Job no: 553015 Contract type: Temporary Appointment Duty Station: Cox’s Bazaar Level: P-4 Location: Bangladesh Categories: Communication
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an advocate.
How can you make a difference?
Under the overall supervision of the Principal Inter-Agency Coordinator (ISCG) while liaising and working closely with the Chief of Field Office (UNICEF), the successful candidate will support the ISCG Secretariat in the overall coordination of communications, media and public information of the humanitarian response in Cox Bazar.
The Communication Manager will thus manage the External Relations function of the ISCG through the overall coordination of communications, media and public information across the response.
Major duties and responsibilities:
1. Coordinate media relations: Lead communications related to the Rohingya refugee response including the development of proactive messaging and common public information positions around key advocacy issues.
2. Elaborate and implement common communications strategy: Ensure that the a clear inter agency communication strategy and an associated work plan is in place to increase the visibility of the Rohingya refugee response.
3. Coordinate development and dissemination of common messages and advocacy tools: Ensure that the Secretariat has an effective process in place for developing key common messages, integrating and taking action on arising reputational risks, and disseminating these messages in a locally appropriate way, as well as providing/enabling coverage of the response for local & global use.
4. Networking and partnerships: Ensure that the Secretariat has a well maintained and continually developed contact list of individuals, groups, organizations and fora (including Donors, Government, UN, and bilateral counterparts), whose support is essential to/can assist in achieving the advocacy and communication objectives of the communication strategy.
5. High level missions: Manage all high level/ donor missions related to the Rohingya refugee response in Cox’s Bazar in coordination with the broader humanitarian community.
6. Capacity building and support: Ensure that the Principal Inter-Agency Coordinator (ISCG), Sectors and Heads of Agencies are provided with professional expertise and advice on all aspects of external relations communication as required; opportunities are identified and addressed for building communication capacity among the communication team, media and other relevant partners.
7. Management: Ensure that human resources (the External Relations team) and financial resources (budget planning, management and monitoring) are both effectively managed and optimally used.
For detailed job responsibilities, please see attached TOR: TOR – Comm Manager, P-4, TA Cox’s Bazar.docx
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations.
- (*A first University Degree combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree in the field of journalism, communications, external relations, public affairs, public relations or corporate communications.)
- Eight years of progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience in communication, print, broadcast, and/or new media.
- International and national work experience, familiarity with Emergency situations, experience in Rohingya Crisis are added advantages.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
*UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
*Internal candidates may be given preference over external candidates. The term “Internal” refers to all staff members with fixed term, continuing or permanent appointments.
*Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
*Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
* As this is a re-advertisement, candidates who applied before will not need to re-apply
*The complete vacancy announcements can be reviewed via UNICEF Careers website at https://jobs.unicef.org/en-us/listing/
Advertised: 17 Jul 2022 Bangladesh Standard Time Deadline: 31 Jul 2022 Bangladesh Standard Time
How to apply
Please visit UNICEF Career portal for applying to the position. Link to the posting is given below: