CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 2301711
Consultant(e) International(e) en cultures fourragères
Publication d’offre: 11/sept./2023
Date de dépublication: 25/sept./2023, 21:59:00
Organizational Unit : FNALG
Type d’emploi: Travail temporaire
Type de réquisition : Consultant
Grade : N/A
Lieu principal: Algérie
Durée : 55 Jours étalés sur six Mois
Numéro de poste : N/A
FAO is committed to ensuring – gender, balanced geographic distribution and linguistic diversity – among its staff and the international consultants it employs, to best serve Member States in all regions.
- FAO is committed to ensuring the diversity of its workforce, ensuring balanced representation of women and men as well as nationalities, profiles and cultures.
- Women, nationals ( e ) s of unrepresented or underrepresented Member States and persons with disabilities with the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- Everyone working for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to respect the values of FAO.
- FAO, as the specialized agency of the United Nations, has adopted a zero tolerance policy with regard to behavior incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of power and discrimination.
- The references and background of all selected candidates will be subject to rigorous verification.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The dairy cattle sector plays a strategic role in Algeria in view of its impact on food security and its socio-economic place. The national strategy implemented to organize the dairy cattle sector in Algeria and increase the production of milk and meat, is justified by the strategic nature acquired of these products among national priorities and for which self-sufficiency has become imperative. The milk sector deserves the greatest attention because of its many implications in the national and family economy, as well as in the country’s food security improvement strategy. The total cattle population is estimated at around 1.9 million head ( MADR, 2020 ), including 908,412 dairy cows.This breeding plays an important role in the Algerian agricultural economy and contributes 49% to cover national needs for animal proteins but also to the creation of jobs in rural areas.
Despite its performance, the dairy sector faces various constraints, particularly affecting upstream ( producers ) and faces challenges, notably linked to the climate, to the stagnation of the market and to the size of the farms, namely 44% of the breeders have between 1 to 5 dairy cows and 40% by having between 6 and 12. Milk activity is in deficit for the majority of farms, which are drawn into a spiral of underperformance which compromises their future sustainability, mainly due to the lack of fodder resources, very high cost, low genetic potential and lack of advice and development support.
The « project Support for the sustainable and inclusive development of the milk sector in Algeria targeting women and young people in particular » ( TCP / ALG/3902 ) will support the current efforts of the government to strengthen the dairy beef milk sector through the development of a national strategy with action plans, a capacity building program in the various links in the sector, thus pilot operations on the identification of dairy cattle subsidized by the State.
Forage production is a pillar of animal production and in particular the dairy sector.
The consultant will work under the general supervision of the representative FAO in Algeria and the supervision of the technical official responsible for Animal Health and Production ( LTO ) at the FAO subregional office for North Africa ( SNEMD ),
Area of specialization
The consultant will be responsible for developing the strategy for the development of fodder crops in Algeria.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Submit a work plan with methodology and timetable ;
- Collect / analyze existing data and documentation ;
- Consult the various stakeholders: Department of Agriculture and Rural Development ( Directorate of animal production, the Technical Institute of Livestock, the Strategy Department, INRA, interprofessions…etc.
- Carry out a participatory SWOT analysis on the production of fodder crops in Algeria ;
- Prepare a 2024-2030 strategy on the production of fodder crops in Algeria based on the results of the SWOT analysis. The formulation of the strategy must be done in a participatory manner with the partners and according to the FAO model in particular: – Identify the vision and the strategic axes ; – Define the priorities and the axes of intervention in the areas pre-identified the participatory SWOT analysis; – Propose a logical framework with the results chain ( Impact, Effects, Products, Activities, Objectively verifiable indicators ) and a risk analysis with objectively verifiable indicators ) ;
- Specify the material, human and technical means necessary for the operationalization of the national strategy and the responsibilities of each stakeholder
- Develop an action plan for the implementation of the strategy
- Develop a technical sheet for at least 6 fodder crops
- Develop a training guide on the technical route of the main fodder crops, their collection, processing / storage and their use in animal feed ;
- Prepare mission reports.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE SELECTED ACCORDING TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA :
Minimum conditions to be fulfilled
- University diploma obtained in an institution / university in a field related to animal production, veterinary medicine or in a related field ;
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in fodder cultivation ;
- Current knowledge of French ( level C ) and average knowledge of English ( level B ).
Basic skills required by FAO
- Attention to results
- Have team spirit
- Meaning of communication
- Establishment of constructive relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
Technical / Functional Skills
- A good knowledge of the field of development of the milk sector.
- Knowledge in results-based management.
- Mastery of strategic development tools
- Suitable for working in a multidisciplinary team ;
- Good organizational, analysis, synthesis and writing capacity and mastery of the Microsoft office automation / IT suite ;
Please note that all candidates must adhere to the values of FAO – commitment to the Organization, respect for everyone, integrity and transparency.
- FAO does not collect fees at any stage of recruitment ( application, interview, processing of the file ).
- Incomplete application files will not be examined. To get help, write to: [email protected].
- Applications received after the closing date of the call will not be accepted.
- Please note that FAO only takes into account university degrees and degrees issued by recognized institutions listed in the World Higher Education Database, the list updated by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. To access the list, please click here www.whed.net/
- Other offers can be found on the Employment web page at FAO: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/fr/
HOW TO POSTULATE To apply, please complete the online form on the FAO recruitment website, Jobs at FAO. Incomplete application files will not be examined. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to register their applications with a largely sufficient period of time before the deadline. To get help, write to: [email protected].
FAO IS A NON-FUMEUR AREA.