Advisor, Health Systems and Services (CO)
( 2307977 )
Grade : P4
Contractual Arrangement : Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days) : Two years, first year probationary period.
Job Posting: Aug 28, 2023, 8:06:32 PM
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Department of Health Systems and Services (HSS) is responsible for promoting, coordinating, and implementing the Organization’s technical cooperation in health systems and services development to achieve Universal Access to Health and Universal Health Coverage (Universal Health), based on the Primary Health Care approach. HSS promotes evidence-based policies, strategies and plans to transform national health systems to improve equity and resilience, as health systems move towards the achievement of Universal Health, strengthening governance and stewardship, increasing and improving health financing and social protection, and supporting the development of integrated networks of health services based on a highly resolutive first level of care. HSS strengthens national capacity in the organization of people-centered health services, integrating the healthy life course approach ensuring quality of care and patient safety, and the effective deployment and management of human resources.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the PAHO/WHO Representative (PWR), and the technical guidance of the Director, Health Systems and Services (HSS), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Advise and collaborate on the development, implementation, and evaluation of technical cooperation programs in the areas of health governance, health policy and systems development, health financing, health services organization and management supporting universal health coverage and universal access to health
- Support countries for the strengthening of resilient and strong health systems, guaranteeing universal access to health and universal health coverage, and an efficient response to health emergencies including outbreaks and pandemics
- Promote and support the establishment of policies, norms and standards for the design, organization and functional programming and operation of health systems based on primary health care, integrated health services delivery networks including hospital and other health facilities and services, and public health infrastructure and services
- Provide technical cooperation for the development of quality health services, with emphasis on primary health care supporting universal health, and the structure and operation of local health systems that provide a setting for the joint participation of the public sector social security systems, the private sector, and government agencies
- Support the development of an integrated health system, in the context of national health policies and plans, as part of the development and strengthening of the steering role of the health sector and health care sub-systems
- Collaborate in the organization and management of health systems and services, and their units with an emphasis on the reorganization and reorientation of the health sector and central and local health systems
- Implement, monitor, and evaluate sectoral projects aimed at achieving efficiency, effectiveness, improved quality, and sustainability of national health services and systems
- Advise on decision-making processes regarding collective options for, and implementation of, programs for universal access to quality care
- Provide support to strengthen health financing systems to improve public financing in health, with equity and efficiency, to advance towards universal health
- Ensure support in developing coherent medicine and pharmaceutical policies within the strengthening of the public health system
- Support the countries in the provision of medicines, vaccines, medical devices and public health supplies through the Strategic and Revolving Funds
- Provide support for the strengthening of national regulatory capacities for medicines and health technologies, aligned with subregional approaches ongoing in the Caribbean
- Support the strengthening of national health information systems and promote health systems and services analysis and research to inform policy and decision-making, while facilitating the dissemination of knowledge and information
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of programs to strengthen the steering and coordination role of the ministries of health in all its dimensions
15. Contribute to the identification and targeting of health inequities and the inclusion of vulnerable groups to ensure equitable access to quality health services
16. Contribute to the development, planning, training, and retention of Human Resources in Health aimed at increasing the availability, efficiency, effectiveness and quality of the workforce, and organize, conduct, or facilitate capacity-building activities
17. Provide advice and technical support to every component related to quality of care and the health services infrastructure and priority programs based on family and community approach
18. Disseminate up-to-date knowledge and findings in the various areas of specialization; advise on the introduction and transfer of experiences and technologies through capacity-building processes and inter-country collaboration
19. Cooperate with PAHO/WHO, subregional and country offices, PAHO/WHO Collaborating Centers, international cooperation agencies, inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations, private sector and other relevant stakeholders, in order to develop alliances and networks that promote access to quality primary care services, particularly for those most in need
20. Collaborate in the preparation of the Representation´s Biennial Work Plan (BWP) and the execution of international cooperation, including the analysis of political, technical and socioeconomic realities
21. Oversee multi-functional technical program activities involving a broad and complex range of public health programs, in close coordination and consultation with technical Departments in Headquarters; manage multiple projects and programs; develop and implement strategies and plans for meeting the approved biennial work plans of the Eastern Caribbean Countries
22. Contribute to strengthening an InterPro grammatic approach to the implementation of the BWP and to support teamwork and collaboration in the country office
23. When called upon to directly supervise staff, establish clear work objectives, conduct timely and effective performance appraisals, provide coaching and feedback, and support staff development opportunities
24. Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in one of the health, social or management sciences or field related to the functions of the post and a master’s degree in public health, health systems and services administration or management from a recognized university.
