We are looking to recruit people for our Youth Programme, for a minimum commitment of 10 weeks. The Youth Programme works with young refugees and asylum seekers in the Epirus region of Northern Greece, providing them with a sense of community and experiences that they wouldn’t otherwise receive!
There are some specific applicant requirements, however the most important is to have a strong desire to work with young refugees and have the commitment to improve the situation for them here in Greece. Second Tree works in a transparent way in a challenging and changeable situation on the field; therefore, an ability to learn quickly and be open to feedback is vital.
Your role would include:
We are looking to recruit people that are open to filling one (or more) of the following roles within our Youth Programme. Whilst these should guide applications, the roles often overlap and are interchangeable. Imagination and flexibility is encouraged when applying: let us know your suggestions on how we can use your skills!
The roles range across:
- Children’s English Teacher: responsible for the planning and delivery of the programme’s English classes. Classes focus on low level English learning and must be fun and engaging. TEFL/equivalent experience is preferable, but not essential.
- Excursion Lead: responsible for the planning and leading of weekend excursions, a highlight of the programme for participants! Excursions require an organised, methodical planner who is engaging and confident leading groups of children.
- Science and/or Maths Lead: responsible for using knowledge of science and/or maths to plan creative and engaging classes within the existing curriculum.
- Workshop Lead: responsible for facilitating workshops that can be either thematic, reinforcing the vocabulary learned in English class to make it more practical and interactive, or focused on social and emotional learning, helping students develop their self-awareness through creative and mindful activities.
No matter the role(s) filled, team members are expected to help plan, prepare and participate in various community engagement activities such as: picnics, community lunches, sporting events, etc.
You should be able to:
- Deliver programme activities and carry out administrative and logistical tasks
- Be consistent with your application of behaviour management techniques
- Be accountable and efficient, making sure that your tasks are completed in the agreed time frame
- Prioritise and delegate tasks effectively
- Be honest and transparent; be able to give and receive feedback in the most straightforward way
- Learn quickly, managing a wide-ranging and intense workload
- Care for people: the interests of the people we work with should always be your first concern
- Communicate in English, both written and orally
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience with young children and teenagers in educational and leisure activities
- Experience working as a Scout leader or a leadership role in other such youth activities
- Experience working in the refugee context
What do we offer?
- A nurturing and collaborative working environment. We work hard to help our volunteers grow; investing in personal and professional development.
- Accommodation in a shared house
- Transportation to/from work
- After completion of a three-month trial, if you commit long-term, a small monthly expenses refund
In certain periods of the year, demand is extremely high, and the volunteer houses might be full. If you have the means to pay for your own accommodation, please let us know. We would still be happy to host you if space is available. However, in a situation where the volunteer houses are full, this would allow us to offer a volunteering opportunity to someone that cannot afford to pay rent.
How to apply
Please send the following to Giovanni Fontana at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your CV
- Your cover letter
- Copy of your qualifications (If applicable)
In your mail, please:
- Put “Youth Programme Volunteer” as the subject line
- Specify the dates you would be available to volunteer (starting date and length)
- At the end of the email, copy-paste the link of the ad you are responding to
If the application includes all of these we will get back to you in a maximum of 48hs.