialization
Animal production, veterinary.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Specialist will work in coordination with the people responsible for Monitoring and Evaluation ( M&E ), and Project and FAODO office gender. In addition, it will be responsible for coordinating actions at the institutional level with partner entities and key public and private actors, as well as providing technical leadership to carry out the tasks set forth in the project work plan, ensuring the participation of different actors and a gender approach. To do this, the person to be hired will carry out the following tasks:
- Prepare a work plan for the development of the contracted position, and agree with FAO and key project actors.
- Form the technical team planned to support the implementation of the project, including the preparation of terms of reference and support for the personnel recruitment processes.
- Form the governance instances of the project and ensure its operation and contribution to the proper implementation of the project.
- Support project socialization activities with key actors in the livestock and financial sector of the Dominican Republic.
- Support the organization of technical seminars and spaces for exchanges of experiences, around the implementation of green financing mechanisms to promote the climate smart livestock approach.
- Coordinate and lead meetings and workshops with managers of Banco Agrícola and actors in the livestock sector, to validate the proposal for a green financial product sensitive to gender, to promote the climate smart livestock approach.
- Provide technical leadership in the process of implementing the gender-sensitive green financial product to promote a climate-smart livestock approach.
- Ensure monitoring and monitoring of compliance with goals and indicators corresponding to the activities and expected products of the project, in coordination with the FAODO staff responsible for M&E.
- Ensure the implementation of project activities with a gender focus, in coordination with FAODO staff responsible for gender.
- Elaborar informes de avances y planes operativos anuales relacionados con la implementación del proyecto.
- Asegurar un flujo de información oportuno y continuo entre FAO, el Banco Agrícola, el Ministerio de Agricultura y otros actores clave vinculados a la implementación del proyecto.
- Apoyar el proceso de fortalecimiento de capacidades técnicas del personal técnico y directivo Banco Agrícola y Ministerio de Agricultura, así como organizaciones de productores y productoras de la cuenca Yuna, para implementar tecnologías bajo el enfoque de GCI.
LOS/AS CANDIDATOS/AS SERÁN EVALUADOS/AS EN BASE A LOS SIGUIENTES CRITERIOS:
- Nacional de la República Dominicana
- Título universitario de Ingeniero en Producción Animal, Licenciado en Medicina Veterinaria o áreas afines. Maestría, Doctorado en Producción animal o áreas afines.
- At least 5 years of work experience promoting the climate smart Livestock approach with actors from the livestock sector.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish ( Level C ), English level B, desirable.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
- Building effective relationships
Technical / functional skills
- Ability to write reports and technical documents.
- Availability to travel and work in the field for the entire duration of the contract.
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills.
- Demonstrated work experience in development project management and with government institutions
- Willing to work as a team and in multicultural contexts.
- Ability to work under pressure and against tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of the work carried out by the credit department of Banco Agrícola and livestock extension technicians is desirable.
- Knowledge of the provinces in the project intervention area ( La Vega, Monsignor Nouel, Duarte, Espaillat, Sánchez Ramírez, Maria Trinidad Sánchez, Samaná and Monte Plata ), is desirable.
- Familiarity with the work and programs of FAO and / or other UN agencies working in these areas is desirable.
- Familiarity with mainstreaming and applying the gender equality approach
- Only pre-selected applicants who will go to the Panel interview stage will be contacted.
- Entre las candidaturas recibidas se realizará una preselección basada en la compatibilidad de los perfiles profesionales y las competencias requeridas.
- La persona con mejor desempeño en la entrevista será aquella que resulte como la seleccionada.
- Se podrán considerar postulantes para otras posiciones abiertas en FAO.
- Esta posición está abierta solo para nacionales de la República Dominicana.
- La FAO no cobra tasas en ninguna etapa del proceso de contratación (solicitud, entrevista, tramitación).
- Las solicitudes incompletas no se tendrán en cuenta. Si necesita ayuda o tiene dudas, contacte con: Careers@fao.org
- Las solicitudes recibidas después del vencimiento del plazo de presentación de solicitudes no se aceptarán.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE