Position Title : Database and Information Management Officer
Duty Station : Yangon, Myanmar
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has been present in Myanmar since 2005 and is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees, Internally Displaced People (IDP), victims of trafficking, stranded migrants, and other vulnerable migrants.
As a result of the multifaceted crises faced in Myanmar in 2021, emergency and humanitarian needs have been increasing across the country. There has been an identified need for better data on mobility, populations and needs to support the humanitarian response. As such, IOM is aiming to support this effort as part of its humanitarian response programming in the country.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator, the Database and Information Management Officer will facilitate the set-up and implementation of needs and mobility monitoring and associated tasks.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Develop, test and deploy databases, including the compilation of business requirements, and the preparation of specifications, user and technical documentation and standards for related applications.
2. Work closely with the Senior Programme Coordinator to produce data, statistics, charts, graphs and information for the preparation of presentations, analyses and reports for external stakeholders.
3. Participate in external coordination mechanisms as needed, including the Information Management Working Group and other relevant fora.
4. Contribute to the development of data collection tools, applications, dashboards, and statistical reports and maps.
5. Provide user support, guidelines/training materials and training to program staff, field teams, implementing partners and relevant institutions in relation to data collection and processing systems.
6. Assist in filing systems improvement.
7. Contribute to the development of analytical tools and reports for displacement trends, migration analysis, needs assessment and programme activities using the various program databases.
8. Coordinate the timely and efficient collection and analysis of data, including through the provision of appropriate Geographic Information Systems (GIS) / mapping tools and products.
9. Facilitate the integration of GIS data into the relevant database systems.
10. Assist in the preparation of country atlases and regularly update base maps in line with identified requirements.
11. Provide input for geographic data and administrative divisions for various databases for tracking population movements and displacement locations.
12. Provide technical inputs into ongoing information management initiatives and partnerships.
13. Assist global GIS data storage, development and mapping.
14. Support the overall IM functions and priorities of the country office by contributing to the development and maintenance of common/consistent databases and information management and reporting practices.
15. Ensure adherence to data protection principles for handling personal data of IOM beneficiaries, regarding the collection, use, storage, disclosure and disposal of personal data, as well as compliance to IOM’s data collection and storage principles.
16. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Database Management, Software Development, Business Administration, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Extensive experience and knowledge of SQL is a pre-requisite;
• Minimum two years of experience using some or all of the following tools: Excel, Microsoft
Visual Studio (ASP .NET C#), Php, and MySQL Server, SQL server;
• Experience in Information Management, management and coordination of information flows, data management including collection, storing, processing, and analyzing data to generate information products;
• Experience in managing data entry and maintenance;
• Experience with Illustrator, InDesign, PowerBI and ArcGIS is an advantage.
• Ability to organize an information flow.
• Advanced Computer knowledge use including SQL database systems, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word), ARC GIS, Google Earth.
• Knowledge of KoBo, Open Data Kit (ODK) applications and use of PDAs.
• Familiarity with mobile data collection technologies and GPS an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Fluency in Myanmar Language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 14 June 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 01.06.2022 to 14.06.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 166 Database and Information Management Officer (P2) Yangon, Myanmar
Posting: Posting NC57602500 (57602500) Released