- CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
- CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
- Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
- Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of position:
- The nexus of security humanitarian development issues around lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced & more than 10 million people in the region affected & in need. While robust national & multinational military operations have retaken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, our client recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains & establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security & from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes. In this context, our client is strengthening its presence in the North East (NE) region by establishing a Sub Office (SO) in Maiduguri. The SO will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility (RSF), a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation & Reintegration (DDRR) & Recovery & Resilience program.
- The SO for the NE region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 & our client has established an operations service centre to support management & operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results in anticipation of launch of new programs, including early recovery projects which aims to support recovery of the conflict affected communities in the region in terms of recovery of livelihood of the community members, access to basic services, local governance & social cohesion.
- Provision of basic services through construction / rehabilitation of community infrastructure is one of the program focuses of the integrated recovery project, such as school & health facilities, water wells / systems, housing units, shops / markets, among others. It is considered vital that the NE SS has a highly qualified technical team for implementing engineering work with sound quality & international standard, ensuring successful implementation of construction or rehabilitation of community infrastructures in Borno, Adamawa, & Yobe (BAY) states in NE Nigeria. To this end, our client is seeking to fill 2 positions of Civil Engineers 1 for the early recovery projects & the other 1 is for the RSF projects in NE.
Role objectives: The RSF Civil Engineer will be under the guidance & direct supervision of the Recovery & Resilience Unit Leader & technical guidance of the Senior Civil Engineer & in close collaboration with the project teams in NE SO. The Civil Engineer will perform the following functions:
- Provide technical infrastructure needs assessment in the JAP locations & targeted areas.This includes prepare design & drawings, presentations, cost estimates & provide assessment report.
- Prepare & manage the preparation of the technical documents of the planned projects including Scope of Work (SoW), drawings, specifications & work closely with the Quantity Surveyors to prepare the Bill of Quantities (BOQ’s) & cost estimates.
- Provide technical support for smooth procurement & project implementation process of basic infrastructure projects, including support to ensure quality & technical soundness of the BOQ & specifications of infrastructure projects.
- Manage the civil works contracts & supervise the contract implementation to ensure quality of civil works & technical supervision at the project sites.
The Civil Engineer shall be responsible for the following detailed tasks & activities towards achieving key functions: Provide technical infrastructure needs assessment in the designated client related civil works locations & targeted areas. This includes prepare drawings, presentations, cost estimates & provide assessment report:
- Conduct the site visits to assess infrastructure facility needs & design the facility with a build back better approaches.
- Support the assessment of the project activities of the targeted sites in BAY states.
- Provide technical inputs to strengthen alignment & complementarity of our clients support with govt. policies & plans.
- Provide cost estimate of the civil works intervention for budget planning.
Prepare & manage the preparation of the technical documents of the planned projects including SoW, drawings, specifications & work closely with the Quantity Surveyors to prepare the BOQ’s & cost estimates:
- Prepare high quality SoW including the description of the project ,location, requirements, timelines & duration, milestone payments, health & safety requirements, staff requirements & qualifications, expecience of the contractors etc.
- Prepare high quality engineering design & drawings for the proposed infrastructures.
- Prepare the specification of all elements of the project.
- Certify designs of the facilities that are submitted by the respective authorities for civil works in BAY states.
- Work with the Quantity Surveyor to prepare the BOQ’s.
- Certify the BOQ’s prepared & submitted by the respective authorities & departments of national counterparts.
- Verify the BOQs before initiating the procurement process.
Provide technical & civil engineering support for smooth procurement & project implementation process of basic infrastructure projects, including support to ensure the quality & technical soundness of the BOQ & specifications of infrastructure project:
- Submit all technical docuemets to procurement unit for processing.
- Work closely with the procurement unit & support in advertising the civil works procurement cases.
- Support technical evaluation process & provide advice on any procurement related issues.
- Support pre bids meetings & bidder clarifications.
- Support the project teams in NE SO in verifying the Variation Orders (VO) (if required).
- Verify the progress of civil work payment requests submitted by the contractors before proceeding with disbursements of payments.
- Assist our cliet as the expert witness in litigation arising from the development or construction of the project & in bearings before various approving & regulatory agencies.
Manage the civil works contracts & supervise the contract implementation to ensure quality of civil works & technical supervision at the project site:
- Analyse & share information with the team & the local technical teams on basic infrastructure activities.
- Support the implementation of construction / rehabilitation of infrastructure facilities, where required & advise on project contracting requirements.
- Monitor day to day progress of infrastructure project activities & promptly report any abnormality or risks to the respective client Project Managers (PM’s) & project teams.
- Develop & design interventions based on the accurate information & risk analysis on the ground & utilizing lessons learned from the activities in consultation & coordination with respective PM’s.
- Follow up & oversee the rehabilitation of civil, electrical & mechanical works at site preparation & execution of the works against the provided approved sketch & BOQ’s within the set time frame.
- Conduct construction inspection including inspection of materials, equipment’s to be installed.
- Check materials received at construction / renovation sites against damages, missing parts & appropriate ratings, ensuring that the materials / equipment provided by the contractor meets our clients requirement & standards.
- Ensure that materials / equipment provided by the contractor meets accepted requirement & standards.
- Discuss site issues with the contractor and promptly report back to our client if a problem arises that requires our clients input.
- Checks and certifies substantial construction progress / completion & the corresponding payments.
- Advice our client to withhold payments for any work which has been rejected or any work which is not in compliance with the contract documents.
- Ensure that the contractor maintain safety on the site & clean the site after the completion of the rehabilitation work.
- Check a& verify the milestone payments as per the progress of the work.
- Prepare variation orders if required.
- Ensuring proper close out of projects (site cleaning, payment of wages etc) by contractors before demobilzation.
- Carry out other tasks assigned by our clients Senior Civil Engineer when required.
- This role will work under the guidance & direct supervision of the Recovery & Resilience Unit Leader & technical guidance of the Senior Civil Engineer & in close collaboration with the project teams in NE SO.
- Bacherlor’s Degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering.
- Registration with the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN).
- Minimum 7 years of extensive coordination & development experience including renovation & construction works.
- Construction supervision experience of buildings, utility services, schools, etc.
- Experience in supervising rehabilitation works & managing projects.
- Experience in handling of tender documents for turnkey contracts, including technical inputs / specifications for the procurement of services using the conditions of international lending / funding agencies.
- Proven ability to work with multi disciplinary teams & liaison with authorities.
- Experience working in challenging security environments.
- Functionally related professional management skills.
- Technical related skills.
- Ability to plan & prioritize work activities to meet organizational goals & organize & oversee work processes efficiently to achieve quality results.
- Knowledge of strategic planning processes, programming.
- Excellent communication & reporting skills.
- Fluent in spoken & written English is a requirement.
- The ability to communicate effectively in Kanuri, Hausa, or other local language spoken in the NE region is an asset.
- Experience from previous UN assignments & / or multilateral organizations & bilateral aid organizations would be an asset.
- Ability to think conceptually & flexibly, capacity to adapt, innovate & propose multiple options.
- A team player with good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to practice courtesy & diplomacy with high rank officials.
- Time management skills.
- Enjoy sensitivity for research & academic integrity.
- Ability to work well under pressure & stressful environment.
- Promoting ethics & integrity, creating organizational precedents.
- Building support & political acumen.
- Creating & promoting enabling environment for open communication.
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of our client & setting standards.
- Sharing knowledge across the organization & building a culture of knowledge sharing & learning.
- Fair & transparent decision making, calculated risk taking.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- Payment for this assignment is to be made on successful completion of deliverables only.
How to apply