Job Identification : 10389
Locations : New York, United States
Posting Date : 05/26/2023, 02:16 PM
Apply Before : 06/05/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : G6
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Management
Bureau : Bureau for Management Services
Contract Duration : 2 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 3 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 6 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English
Desired Languages : Another UN language
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Office of Financial Management (OFM), Bureau of Management Services, supports the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in the promotion of its sustainable human development agenda. It achieves this by developing and making fully operational a dynamic and harmonized integrated resource management framework based on comprehensive analysis that enhances UNDP’s financial and administrative performance, as well as facilitates UN reform and coherence. To these ends, the framework addresses strategically critical financial resource planning and management issues, including results based budgeting; the integration of the Programming Arrangements and the Institutional Budget within the context of the integrated budget from 2023 onwards; enhanced cost classification and cost recovery; capital budgeting; adherence to IPSAS; foreign exchange and investment activities; corporate reporting of organizational assets; performance management tools and initiatives; and support to UN harmonization.
Effective and efficient integrated resources management is enabled through a continuous and robust process comprising:
- Formulation and implementation of corporate financial and administrative strategies, policies and procedures;
- Formulation, alignment, documentation and implementation of UNDP’s funding frameworks, assuring their integrity, viability and alignment with the Strategic Plan;
- Provision of policy guidance, advisory services and operational support to strengthen client capacities and help them achieve results, seeking to build consensus within UNDP and with key stakeholders on critical budgetary related matters requiring Executive Board legislation;
- Administration of the organization’s internal control framework, overseeing and monitoring financial management of all global UNDP offices, including through formulation/implementation of resource planning, management and oversight tools and reports;
- Promoting clear accountability for financial transactions and producing financial statements, including financial reporting to donors and the UNDP Executive Board.
- Providing corporate reporting guidance to ensure that fixed assets are adequately recorded in all locations.
UNDP works in 170 countries and territories. UNDP offices in every location has a finance function with treasury responsibilities. Under the direct supervision of the Treasury Specialist, the Treasury Associate performs routine treasury cash management support functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Provide efficient treasury support function, in conformity with the standard operating procedures, which include the following:
- Review daily reports of check issue exceptions and recommend action to supervisor. Enter stop payment requests as necessary for approval by the supervisor. Maintain online banking system access records.
- Process monthly replenishment requests for country offices for management approval.
- Process country office bank signatory updates for zero-balance accounts (ZBA) and local bank accounts including review of internal control compliance. Document review for management approval. Liaise with bank personnel as required.
2) Provide efficient finance-treasury related function, in conformity with the standard operating procedures, which include the following:
- Address Payment Inquiries submitted by Countries under assigned portfolio with regards to payments processed from ZBA
- Monitor Cash arrangement transactions by countries under assigned portfolio and ensure compliance to UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP) guidelines
- Review and Monitor compliance by countries under assigned portfolio to authorized imprest level and manage any exceptions
- Manage UN Staff Joint Pension Fund (UNSJPF) payment process.
- Provide auxiliary support to the team:
- Provide back up for other Treasury Associates as and when required
- Handle other projects on ad hoc basis as directed by the supervisor.
Core Competencies – UNDP Core Competencies can be found .
- Achieve Results – LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively – LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously – LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility – LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination – LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner – LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion – LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Direction & Strategy – Business Acumen
- Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
Business Management-Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Business Management – Operations Management
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
- Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
Business Management- Digital Awareness & Literacy
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed.
Finance – Treasury Cash Management
- Ability to manage organization’s cash and investment holding with the ultimate goal of maximizing liquidity and mitigating risks.
- Understanding the economic environment, interest rates and the importance of economic forecasting.
- Understands and can implement a treasury management strategy, including cash flow management, debt management and investment strategies.
Finance – Contributions Management
- Ability to receive, record, report and manage contributions received.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Long-listed candidates will be required to undergo the UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test, including treasury module.
- A minimum of six years’ work experience with a high school diploma or three years with a bachelors degree in accounting/finance/treasury.
- Experience with ERP financials (preferably Oracle)) and knowledge of Payables and Cash Management modules desirable.
- Knowledge of IPSAS/IFRS required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office) and advanced knowledge of spread sheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based collaboration tools.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
- Knowledge of second UN language will be an added advantage.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.