The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014 and Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015. The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Client Responsiveness and Accountability (CRA) Assistant
Requisition ID: req29093
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Sector: Monitoring & Evaluation
Job Overview / Summary
- The IRC is guided by three core principles/standards (the IRC Way); Service, Integrity, and Accountability. Also, the organization is guided by the principles of the Core Humanitarian standards (CHS) as well as the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP).
- To uphold and ensure commitment to these principles in all its projects, IRC Nigeria operates a Community Accountability Feedback Mechanism. One of the mechanisms is to collect community’s feedback through toll free telephone system. Thus, the IRC would like to hire an experienced person for this job.
- The purpose of the Client Responsiveness Assistant, in general, is to receive feedback and complaints coming from the communities where IRC is working regarding the services the organization is rendering through the various Accountability Feedback Mechanisms.
- The position holder who will be directly supervised by the MEAL Manager will closely work with the program teams, especially in liaising between the community and the organization in terms of information flow from one to the other and vise-versa.
- S/he will collect feedback coming from the community through the toll-free system as well as other feedback mechanisms and pass on to the respective sector team following the organization’s feedback mechanism information flow system or depending on the category level of the feedback, respond to the person who reported the complaint.
- Answer tool free calls, record the complaints/feedback applying the template/s prepared for the purpose.
- Ensure confidentiality of all information received is upheld and respected.
- Regularly update herself/himself with IRC projects to understand thematic and geographic areas of operation.
- Understand well and brief program staffs and clients on IRC Nigeria Community Accountability Mechanisms.
- Regularly update herself/himself with the new policies and procedures of IRC particularly in relation to accountability.
- Understanding of Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP), Core Humanitarian Standards and other relevant global standards.
- Respond to information requests or answer questions from clients, if it is within her/his mandate specified in the IRC Nigeria Community Accountability Mechanism document.
- Conduct field visits to LGAs where IRC is intervening in order retrieve feedback, conduct FGDs and engage community stakeholders on any feedback or suggestions regarding the services the IRC is rendering within the location.
- Make preliminary analysis of feedback received for the month and share the summary to the respective sector concerned staff.
- Participate in lesson sharing meetings/bazars/workshops.
- Systematically and securely document and share CR reports regularly.
- Ensure the monthly toll-free subscription is paid on time so that the system is always up and running.
- Maintain the telephone apparatuses and make sure the batteries are always charged full.
- Report any technical problems encountered with the service providers and/or telephone apparatuses to her/his supervisor on time and follow up its maintenance.
- Design a strategy to regularly check whether all the target communities have access to the hotline service and other feedback mechanisms.
- Supervise installation of suggestion boxes and ensure routine retrieval of feedback from suggestion boxes across IRC program locations
- Devising and implementing ways of effectively communicating the Accountability Mechanisms to all project stakeholders
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: MEAL Manager
- Indirect Reporting: MEAL officers
- Education: A minimum of Diploma in Communication or any sector or sub-sector related field
- Work Experience: At least one year experience working in handling complaint response mechanism is preferred
- Excellent communication skills and experience in report writing.
- Experience in similar areas, developmental work and communication is an advantage.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information and individuals
- Excellent computer skills especially in the use of MS Word and Excel.
- Well conversant with e-mail communication, especially Microsoft Outlook.
- Good verbal communication skills in local languages (Hausa, Fulfulde and Kanuri) and working knowledge of English is a must.
- Passionate to humanitarian work.
- Must be ready to travel to different local government areas where the IRC is implementing activities.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required.
- Experience in report writing, data collection and analysis.
- Good verbal communication skills in local languages and working knowledge of English Hausa, Fulfulde and Kanuri.
- He/she must demonstrate good presentation skills
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Language Skills: MUST be able to communicate and write in English, Hausa, Fulfulde, and Kanuri.
- Describe the work environment of the office (“Standard office work environment” will be applicable for most jobs in the U.S.) and if applicable, the housing. For example, internet connections, electricity, amenities, group housing, etc. Include travel requirements.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online