The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) supports citizens’ rights to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing democracies, to mature democracies.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Electoral Technology and Integrity Consultant
Position Number: 22:159
Division: Program Management
- We are currently recruiting an Electoral Technology and Integrity Consultant (ETIC) to provide electoral technology and integrity support to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and State Independent Electoral Commissions (SIECs) in Nigeria, under a USAID-funded program entitled Supporting Electoral Accountability & Transparency (SEAT).
- The SEAT program is designed to build the capacity of Nigerian electoral management bodies at the national and state levels to better inform, engage Nigerian citizens on electoral and political processes, and engage in international observation to promote the transparency of Nigerian elections.
Primary Function / Purpose
- The ETIC will provide strategic guidance, capacity building and vision in support of IFES’ implementation of electoral technology assistance to INEC and SIECs.
- This individual will implement related activities, provide technical direction and support, and contribute to the accurate reporting of program activities and results to IFES headquarters (HQ) and the donor.
- This consultancy is planned to be four months in duration with an anticipated level of effort of 75 billable days. The consultancy is expected to start no later than September 1, 2022, and may conducted over one or two deployments.
- Serve as an advisor in Nigeria, providing technical support and advice to INEC and SIECs, especially in the area of electoral results management and electronic transfer of elections result
- Build and foster capacity and leadership of INEC and SIECs on related topics
- Contribute to workplan design and implementation, as well as evaluating program strategies and activities
- Lead efforts in planning and organizing cybersecurity activities in accordance with IFES Holistic Exposure and Testing (HEAT) methodology, including assessment of strengths, monitoring of weaknesses, streamlining cybersecurity management, and mitigating risks
- Provide technical input related to technology and cybersecurity during the development and finalization of various documents
- Brief relevant partners on technology and cybersecurity-related development in local and global context
- Coordinate with INEC in providing technical assistance on elections result transmission issues
- Advise on public messaging to instill confidence in the cybersecurity of key electoral systems
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with the INEC, SIECs, civil society organizations, international NGOs and the donor community
- Conduct detailed and ongoing assessment of the EMB’s capacity and establishment of a technical assistance plan, based on the electoral calendar and priority areas of assistance
- Coordinate closely with other consultants and field experts on program components
- Contribute to the elaboration of subrecipient scopes of work, capacity building and local oversight of their programmatic work and deliverables
- Advise on the general implementation of electoral activities, providing support to improve electoral systems and procedures
- Contribute to the drafting and timely submission of detailed weekly and quarterly reports during the period of performance, ensuring that they meet USAID and IFES reporting requirements
- Contribute to written technical reports, briefing papers, and IFES thought pieces.
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Politics, Development, or related field, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with election administration
- Proven track record with democracy and governance programming in developing countries
- Solid experience working with civil society and in designing and implementing civic programs
- Solid experience working with elections management bodies in election administration capacity development, training, drafting of elections procedures, logistics and planning, outreach and engagement of electoral stakeholders is required
- Familiarity with the international donor community and experience as an action-oriented interlocutor with democracy-development actors at all levels
- Demonstrated knowledge of critical electoral technology and cybersecurity
- Knowledge of and background in use of electoral technologies in comparable contexts
- Demonstrated knowledge in proposal and report writing and management of budgets
- Ability and skills to promote and inspire effective collaboration between individuals, organizations and networks
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, and communications skills to meet the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience living and working overseas, preferably in Africa and/or comparable contexts
- Knowledge of African politics and development preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel
- Fluency in written and spoken English required. Proficiency in at least one other language in use within assigned project location is strongly preferred.
- Some regional travel within Nigeria may be required under this contract.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online