The Excellence Community Education Welfare Scheme (ECEWS) is a leading and reputable indigenous non-for profit organization that promotes access to qualitative healthcare, education and economic strengthening opportunities for all Nigerians. With its headquarters in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and a corporate office in Abuja, ECEWS has presence in 17 States across the South-South, South East, South West and North Central Nigeria with a strong client portfolio with the United States Agency for International
Development (USAID), Global Fund to fight against AIDS, TB and Malaria, United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC), The United Nations office of Projects, World Bank & Federal Government of Nigeria. Since its founding in 2001, ECEWS has built a vast network of health and allied professional staff, partners and collaborators which has earned her a solid reputation among its funders and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike
The Accelerating Control for HIV Epidemic Project (ACE) funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), is a 5 Year funded project implemented in Akwa Ibom & Cross River States. Implementation is targeted at achieving epidemic control thereby reducing transmission and improving the quality of life of those living with HIV.
- Job Title
Level of Effort
Full Time (8.00am to 5.00pm Mondays – Friday) 100%
Akwa Ibom & Cross River State
Number of Persons Required Two (2)
- This position reports to the Deputy Chief of Party/Technical Director
- The State Director is part of the senior management team for ECEWS, in a decentralized management structure and forms part of the strategic team that directs the operations of ECEWS on the ACE Project.
- H / She is responsible for program planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the interventions implemented by ECEWS on the ACE Project.
- H / She provides technical and management leadership in HIV prevention, care and treatment, TB and Integrated Medical Services and develop technical strategies and oversee their design and implementation for ECEWS ACE Project ensuring the appropriate application of theory and best practice to the design and implementation of public health interventions.
- H / She is accountable for judicious use of all resources entrusted with ECEWS and its partners in the assigned state.
Task / Responsibility
- Oversee the development of strategies for the design and implementation of the ACE Project public health interventions including HIV/AIDS interventions, linked with care and treatment activities. Others include TB, RH/FP, Malaria, Cervical cancer screening etc
- Ensure that appropriate technical strategies, policies and SOP’s are developed and implemented in accordance to ECEWS, USAID, OGAC and Nigerian regulations
- Participate in development of and monitors work plans and budgets; ensures appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations; coordinates partner efforts in program implementation; ensures appropriate program monitoring and accurate financial and programmatic reporting.
- Work with the relevant departments to establish and execute a capacity development plan to provide assistance to the state office for effective program planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Provide overall supervision for ECEWS state office staff and ensure compliance with technical, programmatic, contractual and financial requirements set by ECEWS and its donors.
- Responsible for the overall management and coordination of ECEWS activities at the state office.
- Serve as the point of contact of ECEWS with government officials and coordinate and collaborate with all public sector and NGO partners at the state.
- With the assistance of the country office M&E staff, monitor all intervention strategies to ensure that they meet contractual, financial and programmatic goals.
- Provide programmatic/technical assistance to all local ECEWS partners in the design, implementation, modification, monitoring and evaluation of project activities.
- Provide technical assistance through the review and/or writing of protocols, papers, reports to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
- Ensure that results from research and published best practices are incorporated into ECEWS interventions and contribute significantly to this literature.
- Coordinate all capacity building activities for ECEWS partners at the state level.
- Review periodic reports (programmatic and financial) submitted by all collaborating partners at the state office level and forward same to HQ.
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to project sites as necessary.
- Ensure that all ECEWS assets and other resources are effectively managed.
- Collaborate with other IPs based in the state to coordinate project activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- MB.BS / MD / PHD or similar degree with 7-9 years professional public health experience including at least five years specialized experience in HIV/AIDS care in developing country settings plus at least four years management experience. Experience must reflect the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- MS/MA in Social Science, Public Health or related field, MPH preferred, and a minimum of 9-11 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 4 years relevant supervisory experience.
- BS/BA in Social Science, Public Health or related field, with a minimum of 11-13 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 4 years of relevant supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems, international donor organizations, NGOs and CBOs is required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
- Experience in designing and implementing of public health/international development programs funded by US government or other international donors.
- Extensive knowledge of health and development programming in a developing country.
- Working knowledge of major donor policies (USAID, Global Fund) as well as international not-for- profit organizations.
- Demonstrated management, supervision, networking and leadership skills working with large, complex programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning, administrative, and financial management systems.
- Diplomatic; demonstrated experience in undertaking high-level policy dialogue with different stakeholders.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, health systems, decentralization of services and related issues.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infection.
- Ability to manage projects, consultants, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of programs.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Demonstrated expertise in building effective relationship with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to intervene with staff with diplomacy and firmness.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
Technology to be used:
- Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and e-mail), office telephone, calculator, cell phone and printer/copier and any other hand held devices.
This vacancy will close on the 2nd of June, 2022
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one (1) MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Human Resources Unit through this email address: [email protected]
APPLICATION MUST EXPLICITLY STATE YOUR FULL NAMES, THE POSITION OF INTEREST WITH PREFERED LOCATION as the subject of the email.
Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.
Eligible female applicants are encouraged to apply. ECEWS has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) ECEWS does not charge candidates a fee for a test or interview.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.