During the competition you may be asked to provide copies of your degrees. PAHO/WHO only considers qualifications obtained from institutions found in the following links: http://www.whed.net/; http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator.
Essential: Nine years of combined national and international experience in areas related to health systems development, health services delivery, extension of health care services to underserved populations/areas and developing strategies to overcome barriers to accessing health care services. Experience should also include management of health care services at either the facility or systems levels.
Overall attitude at work : Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by colleagues and counterparts.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity . Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
Teamwork: Collaborate and cooperate with others. Creates team spirit; promotes collaboration and open communication in the team; proactively supports others welcomes team responsibilities and drives team results; promotes knowledge sharing in the team.
Communication: Share knowledge Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
Producing Results: Work efficiently and independently / Deliver quality results Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives. Consistently solves own and team’s problems effectively as needed. Proactively engages in projects and initiatives, accepting demanding goals, in line with Organizational Strategies and Program of Work. Demonstrates accountability for work of team and sets an example, while explicitly articulating lessons learnt for own and team’s benefit.
Moving forward in a changing environment: Adapt to change Welcomes, and actively seeks to apply, new ideas, approaches and working methods and technologies in order to improve own and/or team’s work processes and results; demonstrates commitment to Organizational change initiatives manner when dealing with others; stands by own and/ team’s decisions or actions and accepts responsibility for them. Acts to promote the Organization’s success.
Ensuring effective use of resources: Strategize and set clear objectives/Monitor progress and use resources well Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization.
Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond: Develop networks and partnerships and encourage collaboration
Builds and negotiates strategic partnerships and alliances with a wide range of key stakeholders to ensure Organizational results and success. Creates innovative opportunities for promoting synergies inside and outside the Organization to improve Organizational success.
- Knowledge and skills in the areas of organization, management (including planning, financing, organization, staffing, directing and controlling) and provision of health care services (including primary, secondary, and tertiary care and public health services), and in strengthening primary health care-based health systems. Competencies in regulation, financing and public health functions, extension of health care services to underserved populations/areas, equity in access to health care services, quality of health services, and strategies to overcome barriers to accessing health care services.
- Knowledge and proficiency in management of health systems/services research, as well as competencies development in the area of public health.
- Knowledge and skills in the formulation of technical cooperation interventions and in the development of criteria and instruments for evaluating program interventions.
- Knowledge and skills in policy analysis and project formulation, leadership and regulatory functions, financing and extension of social protection in health, public health functions and services, purchasing of services, educational development, human resources management, and operations research in primary health care services.
- Strong professional oral and writing skills, including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
For Spanish-speaking countries: Very good knowledge of English or Spanish, with a working knowledge of the other language. A working knowledge of Spanish and/or French would be an asset.
For English-speaking countries: Very good knowledge of English. A working knowledge of Spanish and/or French would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use current technology and software, spreadsheets and presentations, as well as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and management information systems. IT skills and knowledge of software programs such as Microsoft Excel, Outlook, OneDrive, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint, and Word are considered essential. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs for Statistical Analysis, Data Exploratory Analysis and Project Management would be an asset.
Annual Salary : (Net of taxes)
US $77,326.00 + post adjustment
Post Adjustment : This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual. For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org PAHO/WHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities. PAHO/WHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct. PAHO/WHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution. PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity. PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco. PAHO/WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy. Candidates appointed to an international post with PAHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world. All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post. Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official documentation for organization purposes.