WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP established a Multi-Country Office in Barbados to provide technical assistance and capacity strengthening programming across 22 countries and territories in the English and Dutch-speaking Caribbean. Across the Caribbean, WFP is applying its global expertise to a programme of cross-functional activities designed to improve regional and national preparedness and strengthen systems to deliver rapid and appropriate assistance to people impacted by shocks and disasters. The regional programme of work includes technical assistance on social protection (e.g. data analysis/collection, digitalisation, payments), vulnerability and risk analysis, integrated supply chain management, food security/food systems and disaster risk financing.
The office also responds to emergencies in support of governments and CDEMA as needed, including previous responses in the Bahamas (2019) and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (2021), which both included cash-based transfer responses.
To provide efficient administrative support to the operation in Guyana.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Gather information with clear direction to support the drafting of documents and preparing reports by other staff.
- Respond to queries and escalate where appropriate, in order to provide a timely and accurate service to clients.
- Support processing and managing routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources.
- Provide revision and proof-reading services for standard documents, to contribute to the development of accurate documentation.
- Take responsibility for the maintenance of set standard systems and files, to ensure information is accurate and readily available for the function.
- Identify simple discrepancies in statistics and data, such as missing information, and report to senior staff in order to support clients to deliver their work.
- Take responsibility for data integrity to facilitate availability of accurate information in corporate systems.
- Provide guidance on routine business support methods and practices to junior colleagues to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
- Work with a variety of individuals, taking on feedback where appropriate to assist in business support delivery for staff.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education.
Experience: Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR THE ROLE
In possession of a valid driving license for light vehicles in accordance with local laws and experience driving safely and responsibly complying with the applicable driving laws.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Who Can Apply?
This position is open to nationals of Guyana and CARICOM member states and associate members. CARICOM Nationals applying for National positions outside of their home country bear sole responsibility for required actions or expenses related to relocation, accommodation, repatriation, and any other living expenses, etc. A CARICOM Skilled National Certificate is a pre-requisite for employment for successful candidates who are not from the country for which the position is advertised.
Type of position: Short Term -Full Time
Type of Contact: Service Contract Level 4 (SC-4)
Duration on Contract: 12 months with the possibility of extension, based on organizational requirements.
Duty Station: Guyana
Remuneration: The salary for this role starts at GYD 129,073.33.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application should be submitted by October 6, 2022, 23:59 Eastern Daylight Time.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered and only short-listed qualified candidates will receive an acknowledgement.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to apply
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings.
In the application form, ensure to fill out the mandatory sections, attach your CV, answer the pre-screening questions, and agreeing to the legal statement before submitting your application. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.