Background Information – Job-specific
The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is seeking a Configuration Specialist to join their shared Digital Services (DS) team within the Information Management Branch (IMB). OCHA maintains multiple web-based platforms that are used in humanitarian response. The main objective of this consultancy is to leverage Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) offerings to ‘configure’ solutions for a variety of clients. The role will require conversations with business owners, collaboration with a range of OCHA personnel (including developers), and a strong understanding of available SaaS offerings (both UN standards and not). The work can have a wide range of applications. For example it could range from assisting to configure a website, to automating data flow into an interactive dashboard, to setting up an extranet collaboration space, to setting up a roster management solution, to automating the flow of feedback within a private group. We are looking for someone who is passionate about using their skills to help humanitarian response around the world.
The incumbent will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Analyze business requirements, identify suitable SaaS solutions, and configure and/or connect them to provide a solution;
- Learn the selected SaaS offerings in order to be able to support the configuration of solutions and support the teaching of others inside the organization;
- Maintain a catalog of SaaS tools available for use inside UNOCHA. Support in the process of gaining UN Technical Clearance and/or UN Standard status where necessary;
- Configure appropriate solutions, based on user requirements, using available SaaS tools;
- Draft supporting documentation, to complement existing SaaS materials, for solution owners;
- Provide support to solutions where appropriate and necessary;
- Assist in the administrative aspect of procuring SaaS solutions in OCHA;
- Collaborate with the relevant IT groups in OCHA and the Office for Information & Communication Technology (OICT).
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) and two (2) years of relevant experience OR
- A First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) and four (4) years of relevant experience OR
- Secondary education diploma and some technical training/background (or equivalent) and eight (8) years of relevant experience is required.
Required Work Experience
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in the humanitarian sector, in the technology sector, in using SaaS technology to solve problems in any industry, and/or in automating processes with technology.
Desired Work Experience (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
- Experience analyzing and/or interpreting clients’ needs;
- Experience in technical development;
- Experience in SaaS configuration in tools such as Office 365, Salesforce, Zapier, Trello, JIRA, etc.;
- Experience working through the design process, from concept to completion, on both new and existing projects;
- Experience working on distributed teams; Strong communication and negotiation skills;
- Intermediate in English (read, write, speak) is required. Knowledge of another UN language (Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese and French) is an asset.
Contract Type, Level and Duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement (IICA) Contract level: IICA-1/ICSC-9 Contract duration: 3 months – with possibility of extension subject to organizational requirements availability of funds and satisfactory performance This is not a position in UNOPS. UNOPS is solely providing operational support to its partner UNOCHA for this recruitment process. The selected candidate will be a personnel member of UNOCA under its full responsibility and salaries and benefits will be decided by UNOCHA.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.