INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Deputy Finance Coordinator
Duty station: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Starting date: 17/07/2022
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Country Finance Coordinator
Supervision of: Senior Finance Officer
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
According to the Nigeria Humanitarian Response Plan 2022, 8.4 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in the north-east and north-west of the country, with the majority of them being women and children who are facing significant protection risks. The people in need is likely to increase due to continuation of insecurity in the intervention areas with IDPs fleeing to relatively safer places.
INTERSOS has been rendering humanitarian responses in Nigeria since 2016, providing life-saving support from the most affected communities such as health and nutrition, covid-19 response and vaccination, protection, food security and livelihoods, shelter, access to clean water and sanitation, camp coordination, and common warehouse management.
General purpose of the position
The PFA will provide the leadership and direction to ensure the development of relevant financial information, and timely financial budgeting and planning and financial reporting for senior leadership, donors, and key stakeholders. The PFA will assist the CFC in managing and controlling the organization’s financial processes, making the necessary changes to upgrade and improve process, policies or procedures, and develop the finance team of the mission.
The PFA will also undertake special tasks at the direction of the CFC in areas of financial systems development.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Cash flow – Consolidate monthly cash needs from financial plans and compile weekly / monthly cash forecasts.
- Proposal development – act as a focal Finance point during the process of Proposal Development and budgets creation. Cooperate closely with CFC and HOM.
- Reporting – PFA will ensure the schedule for Donor reporting is respected and all reports are compiled in an accurate and timely manner and submitted to CFC for verification and approval. In terms of internal reporting, PFA will lead and coordinate regular monthly BvFP (budget vs Financial Plan).
- Audit – preparation for internal and external annual, ad hoc and donor audits closely with CFC and HOM.
- Grants Management – work closely with Grants Department, ensuring that donor finance guidelines, formats and processes are understood by all affected colleagues at the start of each project and being adhered to throughout the project.
- To ensure compliance with INTERSOS and donor procedures.
- To update the economic and financial status of the mission and related-projects, in terms of expenses, appropriations, available cash and liquidity (Prima Nota).
- To support the CFC in order to perform monthly Bank reconciliations.
- To set up, organize and manage the administrative files pertaining to the mission and in loco projects, based on criteria defined by the Protocols and any indications from the CFC.
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree from a recognized academic institution in one or more of the following areas is preferred: Finance Management, Business Administration, Management, International Economics, International Development, Contract/Commercial Law.
- First University degree combined with demonstrated professional work experience and understanding of relevant functions may be considered in lieu of advanced university degree, preferably combined with accredited courses or certifications from relevant professional bodies in admin & finance management, procurement.
Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience at national and international level working as admin-finance Manager
- Strong understanding of budgeting and financial management
- Excellent computer skills, especially Excel
- Demonstrated leadership and very good interpersonal/communication skills
- Demonstrate experience with different donor finance compliance and reporting
- Ability to perform and assure high accuracy in work under stress
- Positive and solution oriented personality
Fluency in English is required.
1) Core Values
– Commitment and Respect of local culture · Diversity and Inclusion · Integrity
2) Core Competencies
– Communication · Drive for Result · Working with People of all backgrounds and cultures.
3) Key Functional Competencies
– Leading and Supervising · Deciding and Initiating Actions · Planning and Organizing · Conflict resolution skills.
4) Skills and knowledge
– Ability to work strategically, independently and to realize organizational goals, develop strategies, set clear visions.
– Ability to persuade and influence, negotiate to obtain agreement, and promote ideas.
– Ability to network and establish good relations with stakeholders, at all levels.
– Fast learner, adapts and responds to change, tolerates ambiguity.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/628751925e9cb1001ff40688/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS. In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-49-2554-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.