The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor for Vocational Training and Labour Migration
Vacancy No: 079
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Global Programme on “Partnerships for Vocational Training and Labour Migration (PAM)” – Country Component Nigeria
- GIZ. Solutions that work. As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
- GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja.
- Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
- Global Programme on “Partnerships for Vocational Training and Labour Migration (PAM)” – Country Component Nigeria – The Global Programme on “Partnerships for Vocational Training and Labour Migration” (PAM) aims to develop and implement migration and mobility models for vocational training and employment in several partner countries, including Nigeria. Strong partnerships between governmental, private sector and civil society actors combined with measures to strengthen the vocational training sector shall create added value for the Nigerian labour market.
- At the same time, targeted qualification offers are to improve the employment prospects of young people in Nigeria and lay the foundation for a potential training migration to Germany.
- In order to share the experiences gained and to learn from them, the establishment of transnational networks is supported, and learning, dialogue and exchange formats are organised between the partner countries and Germany. Special attention is given to young women who are given access to newly developed training programmes for professions in demand.
- A further target group are returning migrants who’s specifically acquired skills and networks are used for reintegration into the Nigerian labour market.
The Technical Advisor supports the programme in:
- Achieving the programme objectives
- Planning, implementing, monitoring, evaluation and documentation of PAM programme activities in Nigeria
- Appropriate coordination of programme activities with the portfolio of GIZ in Nigeria and with the PAM team in Germany
- Contribution to the development and strengthening of transnational partnerships and networks in the field of vocational training and labour migration and mobility
- Close cooperation with partners in government related institutions, private sector, civil society including diaspora organizations and academia in the abovementioned field
- Implementation and monitoring of partnership-oriented learning and exchange formats and capacity development measures
- Internal and external communication, innovation and knowledge management
The Technical Advisor:
- Provides strategic and technical support and contributes to the development of (online) programme activities including development of operational plans
- Prepares, organises, coordinates and implements programme interventions and activities at local level, e.g. workshops, trainings, partnership and networking events, technical and accompanying qualification modules for trainees
- Assists in the identification of partners and the analysis of capacity needs of the stakeholders involved, identifies synergies, and promotes as well as coordinates activities with stakeholders and partners
- Supports the identification of consultants and trainers, drafting of ToRs and oversees the quality control of the performance of national and international consultants
- Oversees participants’ (trainee) management in the context of the envisaged pilot qualification and mobility partnership, e.g. steering of the participants’ selection process, coordination of qualification modules and support to participants throughout the PAM pilot activities
- Supports in monitoring the results and progress of programme activities in Nigeria and contributes to annual reporting
- Supports and takes responsibility for the achievement of any other task as needed and assigned by the management
- Carries out field visits within Nigeria in accordance with the requirements of the programme
Communication, Networking, and Cooperation
- Maintains regular contact and dialogue with programme partners and relevant stakeholders, mainly the involved promoted TVET institutes, companies, and associations to cooperate towards the programme’s objectives
- Assists with PR work, networks and cooperates with other relevant programmes/projects
- Collects, analyses and circulates relevant information, disseminates programme experiences and lessons learnt and ensures knowledge transfer within the relevant GIZ structures
- Adequately labels and uploads all relevant documents and products of the programme on agreed DMS folders as well as MS Teams channels in line with GIZ’s regulations
- Prepares appropriate input for annual reports for the commissioning party and contributes to other reports as required
- Contributes to technical concepts, guidelines and/or manuals as assigned
- Assists in preparing, conducting and documenting internal meetings, e.g. virtual exchange meetings (“Jour-fixe”) with the PAM team in Germany
- Assists in preparing, conducting, and documenting meetings with partners.
- Assists in keeping track of processes and actions required.
- May be assigned other tasks as required.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Technical areas such as Education, Economics, Business Administration, Engineering, Social sciences or similar
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience with national and international organisations, private sector companies or government institutions
- Profound knowledge in at least one of the following themes: vocational education and training; migration-related topics; migration issues of Nigeria; employment promotion; intercultural / labour psychology; work experience in one of these fields is an asset.
- Experience in project management
- International exposure through work experience abroad
- Work experience in one of the following sectors is an asset: Construction, Mechanical and Plant Engineering
- Proven excellent knowledge of the English language, both oral and written
- Exceptional analytical, conceptional and organisational skills
- Excellent and effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Service orientation, proactive working style and affinity for agile working methods
- Proven good working knowledge of computer applications (e.g. MS Office Package)
- Willingness to strengthen skills and competences as required by the tasks to be performed in line with measures agreed with the supervisor and management
- Willingness to travel to the field and other programmes offices in Nigeria
- A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility Other knowledge, additional competences
- Work experience in the sector of international cooperation
- Knowledge in issues of gender equality
- Knowledge of German would be an advantage
According to GIZ salary scale for band 4.
Application Closing Date
25th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: [email protected] using the Vacancy No. 079 as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.