COOPI is looking for a Regional Security Advisor in East Africa
Description of the role
The Project Administrator will report to the Country administrator (functional) and the Head of Mission(line manager). He/she will be the focal person directly responsible for the overall administration aspects of the assigned projects. He/she will responsible to ensure the procuremet and administrative compliancy of COOPI and Donor regulations during the implementations of the activities.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Coordinator and under the functional supervision of the HQ Security Advisor, the collaborator will provide the following deliverables:
Review and Development of Mission Policies and Procedures:
- Work with the Country Security focal points and the Head of mission to develop, consolidate, implement, and regularly review operating procedures and security plans. A reviewed set of Security tools is expected, including the following:
– Area Security Plans for the different areas of intervention
– Review of the SOP Movement and tracking system
– Review/re-development of Hibernation and Evacuation plan
– Review & development (for new areas) of Risk Analysis matrix at Country and Area level
- Set-up of safety & security equipment / assets list needed to guarantee the security in the area of interventions for the list to be included in future project proposals and procurement plans.
- In coordination with the Country Logistics and the Head of Mission, review and update of the organization’s security tools.
Monitoring, Analysis and Coordination:
- Collect and report information on safety and security risks in relevant areas.
- Analyze security-related incidents from internal and external sources.
- Ensure the implementation of incident reporting mechanisms and regular security measures checks at the mission level.
- Liaise with humanitarian actors to gather information on safety and security and attend access and security meetings.
- Regularly analyze and update COOPI’s vulnerabilities in its areas of intervention, including those related to the emergency programme activities.
- Advise and propose solutions to improve access to beneficiaries.
- Monitor and analyze regional security situations.
- Develop regional trend summaries based on Country Security Reports.
- Share findings with country directors and the regional team.
- Regularly update and monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and ensure their compliance with COOPI security rules.
- Propose, define and write new SOPs when needed on the mission.
- Carry out field Mission to Somalia and Sudan to verify the knowledge, application and validity of SOPs/plans.
Regional Coordination and Country Supervision:
- Serve as the technical supervisor for Security Focal Point/Managers in each country office.
- Participate in country-level recruitment for security staff.
- Coordinate with the regional team to incorporate security considerations into planning.
- Monitor and audit country-level progress toward improvements.
Training, Learning, and Knowledge Sharing:
- Develop and deliver tailored training and coaching programs for Country Security Focal Points to enhance their capacity in security management.
- Support the rollout of COOPI’s Security strategy, policies, and tools through training and workshops.
- Assist Country Security Focal Points in arranging security training workshops.
- Monitor training and ensure that it remains up-to-date, especially in high-risk areas.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in international security, access, and risk management in conflict-affected countries or complex relief settings with international NGOs.
- Experience in implementing security strategies, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Strong training and mentoring skills, specifically related to building the capacity of Country Security Focal Points.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of regional languages is an advantage.
- Ability to work independently and meet tight deadlines in difficult conditions.
- Knowledge of Eastern Africa context and dynamics.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. For more than 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
How to apply
Please send your CV and motivation letter via the following link – https://coopi.org/en/job-position.html?id=5002&view=2