Category Analyst -TECH
Job #: req23209
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Contracting & Purchasing
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 7/14/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank consists of two entities – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). It is a global development cooperative owned by 189 member countries. As the largest development bank in the world, the World Bank provides loans, guarantees, risk management products, and advisory services to middle-income and creditworthy low-income countries, and coordinates responses to regional and global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
The Corporate Procurement Unit is responsible for the procurement of goods, works and services (including consulting services) to support the WBG’s 130+ offices around the world. Corporate Procurement manages an annual spend around USD 2B with around 25,000 vendors. The team has staff located in Washington, DC, Chennai, India and Sofia, Bulgaria. Corporate Procurement utilizes category management to achieve better outcomes, improved quality, greater savings, efficient use of resources, a better understanding of the market, and an increased focus on collaboration and innovation. Corporate Procurement focuses on three key principles: Commerciality, Risk Management, and Sustainability. Categories of spend include: i) Human Resources and Professional Services; ii) Corporate Services and Real Estate; and iii) Technology. To learn more about Corporate Procurement, visit: CP website.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Procurement Analyst (Category Analyst) position is located at the Corporate Procurement Technology team in Washington D.C. USA. This position reports to the Senior Procurement Specialist (Head of Category), who in turn reports to the Chief of Corporate Procurement. The Procurement Analyst will be assigned to sub-category teams based on the projects.
Responsibilities include being a valued business partner to clients, understanding business needs, developing annual procurement plans, conducting internal (e.g., data-driven; category spend, client strategies, stakeholder analysis, and SWOT), and external analysis (e.g., market research & forecast, market share & trends, benchmarks, cost drivers), advising clients on market trends, and influencing change with the intent to maximize value for money while managing risks and maximizing impact on sustainability.
The position for the category team requires in-depth knowledge of the software category including types of information technology solution, associated supplier market, methods of procurement, understand software license negotiations and skills to lead sourcing initiatives from business needs to contract closeout including conducting negotiations, and dispute resolution; collaborate with business partners; and advise colleagues in WBG office worldwide on policy related matters.
The category includes, but is not limited to, IT Infrastructure (Data Center & colocation service, Mid-High-end servers and software, Data Back-up services), Business, Application, and IT Software and Services, FinTech, familiarity with cloud-based software services (XaaS), and other related IT solutions and disruptive technologies.
Key accountability for this position includes:
- Conducts procurement, sourcing, and category management activities required by the World Bank Group globally.
- Understands client’s needs, generates solicitations, and manages bidding process for assigned areas; collaborates with clients in developing procurement plans; carries out market research to identify sources of supply; reviews technical specifications for completeness and competitive qualities; develops vendor pre-qualifying and evaluation criteria; prepares contracts; and engages vendors in process discussions.
- Negotiates contract terms and conditions for the assigned categories.
- Category management of designated categories.
- Monitors vendor commercial performance.
- Conducts research, trend analysis and benchmarking in international markets including category management.
- Leads/guides remotely located teams in performing medium to complex procurements.
- Liaises with clients in preparation and delivery of presentations to Procurement Committees.
- Undertakes activities to ensure compliance with World Bank Groups’ policy.
- Provides guidance and direction to Project Managers on commercial contract management issues.
- Designs innovative solutions for medium to complex solicitations for large dollar and through a service risk-based approach.
- Possesses an expert level understanding of commerciality and ability to demonstrate achieving value for money through strategic planning, solicitation, and negotiations.
- Maximizes positive impact on sustainability (diversity, environment, social responsibility) through the sourcing process and category management.
- Possesses a good understanding of risk management, analyses risks, and works with business partners to mitigate risks through sourcing and managing risks during category management.
Due to the requirements of the job, this position may require frequent adjustments to the work schedule created by the time zone difference with many of the clients it supports and may also involve a limited amount of travel.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Sciences, Commercial, Public Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience in. Recognized professional certifications (e.g., CPSM, CIPS, PMI) or courses in addition to the education would be highly desirable.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience in the field of Procurement, Business Development, Portfolio Management, and Commercial experience as well as, contract management, dispute resolution, and managing interpersonal relationships and communication with key stakeholders and suppliers dealing with external and internal agencies. Preference will be given to those with experience in category management and IT sourcing, IT project management.
- Knowledge of international procurement practices and understanding of public & private sector procurement procedures and processes is desirable.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and analytical capabilities and logical problem-solving skills, and ability to structure data and assign resources effectively, monitor implementation and deliver results in line with project goals.
- Self-initiated with ability to translate theory into practical application by engaging with external and internal experts and driving towards developing consensus within the organization.
- Ability to proactively manage the work program and portfolio, contribute to team responsibilities and manage client expectations.
- Proven Project Management skills with extensive experience in managing multiple related projects to ensure the overall program is aligned and directly supports the achievement of strategic objectives.
- Excellent leadership skills coupled with strong communication and interpersonal capabilities.
- Ability to give knowledge-based guidance to more junior staff and to participate in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to deal sensitively in a multicultural environment and build effective working relationships with clients, colleagues, and other stakeholders.
- Experience with MS Office applications, especially Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and data analytical skills (PowerBI, Databricks etc.) will be desirable.
- Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix management environment, as well as an individual contributor.
- Can work in a consensus driven organization and good influential skills to manage disagreements.
- Demonstrates in depth knowledge and understanding of project management concepts, as they relate to the implementation of complex, multi-functional projects in varied geographical and economic conditions.
- Ability to lead complex and strategically important negotiations.
- Superior communication skills in English (verbal, written, and comprehension), and ability to resolve interpersonal conflict.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Other language skills would be an asset.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.