The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative and Finance Assistant
Vacancy No.: 068
GIZ. Solutions that work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
- GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn.
- Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020)
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. Since 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja.
- Currently, 464 national and regional employees, 66 international employees, 6 integrated experts, and 3 development advisors are working in the country (June 2022).
- The Nigerian Energy Support Programme (NESP) is co-funded by the European Union and the German Government – BMZ, Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development – and implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Power (FMP) supports inter alia electrification planning in Nigeria.
- During its first phase (2013-2017), NESP, through its unit on rural electrification, supported the FMP and five partner states (Cross River, Niger, Plateau, Ogun and Sokoto) with electrification planning (incl. geo-data gathering, management and least-cost modelling).
- During its second phase (2018-2020), NESP has established an electrification planning unit that will focus on data gathering and management to provide a stronger basis for electrification modelling.
- Data gathering will be done, mainly, via field surveys (i.e., power network tracking, on-site surveys), while the results will be presented on a geospatial web portal.
Responsibilities & Tasks
The Admin and Finance Assistant will be responsible for:
- Financial administration in accordance with GIZ standard procedures with the supervisor of the Finance manager
- Effective assistant with the staff of the project admin and finance team.
- Assist with the project Accounting and finance filling
- Ensure compliance and control over processes and procedures.
The Administration and Finance Assistant will carry out the following tasks:
- Assist with checking of invoices
- Ensure all required documents are obtained, correctly calculated, appropriate approvals are obtained, and review are done.
- Check the invoices and receipts submitted by suppliers, consultants, partners and hotels.
- Check all travel advance and settlement of travel claims
- Check all local subsidy documents for retirement
- Assist with monitoring of open items
- Follow-up with open items
- Settlement of WHT to the appropriate authority
- Assist in preparation of Internal control
- Procurement support
- Opening of bids
- Filling of documents in refence files in line with GIZ’s filing rues
- Provide support and advice to Programme staff on procurement/contracts issues
- Support Head of Administration and Finance with Internal control and annual audit opinion
Other Duties / Additional Tasks:
The Administration and Finance Assistant will assist the Administration and Finance Team with following tasks:
- Labelling of office asset
- Annual inventory stock taking
- Perform other duties and tasks at request of management
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- University Degree from a recognised institution
Other knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Good communication skills
- A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility
- A positive attitude and enthusiasm
- Discipline and punctuality, resilience and patience
- Readiness to learn and take on other tasks cheerfully
- Be polite and respectful to other Colleagues / Staff.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 2.
Application Closing Date
24th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: email@example.com using “Vacancy No. 068” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.