The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
Based in Geneva, Switzerland, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices in the region, providing management and financial/programmatic oversight of Global and Country specific Portfolios, Clusters and Operations Centers including hosting services, fund management, management advisory services, implementing projects, procuring goods and services and managing human resources.
ECR operates its Global Portfolios from offices in Geneva and New York. The incumbent will provide administrative and operational support to UNOPS Geneva office.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Administrative Associate, reporting to the Head of Support Services, the incumbent performs and may supervise personnel in delivering, technical and administrative support services, covering specialized and non-specialized processes and transactions for discrete work areas in administration and logistics, ensuring efficient, client oriented and effective service delivery. The Administration Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach, ensuring utilization of office resources in a most cost-effective manner.
1. Administrative Support
- Handles office mail and pouch to provide efficient functionality of the office.
- Coordinates office meetings, retreats and workshops.
- Handles standard correspondence on Admin queries, under guidance from supervisor.
- Provides support functions for Procurement when required
- Creates and manages transactions in UNOPS ERP system in line with financial decisions of UNOPS – including payment processing.
- Assists with processes related to management of contracts and contract administration, including maintenance of suppliers’ tracking sheets
- Assists with the administration of travels for personnel under Administrative Budget: this will include assist with travel booking, visa requirements and payment of per diem.
- Provides support in establishment and maintenance of hard and on-line records for easy reference and retrieval. Closure/archiving of all files and final reports on systematic basis.
2. Management Support
- Coordinates individual work areas and coaches personnel in execution of standard office transactions, processes and client services for work areas, ensuring full compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies and knowledge of the work areas.
- Monitors suppliers’ performance against service agreements
- Implements the control mechanism for designated administrative services, including maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Drafts meetings’ minutes and follow up as needed.
3. Logistics, Asset Management Services
- Ensures effective management of office assets and maintains asset inventory up-to-date
- Oversee programmes asset inventories and provide advisory services
- Coordinates supply and assets management services and physical verification of inventory items ensuring timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports
- Oversees implementation of logistics system in accordance with UNOPS logistical procedures
- Co-ordinates and supervises processes and services in shipments and customs clearance, travel, events management, administrative surveys, transportation services and insurance, building/facilities/space management, office supplies.
- Oversees protocol matters, ensuring efficient delivery of client services, including registration of staff and host government authorizations.
- Manages liaison and coordination with local authorities on authorizations/privileges and immunities for UNOPS personnel, office space and other administrative matters.
- Compiles information on administrative services provided for cost-recovery bills.
- May supervise transportation services including client service, insurance, and monitoring of consumption.
- Ensures prompt reporting and investigation of accidents, damage, loss or theft of office items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Supervises external contractor for transportation services, including client service and processing of invoices.
4. Knowledge building and Knowledge Sharing
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on Administration related topics.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- Contribute to the efforts undertaken by the Geneva Office to mainstream gender equality.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- First University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration,] or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required.
- Minimum of six years of relevant experience in general administrative, logistics, or operations’ support services in national or international public or corporate organizations.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages (Google workspace) and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Experience in use of Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English
- Knowledge of a second UN or regional working language is an asset.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA) Contract level: ICS 6 / Local ICA 6 Contract duration: Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or to satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- Geneva , Switzerland is a UN Family Duty Station
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to apply
Please apply via https://jobs.unops.org/pages/viewvacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=24072