The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian, non-profit, non-governmental organisation. We provide assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide. What is NRC? NRC promotes and protects the rights of refugees and people who have been displaced within their own country.
- Location Borno
These strategic locations have allowed NRC greater reach from the north and south parts of the North-East and North Central region, and allowed NRC to contribute to bridging the gap between humanitarian aid and development cooperation, including through focusing on equitable access to basic services and strengthening the rights of displaced people and returnees. In addition to the Country Office, and the above mentioned Area Offices, NRC has sub-offices structures in Monguno, Biu, Mubi, Pulka and Gwoza.
NRC Centre for Monitoring and communication (CMC) is an integral unit of the Health, Safety, and Security (HSS) department based in Maiduguri, Borno State, and tasked with the responsibility for collecting, analyzing, and disseminating information, tracking staff and vehicles, emergency response and handling communication gadgets. The CMC room works 24/7 and is manned by the CMC staff both day and night working on shifts.
The HSS Communication Technical Assistant will have technical skills and experience in monitoring, tracking, and communicating using various mediums of communication such as (VHF radio, GPS tracker, and Satellite phones). He/she will be able to work with internet-based tracking platforms and GIS systems used by NRC. Additionally, the assistant will be able to make or undertake minor installations, maintenance, and repairs of communication equipment (e.g installation of antennae on the rooftop, installation of CCTV, Fire alarms) and related electronic installations. This will require using various tools, working above shoulder height, climbing atop the building using a ladder, and at times carrying/lifting heavy gadgets.
We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee.
If you are those people, the Norwegian Refugee Council in Nigeria is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate with good competency emergency incidence management to join our Center for Monitoring and Communication (CMC) Team in Maiduguri. You will be responsible for monitoring, tracking and dissemination of information of vital Health, Safety and Security (HSS) information within NRC Nigeria.
To be successful in this role you will be a confident communicator with excellent relationship building skills, capable of establishing strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels and good knowledge of the local context while supporting new initiatives and learning projects across the country.
If you are highly organised individually, comfortable with working in a remote environment and have previous relevant experience , we would love to hear from you!
What’s in it for you?
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and to Join a work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility:
At NRC we think creatively. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
Learn on the job: NRC’s collaborative working style favours the exchange of good practice and lessons learnt. At NRC, employees learn on the job and are encouraged to look for opportunities to develop new competencies. NRC managers prioritise the quality work and the competency development of their staff. This entails giving newcomers a good start, following up, training and mentoring employees to allow them to perform well in their current job, offering learning and development programmes.
Additional Information: Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria. Grade 4 in NRC’s grading structure – Reporting line: Communication Team Leader, Nigeria.
This position is open to National candidates only. We invite applications from all qualified and interested candidates. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
- Monitor and track all NRC staff travels and movements in Borno, Adamawa, Plateau State, including travels across mission filed office in the North East, and other parts of Nigeria.
- Ensure that all staff traveling to field locations are issued with a working and fully charged communication device.
- Track the issuance of all communication devices and ensure that they are safely kept in good working conditions.
- Coordinate with NRC Logistics to ensure that vehicles are assigned on a timely manner to facilitate airport pick-ups and drops off. This also includes coordinating vehicles dispatch assigned to expat staff in the evening and over the weekends.
- Receive all phones calls from NRC staff and professionally respond to their queries and disseminate accurate information as required.
- Draft security alert messages and share with Team Lead for review before disseminating to all staff.
- Draft and share Daily media scan with the Team Lead for further dissemination.
- Monitor open source channels (TV, radio, social media, etc) to collate and flag relevant information and update the CMC Team Leader.
Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to fluently communicate in English (spoken & written). Understanding and speaking of the local language in Borno are mandatory.
- Basic and advanced computer skills are mandatory (MS Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook).
- Technical skills and training in installations, and maintenance of security equipment such as radios, CCTVs, alarms, and other installations are mandatory. Previous working skills in communication equipment (VHF Radio, Satellite Phones, GPS tracker) are added advantage.
- A HND and/or Diploma in the field of Electrical or Computer Engineering, Mass Communication, or telecommunications is required. Bacahlors Degree Qualifications in Social Studies, Administration, Security Management, Humanitarian/Refugee Affairs, and Disaster Risk Management, with technical capability, will be considered.
- 1 to 2 years of working experience within a similar function or as a radio/operations rooms operator in with INGOs, the UN, or government or private sector.
- Basic web based mapping knowledge or GIS is desired.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) on ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com to apply