Who We Are
Girl Effect is an international non-profit that builds media that girls want, trust and need.
From chatbots to chat shows and TV dramas to tech, our content helps adolescent girls in Africa and Asia make choices and changes in their lives, igniting their confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future.
We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships, and so much more. To arm girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible “for a girl”.
Our reach is 50 million and counting. And we’re using technology to reach girls at scale so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, health, learning and livelihood.
Because when a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, community, and country.
That’s the Girl Effect.
For over a decade, we have been building technology that aims to create a safer, more accessible world for women and girls, using the insights and experiences girls share with us. Innovation for us is about using the right tech in the best way to reach girls and meet their challenges. As technology evolves and girls’ habits change, we adapt and improve the platforms, processes, and infrastructure that underpin everything we do. We are an evidence-based learning organisation, collecting and using data and insights to understand how we can maximise our reach & impact and feed that learning back into the organisation.
Context of Assignment
We are completing a fresh re-platforming of our data architecture. Over the next 12-18 months, we have an exciting and varied portfolio of work planned across Girl Effect, including conducting research to inform our programme set-up in new geographies like Kenya, impact evaluations of established programmes in countries like India, Ethiopia, Tanzania, and South Africa; ongoing monitoring – including of our digital products using analytics and other digital methods; creative and content testing to understand how girls are engaging with our output; experimental approaches to longitudinal evaluation; and a range of other work.
With several important workstreams kicking off in the new year, we are looking for a Data Analyst experienced with digital methods, excited to work across various programmes & geographies, and with a flexible can-do attitude.
You will take ownership of our business intelligence platform, ensuring our teams effectively leverage the extensive scope of data available.
The Data Analyst should have experience developing dashboards using Microsoft PowerBI (or equivalent software) and some expertise in performing data transformations using Python and SQL with a technical background extensive enough to understand data infrastructures set up on platforms like Azure.
The Data Analyst will primarily support the development of dashboards with inputs from Girl Effect stakeholders that will use these dashboards for strategic decision-making. Developing these dashboards will require an in-depth understanding of our data infrastructure data structures and a deep understanding of the types of strategic decisions Girl Effect hopes to make through these dashboards. For complex data analysis requests, the data analyst may be required to support the data scientist using Python and/or R to perform the analysis.
- The consultant will be expected to be available for 4-5 days (32-40 hours) per week from November 2023 to April 2023.
The consultant will be remote and must be conducive to working with teams in the UK, USA, Sub-Saharan Africa & India synchronously and asynchronously.
● Terms of reference published: October 19, 2023
● Deadline for responses:November 1, 2023
● Project commencement: Mid-November 2023
Specific tasks and deliverables may vary, but example deliverables may include:
- The delivery of dashboards designed for specific stakeholders or users (i.e. the marketing team, the MERL team, the programmes team, the fundraising team)
- Data analysis of a specific set of chatbot users and what message sets they accessed on what timeframes to be used for impact assessment
The consultant will report to and work closely with the Digital Data Analyst and Fractional CTO.
Who You Are
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Expertise in Python data analysis libraries (e.g. pandas) and SQL
- Experience working with digital analytics data (e.g. Facebook analytics, Google Analytics, etc.)
- Experience working with database infrastructures and understanding how such infrastructure fits into data reporting.
- Experience with using digital data analytics to make strategic decisions about products, interventions, or outcomes
- Proficiency with data analysis software packages
- Experience in presenting basic and sophisticated analysis to different teams and supporting them to understand and use data to learn and adapt.
- Demonstrated skills in producing high quality, innovative and engaging research presentations and briefings for diverse audiences.
- Excellent organisation and project management skills; able to develop and drive research processes and timelines.
- Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity about the cultures within which Girl Effect operates.
- Experience coordinating work-streams across multiple geographies and ability to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds.
Your proposal should be 5 pages max and cover the following:
- Cover letter -Please tell us why you feel you are well-placed to advise us on this
- Credentials/Profile/CV – Please showcase any previous work that you consider relevant to what we are trying to achieve, how we approach our work, and the audience we cater to. Describe the qualifications, experience, and capabilities of the firm or consultant in providing the requested services.
- Reference- Provide at least three references for similar contracts with a description of the service provided, the value of the contract, and the contract periods of performance.
- Breakdown of Costs with applicable taxes and other charges clearly identified in USD. Consultants should provide their daily or hourly billing rate or their proposed fixed fee for the requested deliverables.
- All applicable taxes should be quoted separately;
In their proposal, the bidder must demonstrate an understanding of the requirements described in the RFP and demonstrate how the bidder will meet the requirements of the evaluation criteria.
GE is not liable for any cost incurred during the award/contract preparation, submission, or negotiation of the award/contract. All submitted documentation and/or materials shall become and remain the property of GE.
VALIDITY of the proposal shall be for 90 days from the date of bid closure
The criteria against which proposals will be evaluated are listed below.
- Interpretation and understanding of this TOR – 10%
- Showcases relevant experience in having done previous similar work with relevant agencies or organizations – 25%
- Professional Qualification and Technical Experience/Knowledge (Share CV/Profile/Credentials)- 25%
- Evidence of a minimum of three contactable references – 10%
- Value for money/proposed budget breakdown – 30%
Girl Effect is committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity, or expression. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is truly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to procuring consultancy services of organizations and individuals with a deep understanding and experience of our programming markets and diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
You may be required to undertake safeguarding checks. Shortlisted consultants will be assessed on our organizational values at the interview stage. The successful consultant will be expected to adhere to our safeguarding policy. We encourage you to read and understand our safeguarding policy, the executive summary of which can be found here. We have zero tolerance for all forms of violence against children, beneficiaries and staff.
Applicants are advised to ensure that they have a clear understanding of their tax position with regards to provisions of their local jurisdiction tax legislation when developing their proposals.
GE reserves the right to determine the structure of the process, the number of short-listed participants, the right to withdraw from the proposal process, the right to change this timetable at any time without notice and reserves the right to withdraw this tender at any time, without prior notice and without liability to compensate and/or reimburse any party. GE shall inform the ONLY successful applicant(s). The process of negotiation and signing of the contract with the successful applicant(s) will follow.
How to apply
Please submit proposals, as described above, to email@example.com by 1st November 2023, 5:00 pm EAT latest. Please clearly mark your email with the subject “Data Analyst”.