Job Identification : 10503
Locations : New York, United States
Posting Date : 05/08/2023, 02:50 PM
Apply Before : 05/31/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : G5
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Rotational/Non Rotational : Non-Rotational
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education and Work Experience : High School certificate – 5 year(s) experience
Must pass the UN GGST exam
Required Languages : English
Vacancy Timeline : 3 Weeks
Job Category : Administration/Operations/Support
The position of Administrative and Research Assistant sits in the Commodity Security Branch (CSB), Technical Division (TD) and is responsible for providing administrative and data management support. S/he is the primary administrative support for the Branch. The position reports to the Operations Adviser.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
As a United Nations agency, UNFPA has a unique role and mandate to support countries to meet their family planning needs and, as part of the wider UN mandate, to help ensure that all women and men, girls and boys can achieve their potential and realize their rights.
The Administrative and Research Assistant will provide administrative, data management and financial support to the branch.
The Administrative and Research Assistant is responsible for:
- Provide administrative support
- Support HR-related matters in the branch
- Coordinate IT and organizational support to events hosted by the branch; and
- Support data and file management functions.
Provide general administrative support to the branch
- Undertake administrative tasks, such as procurement, payment processing, hiring, travel arrangements, etc. using the UNFPA ERP systems and applications, as required.
- Coordinate travel and procurement for the team, ensuring that entitlements and procurement are in conformity with UN Rules, regulations, and policies. Prepare quarterly travel and procurement plans for the branch.
- Maintain records of all travel authorizations processed and mission reports.
- As a backup person to the Finance Associate, assist in producing financial reports to monitor the status of allocations and expenditures in the branch as well as financial status of projects.
- Maintain availability of office equipment and supplies, assist in annual branch work planning and printing of branch publications.
- Organize, schedule, and attend internal meetings, consultations, workshops, conferences, brainstorming sessions, meetings as required, and prepare briefing notes, minutes, follow up where required.
- Ensure smooth and efficient information flow within the branch.
- Facilitate visa, UNLP requests and renewals for team members by working with the relevant units.
- Coordinate scheduling for the Branch Chief’s calendar.
Support branch human resource management
- Coordinates all administrative aspects of branch human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff, interns, and consultants; payment of consultants; training; retreats; leave monitoring and flexible working arrangement tracking, etc., ensuring consistency in the application of regulations and procedures.
- Prepare quarterly leave plan tracking and filing of all HR-related documentation.
Coordinate IT and organizational support to events and meetings hosted by the branch
- Assist in the organization of conferences and large meetings; assist in the provision of logistics for conferences and other events, liaising with security and registering participants.
- Schedule conference rooms and hospitality, arrange materials, equipment, and video conferencing. Join video conferencing calls and provide administrative support as needed.
- Manage meeting recordings on google platform and maintain the database for easy access.
Support data and file management functions
- Assist in research and reporting activities of the Branch, including by compiling, synthesizing, and analyzing relevant information and preparing and editing reports of the Branch.
- Assist with preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assist with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Assist in coordinating annual reports produced by the branch by supporting data collection and validation of information.
- Compile background documentation, agenda and participants’ list for meetings organized by the branch.
- Organize, compile, and process information from donors, Regional Offices, Country Offices, as inputs to various databases and documents.
- Organize, compile, and manage branch digital and hard-copy files.
- Write meeting minutes and follow up action points with relevant focal points.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by the Chief, Advisors and Specialists in the Branch.
Carry out any other duties as may be required by the CSB Chief and UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience:
Completion of secondary school education. A bachelor’s degree is desirable. Specialized, formal training in administration and/or finance is an asset.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 5 years of experience in finance and administration
- Previous experience in data analysis, visualization, and research assistance is highly desirable.
- Previous experience in the UN system is desirable.
- Strong computer literacy is required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good knowledge of CRM platforms.
- Good writing skills.
Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French and/or Spanish, is highly desirable for this role.
Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
Embracing cultural diversity,
Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
Thinking analytically and strategically,
Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Providing logistical support
- Managing documents, correspondence and reports
- Planning, organizing and multitasking
- Supporting financial data analysis
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.