Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence on which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600leading academics to conduct over 830evaluations in 52countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accounting Intern
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Internship
- We need a motivated accounting intern who is ready to apply knowledge of financial terms and principles to improve IPA’s financial policies and documentation. The intern will assist with a wide range of duties, including analyzing data, preparing financial reports, processing accounting information, and learning about varied accounting activities.
- Contribute to maintaining adequate financial integrity to support quality and timely data input for generation of financial reports.
- Assist with filing, data entry, recording, and maintaining accurate and complete financial records.
- Support with the preparation of financial reports, such as balance sheets and income statements, invoices, cash book, and other documents as may be required.
- Handling sensitive or confidential information with honesty and integrity.
- Learning how to work as part of the accounting team to compile and analyze data, track information, and support the company or vendors.
- Take additional tasks or projects to learn more about accounting and office operations.
- Collect, understand, process, verify and report accounting related information.
- Develop and utilize spreadsheets, databases, and other computer applications.
- Manage specialized information, reports, forms dealing with fees, billing, tracking of projects expenses etc.
- Daily input of information into the organization financial accounting system.
- Document, control, and secure Accounting Records.
- Support with filing of monthly remittances to various regulatory authorities.
- Support with daily office administrative tasks.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements
- OND, HND, or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Banking and Finance, Economics, or a related field.
- 1+ years of relevant work experience in Accounting and Finance tracking.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Packages including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Basic understanding of financial and accounting principles.
- Good analytical and report writing skills.
- Ability to follow up on tasks to completion is required.
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude, and attention to detail.
- The ability to be discreet when handling sensitive financial information
- Detail-oriented, flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and under pressure.
- Experience working with diverse teams across multiple locations is an added advantage
- Written and spoken fluency in English is required.
Application Closing Date
21st June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and statement of purpose (Cover Letter) to: [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the mail.
- Applications require you to include a statement of purpose (cover letter) and a CV.
- Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- IPA’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI)
- As an organization, IPA is dedicated to improving the lives of the world’s most vulnerable populations through evidence and policy. We also recognize how important it is for our staff to reflect the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. As such, IPA is committed to hiring from a diverse pool of candidates, from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. We know that this makes our work stronger and more responsive to the challenges faced by those we work with and for and we encourage people from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
- Only qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring manager.
- Innovations for Poverty Action is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer.
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at [email protected] or via phone at 1-202-386-6200.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position.
- The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
- Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization.