The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advisor on Hydrogen Ramp-up Program (H2-Uppp)
Vacancy No.: 070
Organization: GIZ, Implementation of the International Hydrogen Ramp-up Program (H2-Uppp)
GIZ. Solutions that work.
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. Since 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently, 464 national and regional employees, 66 international employees, 6 integrated experts, and 3 development advisors are working in the country (June 2022).
- On behalf of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK), the project “Implementation of the International Hydrogen Ramp-up Program” (H2-Uppp) promotes green hydrogen (H2) and power-to-X (PtX) projects, especially in developing and emerging countries, by means of partnerships with industry.
- The aim of the project is therefore to further develop markets for green H2/PtX technologies, particularly in developing and emerging countries, through partnerships with the private sector and publicprivate pilot projects.
- One element of H2-Uppp is formed by PPP projects with the private sector, in which GIZ acts as a public partner and which are selected through regular idea competitions. Through H2-Uppp, which is modelled on the develoPPP programme, GIZ provides technical support for the PPP projects and can assume a share of the implementation costs if the partner companies make appropriate contributions of their own.
- For a successful energy transition in the long term and to achieve the Paris climate targets, there needs to be a complete shift away from fossil fuels in all sectors. In addition to the massive expansion of renewable energies (RE), sector coupling and increasing energy efficiency, green hydrogen (H2) produced from RE represents an important building block for this.
- Especially for the decarbonisation of industries that are difficult to electrify, such as the steel, chemical or aviation industries, green H2 and power-to-X technologies (PtX) can play a key role.
- The H2-Uppp approach is based on the idea that the use of public funds for project development has a great leverage effect, attracts private investments, and thus favours local market development.
- For the implementation in Nigeria, a H2-Uppp Office will be set up in Abuja, which will implement the identification of pilot projects, technical support for H2 pilot projects via PPP approaches with German/European companies & business case analyses, networking and outreach. In collaboration with selected partners, the aim is to bring green H2/PtX projects into life.
- A H2-Uppp team in Germany supports exchange of stakeholders and experiences across sectors and macro-regions and facilitates the dialogue with German and European associations.
- The main role of the Advisor at the Hydrogen Diplomacy Office in Abuja will be to support in the implementation of the country component “Nigeria” of the global project.
- The Advisor will contribute to the technical support for green H2/PtX pilot projects in Nigeria via PPP approaches in partnership with the private sector for the joint implementation of green H2/PtX projects with German/European companies.
- The Advisor will support to identify economic production and use paths, project opportunities along the value chain and to develop business models as well as to improve the regulatory framework for green H2 and its downstream products.
Tasks (Activities and Deliverables):
Identify pilot projects for H2 market ramp-up in Nigeria:
- Active search for project opportunities along the value chain of green H2 and PtX, taking into account economic viability and sustainability
- Technical advice and political support in idea development and project preparation
- Navigation with regard to suitable funding instruments and orientation in the application process
- Networking with political decision-makers, German and European companies as well as local business partners and technology users
- Involvement and capacity building of local project developers
- Identification of customers for H2 produced in the partner country.
Technical support of H2 pilot projects in Nigeria via PPP approaches with German/European companies:
- Implementation of the PPP ideas competitions
- Performance contracts within the framework of the PPP projects and their implementation Business case analyses, networking and outreach
- Analyses and technical studies on global and local market and trade developments, country and sector specific supply and demand potentials as well as business models and H2/PtX projects
- H2 readiness analyses on the design of conducive framework conditions in Nigeria
- Approach, exchange and networking with companies and industry associations as well as think tanks and specialised institutions in Germany/Europe and Nigeria
- Communication, knowledge transfer and capacity development
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the Head of component or programme
Contract duration and duty station:
- Contract duration: 16 months, preferably 1st of September 2022 – 31st December 2023 (with possible extension)
Required Qualifications, Competences, and Experience
- A minimum of University Degree (MSc, BSc.), in Energy, Engineering, Renewable Energy Economics or related field.
- Five+ years of professional experience in public and private sectors, ideally related to energy transition, renewable energies and business development.
- Expertise in the field of energy policy and hydrogen is an advantage
- In-depth experience in project development (renewables or other industry) is a prerequisite.
- Experience across multiple contexts and an understanding of international policy debates and challenges in climate and economics.
- Proven conceptual and strategic skills, self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure
- Knowledge in project finance is an asset.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Existing network within the energy intensive industry and/or any other industry, especially the oil & gas sector, is a plus.
- A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility and work independently in a multicultural environment
- Proven ability to multi-task across various planning and implementation process within a highly demanding and competitive environment
- Willingness to travel abroad and to project sites across the country.
- Understanding of energy transition issues including global environment and development dynamics that influence resource allocation by governments and development organizations.
- Experience in relationship management with senior leaders and high-level audiences is an advantage
- Excellent writing, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills across a range of stakeholders
- Very good knowledge of English, both spoken and written, German would be an asset.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4
Application Closing Date
8th August, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: email@example.com using “Vacancy no. 070” as the subject of the email
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity.
- All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.