Position Title: International consultant CC/2023-12
Duty Station: Yerevan, Armenia (Home based)
Type of Appointment :Consultant
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date :October 31, 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Nature of the consultancy:
Support the generation of evidence on migration patterns/ returns to due to the socio-economic impacts of the COVID-19 period in Kotayk and Vayots Dzor marzes provinces in Armenia for testing the proof of principle of climate change decision support tool.
IOM Armenia is implementing a project on ‘A Data-Driven Decision Support Tool to Address the Environmental Implications of Migrants Returns to Sending Communities Due to the Socio-economic Impacts of Covid-19’. The project aims to ensure that Government decision-makers in Armenia, at the central and local levels, will utilize new systems and data in an integrated and evidence-based approach to improve climate change adaptation at the national and community levels. One of the outputs of the project is availability of a proof-of-principle of a climate change adaptation decision-support tool.
To test the ‘proof of principle’ of the Climate Change Decision Support Tool the project aims to collect primary data on migration returns due to the socio-economic impacts of the COVID-19 period in Kotayk and Vayots Dzor marzes in Armenia. This consultancy will support the proposed data collection in Armenia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Create the work plan in coordination with the IOM project manager.
- Develop the research design (including methodology and sample implementation note); research tools (e.g., the survey questionnaire, guidelines for key informant interviews and focus group discussions, etc.); data analysis plan, and report structure in coordination with the IOM project team. The research design should be aligned with IOM’s RO Vienna’s Research Manual.
- Develop the research tools (e.g., house list, survey questionnaire, household register, etc.) (in English) in coordination with the IOM project team and the national implementing partner in Armenia.
- Present the process (including possible follow-up) and methodology at regular meetings. Integrate feedback received during consultations into the research design as applicable. The feedback will be incorporated into the research design.
- Organize a 1-day online meeting with the national implementing partner from Armenia to plan the enumerators’ training.
- Facilitate a 2-day workshop in Yerevan to train the enumerators from the national implementing partner in Armenia, including on IOM Data Protection Principles.
- Provide inputs and support the work of the national implementing partner in Armenia who is responsible for data collection, to ensure the quality and timeliness of the research. This includes, among other tasks, ensuring they follow IOM Data Protection Principles, the monitoring of work undertaken by the national implementing partner to ensure that targets and deadlines are met. The international partner is also responsible for recommending corrective action where progress is not meeting expectations as well as responding to any questions or issues the national research partner may have regarding the case study.
- Analyze the data and prepare the report in coordination with the IOM project team, following IOM House Style Manual.
- Consult with the IOM project team on appropriate and agreed approaches to the specified tasks before their completion.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
- Be an individual consultant with an advanced postgraduate degree (i.e., PhD, MA, MSc) in Economics, Sociology, Geography, Statistics, Demography, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Public Affairs, and/or other disciplines relevant to the assignment.
- Demonstrated expertise in the team on quantitative research, especially in designing surveys and methodologies.
- Demonstrated expertise in analysing data from large surveys.
- Demonstrated expertise in the team on qualitative research will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in publishing in peer-reviewed journals or being commissioned by government entities, UN agencies, or development partners to develop reports on relevant topics. At least three relevant publications are to be listed in the application and soft copies are to be submitted with the proposal.
- Demonstrated expertise on migration, environment, and climate change nexus will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work in English and Russian, with excellent oral and written communication skills will be an advantage.
Proposed methodology, approach and implementation plan
- Understanding of the requirement: The important aspects of the task have been addressed in sufficient detail. The different components of the project are adequately weighted relative to one another.
- The submission addresses the ethical considerations for this work and how these will be practically addressed within the methodology.
- Workplan is clear and realistic.
Fluency in English is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV, Cover Letter and At least three relevant publications soft copies) to HRIOMArmenia@iom.int with subject line “International Consultant CC-2023-12” by October 31, 2023 at the latest.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 18.10.2023 to 31.10.2023