Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Cash Based Transfer Assistant
Location: Mafa, Borno
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours: 35
Contract Length: 7 Months
Reports to: Programme officer – CBT
Competency Level: 1
Salary Band: G
- The overall aim of the position is to assist the Programme Officer – Food Security to coordinate and manage a timely and effective food security assistance project in line with proposals, strategies, and WFP requirements.
Under the direct supervision of the programme officer and in collaboration with other team members of the project and of the base, the programme assistant – food security will:
- Assist in all the beneficiary identification, registration, verification and distribution of food commodities on a monthly basis.
- Assist the CBT officer on CBT related activities such as CBT redemption monitoring on a monthly basis.
- Supervise and manage the engagement of casual labourers.
- Conduct training and sensitisation activities related to food distributions.
- Assist in Planning, supervising and monitoring training, awareness and sensitisation activities, including maintenance and verification of all supporting documentation and activities (e.g. pre- and post-tests).
- Assist in maintaining records of all activities, in order to complete timely reports for CAID and for external actors, including donors.
- Promote the rights of displaced people and affected populations, explore and assess new and better ways to provide timely, effective and appropriate assistance.
- Assist in gap analysis, needs assessment, conducting registration, receiving commodities and distributing to beneficiaries in locations adversely affected by the conflict.
- Other responsibilities as required of the position.
Expected travel per annum:
- Up to 30 days
On call/unsocial hours:
- Yes, in event of Christian Aid response to humanitarian emergency.
Surge capacity for emergency responses:
- Yes – could be required to to travel for more than 75 days p.a. and for a period of up to 3 months but for no more than 6 months p.a. with no less than one month’s interval between postings unless in extreme circumstances.
- In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm.
- To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement.
- Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
- To support the implementation of WFP Food security project by supporting the programme officer in undertaking programme activities (community mobilization, verification, registration, distribution, monitoring and evaluation).
- The role also includes assisting the programme officer in planning and coordination of distribution activities, food distribution planning and reporting.
- There is the need to have staff who is dedicated in practical application of targeting, registration, verification, and distribution according to WFP standard.
- External: Build strong relationships with partners, networks, donors, stakeholders and community beneficiaries.
- Internal: Build strong relationship with program departments, FSL/WASH Staff, MEAL officers, program managers, M&E units and all in-country and global staff.
- Degree in Agriculture / Nutrition and/or Health.
- At least 2 years work experience in a similar role and in a similar context
- Proven experience in registration, verification and distribution in emergency relief operations is a strong advantage.
- Strong understanding of protection principles and likely protection concerns arising in the Nigerian context as well as conflict sensitivity
- Computer skills (primarily MS Office applications), especially Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of the context in rural Nigeria.
- Experience in complex emergencies and the ability to live and work in a very remote environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. Fluency in Hausa. Competency in Kanuri and/or other local languages appropriate to the target population is an added advantage.
- Familiarity with FSL context in North – Eastern Nigeria.
- Ability to communicate fluently in beneficiaries’ local language (Kanuri / Shuwa / Hausa) and English language.
- A female candidate is preferred for the role.
Digital / IT Competencies Required:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint – Intermediate
- Web content design & development – N/A
- Internet based collaboration tools and video calling – Intermediate
- Social Media – Intermediate
- Data Visualisation – Intermediate.
Application Closing Date
7th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This role requires applicants to have the right to work in the country where this position is based.
- We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, religion or belief.
- Christian Aid is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment for every person connected to the work we do; and to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour including sexual harassment and exploitation, abuse, and financial misconduct.
- Any candidate offered a job with Christian Aid is expected to share and demonstrate our values and adhere to Christian Aid’s Safeguarding policy and sign Christian Aid’s Code of Conduct.
- You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.