Chemonics’ Famine Early Warning Systems network project seeks a full-time data systems manager. The Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) is an integrated set of activities funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and is intended to provide timely, accurate, evidence-based, and transparent food security early warning information and analysis. The Data Systems Manager will play a vital role within the data sector and, at the direction of the Data Advisor, Markets and Trade (M&T) Advisor, and in collaboration with other relevant EWT staff, will support on-going data management for the EWT, identify opportunities to enhance data management processes, test and roll out new data analysis and visualization products, provide technical troubleshooting support to EWT staff, develop data products relevant to the EWT food security analysis, and collaborate closely with the Hub on the management of the FDW and FDE. This position will be based in Washington, D.C.
- Engage with other EWT technical sectors (M&T, Decision Support, Livelihoods, etc.) within the EWT to identify opportunities to enhance data management processes.
- Build, maintain, and provide training on data analysis and visualization tools and platforms (Microsoft Excel refreshable workbooks, PowerBI dashboards, etc.) to improve data use across EWT staff.
- Develop detailed guidance and trainings on new data visualization tools.
- Provide support to all EWT staff on data analysis tools and platforms and FDW and FDE access. Develop and carry out training sessions on the use of FDW and FDE domains and associated tools, including new analysis and visualization tools.
- Support ongoing initiatives developing data visualization tools on the FEWS NET website.
- Work closely with EWT regional and project office colleagues to support ongoing API initiatives to automate data ingestion from secondary sources into the FDW.
- Provide support and management of FDW metadata set-up and updates for the data domains for which the EWT is responsible.
- Clean and process monthly datasets for eventual upload into the FDW and FEWS NET CKAN system.
- Serve as a technical coordinator for the EWT regional data assistants, coordinating cross-team communication and building their capacity.
- Support the EWT’s collaboration with the FEWS NET Hub on FDW and FDE related helpdesk tickets.
- Fluency in English required; French, Spanish, and/or Arabic language skills desirable.
- Education and experience in a discipline relevant to the data management work of FEWS NET, such as computer science, data science or a related field.
- At least two years of relevant experience (with PhD), four years of relevant experience (with Master’s degree), or six years of relevant experience (with Bachelor’s degree) is required. Relevant experience includes managing large and complex datasets and relational databases and developing data visualizations using multiple data streams (static and dynamic).
- Ability to maintain database standards, guidelines, and procedures; process non-standard data; and balance multiple tasks with tight deadlines is required.
- Proven experience in data manipulation and analysis software such as R, Python, PowerBi, or similar tool is required.
- Demonstrated ability in handling and processing non-standardized data is required.
- Excellent computer skills with an expert level in Microsoft Excel is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in person, by phone, and through email are required.
- Ability to work collaboratively across multidisciplinary teams and adapt to changing environment.
- Detail-oriented, analytical thinker with the ability to identify and pro-actively solve problems.
How to apply
The data systems manager position will remain open for applications through November 8th, 2023. To apply, please visit Position Description (taleo.net). All application materials, including responses to the general information form, CVs, and cover letters, should be provided in English. No telephone inquiries. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. A full scope of work for this position can be found at https://fews.net/jobs.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors. Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.