World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Innovation Officer (NOB)
Job ID: 2205825
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 6 Months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Grade: No grade
Purpose of the Post
- Evidence-based decision making, and data use remains a major challenge in improving and maintaining the quality of immunization and effective vaccine preventable diseases surveillance, effective and timely response, and interruption of outbreaks. These challenges can be addressed by the implementation of digital tools.
- The spread and use of electronic and mHealth tools have grown considerably over the years in the 21st century. Digitizing data and optimizing data management processes, especially with the use of mobile devices has become crucial to securing and maintaining a competitive advantage while improving use of data for action.
- The use of electronic and mHealth tools as part of innovative approaches to improve program implementation is seriously being leveraged at the National, State, and LGA levels in Nigeria, automating data management processes to identify gaps, monitor trends and guide decision making for EPI programs.
- Availing accurate, reliable, timely and complete data is essential in program and project implementation. Partners are providing technical assistance and supporting in the Country’s efforts to effectively use data for action.
- WHO, as a lead technical agency, provides support in planning and implementing innovative electronic and mHealth solutions, data analysis and interpretation for actions as well as monitoring implementation of planned activities.
- The purpose of this post is to advance an innovations team to sustain and improve on electronic and mHealth innovations and associated use of data for action.
Objectives of the Programme
- To sustain the present gains of the EPI program, automate data management and M&E processes as well as improve data quality and use, this post is to provide technical support on development and monitoring of data strengthening activities outlined in the country’s immunization strategic and data improvement plans while facilitating implementation of innovative solutions to monitor and provide real time analytics for information collected using the electronic and mHealth tools.
- The incumbent will be responsible for:-
- Providing technical support for planning and implementation of innovative electronic and mHealth solutions;
- Automating analytics and facilitate data use through triangulation of different data available to aid decision making;
- Supporting capacity building for government staff on electronic and mHealth tools
- Coordinating downstream ICT and helpdesk support for end users of mHealth tools;
- Providing first level ICT and server management support
Under the overall guidance of the WHO country office representative and over all supervision of PEP cluster lead and guidance of the M&E Officer, the innovations focal point will carry out the following specific tasks:
- Provide routine and periodic analysis, triangulation and feedback of mobile device data on Surveillance, Immunization & Logistics, Operations, Programme Management, etc., as per program requirements.
- Develop and provide capacity building and training to colleagues within WHO, and to partners, including Ministries of Health, with focus on mHealth tools.
- Liaise with vendors on software development targeted towards data quality improvement.
- In collaboration with government and partners, participate in the preparation of the annual program of work, budget and evaluation reports of the HSS, including the participation in resource mobilization activities.
- Gather requirements, facilitate development and implementation of electronic and mHealth solutions for data collection as well as data use for action as per the programmatic need of government, partners, and within WHO.
- Support documentation and archiving of EPI activities in compliance with UN policies and procedures on data security, confidentiality and protection
- Support M&E and WHO accountability framework implementation.
- Manage websites and platforms for mobile data archiving, review and visualization, including Geospatial analysis.
- Provide first level ICT and server management support for onsite server infrastructure as well as coordinate downstream ICT and helpdesk support to end users of mHealth tools.
- Represent WHO as needed in meetings and conferences where data are presented or discussed.
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative.
Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
The following key performance indicators will be monitored to assess the contribution of the incumbent towards the overall assignment objective:
- Support for DHIS2, RI SMS and similar electronic / mHealth project planning, operationalization, and optimization.
- Availability of SMART project plans for supporting DHIS2 , RI SMS and similar electronic/mhealth interventions in the country office.
- Support for electronic and mHealth tools development, dashboard development and data use.
- Dashboard and data analysis.
- Daily SMS gateway management, server monitoring and issues resolution / escalation.
- SitRep, reports, minutes and feedback on programs, projects, trainings and services supported.
Cross Cutting Tasks:
- Design and implementation of electronic and mHealth data collection tools
- Capacity building on electronic / mHealth innovations
- Maintain an up-to-date archive for information products
- Support for AVADAR program, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Essential: University Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Software Development, Monitoring & Evaluation or its equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Desirable: Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, with additional training on DHIS2, mHealth tools development and business intelligence and analytics tools. Project management certification will be an added advantage
- At least 2 years experience in health-related data management function.
- Experience in data quality collection, analysis, dissemination, and use of health information for program planning and management.
- Experience in database development, electronic and mHealth tools development, ICT and server management.
- Experience in roll out and implementation of mHealth tools for data collection and quality improvements within UN or WHO.
- Excellent knowledge of English language.
- Producing results;
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to organize and provide training for programs and data managers
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues and partners at national and international levels
- Ability to provide leadership and monitor progress
- Computer software program proficiency including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access database, Power BI, EPI Info, ODK, Google Apps, DHIS2, ArcGIS, Windows Server, Ubuntu Server, App/platform integration, Visual Code, IntelliJ IDE, MySQL
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively in Nigeria.
- Expert knowledge of statistical application programs (EPI INFO, SPSS, STATA etc.), mHealth tools (ODK, Kobo Collect, etc.), BI and Analytics suites (PowerBI, Tableau, etc.) and mapping programs (ArcGIS, QGIS etc.).
Application Closing Date
27th June, 2022 at 10:59 PM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.