1. Duty Station of the Consultancy: Juba, South Sudan
2. Duration of Consultancy: 6 months
3. Nature of the consultancy: Consultant – Project Development and Reporting Officer (Transition and Recovery Unit)
4. Project Context and Scope:
IOM in South Sudan has a range of programming centred around three broad areas: humanitarian coordination and support; humanitarian response and resilience; and peacebuilding, transition and development. Humanitarian coordination and support includes leading/co-leading the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI) Clusters, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and management of WASH and Shelter and NFI core-pipelines, humanitarian hubs and common transport services. Humanitarian response and resilience includes CCCM, WASH, Shelter & NFI, health, protection, gender equality and inclusion, mental health and psychosocial support and the management of a Rapid Response Fund. Under peacebuilding, transition and development, IOM South Sudan implements programming on housing, land and property issues, transition and recovery, transhumance conflict prevention, community-based violence reduction, community development and migration management.
Under the overall direction of the IOM Chief of Mission in South Sudan, the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (Transition and Recovery), the Consultant – Project Development and Reporting Officer will provide support in the development of multiple project activities, review, proof-reading and quality control of project proposal documents prior to donor submission and compile, write and quality control project implementation reports in the Transition and Recovery programme portfolio.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing:
Under the Transition and Recovery unit which design, formulates and implements peacebuilding, transition and recovery programmes, the candidate will work towards their objectives under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (Transition and Recovery)
5. Tasks to be performed under this contract
- Draft project concept notes and project proposals that are based on solid context analysis, gaps and needs assessments, lessons learned, and funding availability.
- Ensure collaboration with internal IOM Units, international and national stakeholders in project design.
- Ensure smooth handover of projects that are successfully funded to implementing staff and organizations.
- Close collaboration with conflict analysts, ensuring project design is conflict sensitive.
- Prepare, develop and disseminate timely analytical reports including donor progress reports, evaluation reports, publications, and a variety of information products or proposals for internal and external use.
- Keep track of reporting requirements across multiple projects, ensuring timelines are met.
- Support the capacity building of colleagues in reviewing and drafting reports.
- Conduct regular field visits to project locations to monitor progress, capture transformative change achieved through the projects and initiate development of knowledge products.
- Contribute to the overall transition and recovery strategies and approaches of IOM South Sudan including the identification of new programme needs.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
6. Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
A workplan will be developed and monthly performance discussion will be held with the supervisor.
7. Education, Experience and/or skills required
- Master’s university degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in development studies, anthropology, conflict and peace studies, political science, or business administration; or University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Two to Three years of experience in a proposal or research writing or related role, preferably in the humanitarian, peacebuilding or development sector.
- Demonstrated experience developing proposals and/or grants or other related role
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the essential ability to write persuasively and clearly
- Strong project management skills and proven ability to manage diverse projects and shifting priorities within tight timelines
- Demonstrated exposure to and experience with process improvement and information coordination
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and verbal communication skills. Ability to forge strong, collaborative relationships across disparate groups of stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented, organizational skills, demonstrated tendency to problem-solve and take initiative
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and willingness to learn new computer systems is essential.
- Previous experience writing reports is essential, specifically monitoring and/or evaluation reports is desirable.
- Previous experience working in an international office setting is advantageous.
- Previous experience working in reconciliation, stabilization and/or resilience programming is desirable.
8. Travel required
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are required to submit their motivation letter and Curriculum Vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org by 05 August 2022 indicating in the subject of the e‐mail “Consultant – Project Development and Reporting Officer (Transition and Recovery Unit)”