Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer, Protection
Requisition ID: 2022201825
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Project Coordinator
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Technical Officer, Protection will work across various departments and collaborate with other Sector Specialists (Sexual and Reproductive Health and Child Rights, PSEA, Food and Nutrition, Safe Healing and Psychosocial Support Services, and Security) on protection activities. Oversee Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) and GBV Psychosocial Support and Counselling program activities at State and field sites’ Safe Spaces and Health facilities.
- S/He will coordinate all activities related to Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) and GBV Psychosocial Support and Counselling for Survivors and identified at risk non-survivors of GBV at State and LGA level.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct robust analysis of GBV Protection constraints within the target beneficiary population; recommend GBV Protection initiatives needed to meet program targets.
- Establish and grow relationships with FHI 360s Protection partners in the state.
- Work with FHI 360 staff and partners to ensure that GBV Protection considerations are fully integrated into the program design and activities, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Support in designing indicators for assessing progress with GBV Protection and GBV Case Management programs, adapted to the GBV interventions being implemented.
- Conduct periodic GBV Protection and Case Management evaluations; recommend and implement corrections, as necessary.
- Design and conduct GBV Protection training for FHI 360 staff, implementation partners and beneficiaries.
- Responsible for SGBV psychosocial support and counselling activities to support social cohesion at field level.
- Manage and mentor ATO, Case Management on GBV related cases.
- Supervise and mentor Community Volunteers in GBV Protection Monitoring and assess and build their capacities.
- Coordinate with a range of actors to ensure that safe and confidential services are made available and accessible to survivors of GBV and vulnerable individuals.
- Facilitate group GBV-PSS activities at Safe Spaces and in the community.
- Conduct quarterly activity review sessions with beneficiaries to identify what activities are working and what activities need to be improved.
- Serves as organizational liaison to external organizations at coordination meetings and conference as assigned.
- Oversees all aspects of GBV Protection at assigned field sites.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Humanitarian Studies, Social Works, Gender Studies, Sociology, Anthropology, Law, Public Administration, Political Sciences or related discipline with 3-5 years working experience in GBV Protection and Counselling or Gender integration at the national or international level.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Humanitarian Studies, Social Works, Gender Studies, Sociology, Anthropology, Law, Public Administration, Political Sciences or related discipline with 5-7 years working experience in GBV Protection and Counselling or Gender integration at the national or international level.
- Experience in dealing with issues of women’s rights and Gender Equality within public institutions and/or international organizations required.
- Familiarity with Nigerian law enforcement systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of SGBV and GBV-PSS and Counselling in crisis situations.
- Clinical Management of Rape and training experience and ability to understand full range of issues around SGBV.
- Experience working as or with government policy makers.
- Strong analytic and economic research skills
- Knowledge of Nigerian security and law enforcement, in regards to SGBV reporting and response.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding protection.
- Experience in social work.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of training tools and methods and proven experience delivering training on GBV-responsive and Gender programs or GBViE (Gender Base Violence in Emergencies).
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa/Fulani communications.
- Proficient analytical skills that demonstrate an understanding of the current concepts, priorities, and issues in program monitoring, data collection and evaluation.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Acts according to FHI360 values; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions.
- Solid understanding and working experience of safeguarding and accountability.
- Respectful, willing to cooperate with and support project stakeholders including colleagues, beneficiaries, local community, and local leaders.
- Safeguarding of Children FHI 360 is committed to protecting the dignity, rights and well-being of all children involved in its programs and activities around the world.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
- This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
- FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
- FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.