Specialist in technology and knowledge transfer with a climate smart livestock approach
Job advertisement : Jun 9, 2023
Publication cancellation date : Jun 23, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLDOM
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Dominican Republic
Duration: 3 months with the possibility of extension
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
In the framework of the project ´´Technological innovation and financial mechanisms to transform agri-food systems towards sustainable models in the Dominican Republic´´ ( UTF / DOM / 025 / DOM ), where FAO offers technical assistance to the Agricultural Bank and the Ministry of Agriculture, to design and implement the first line of green financing for the livestock sector in the Dominican Republic. The objective of this initiative is aimed at promoting adoption and investment in climate-smart practices and technologies, which contributes to the transformation of the traditional livestock production model towards a more efficient model, resilient, inclusive and low carbon footprint. In this sense,It is planned to contract this consultancy to develop a technology and knowledge transfer program under the approach of Climate Intelligent Livestock ( GCI ), aimed at technical personnel, as well as producers and beneficiaries of the green financing line that will be managed by the Agricultural Bank.
The person to be hired will work under the general supervision of the FAO representative and direct of the Coordinator responsible for the Project and will maintain a close flow of communication with the AFAOR-Programs, the/the Project Leader Technical Officer, with the technical teams of Banco Agrícola, DIGEGA and the Ministry of Agriculture, as well as with organizations of livestock producers and producers, and other collaborating institutions, as needed.
Field of specialization
Specialty in animal production, animal health, veterinary.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Specialist will work in coordination with the Specialist in Sustainable Productive Systems and the people responsible for Monitoring and Evaluation, and Project and FAODO office gender. In addition, it will be responsible for coordinating actions at the institutional level with partner entities and key public and private actors, as well as providing technical leadership to carry out the planned tasks, ensuring the participation of different actors and a gender approach. To do this, the person to be hired will carry out the following tasks:
- Prepare a work plan for the development of the allocation, and agree with the coordination of the project.
- Review documentation generated by the GANACLIMA-RD project and by other instances and initiatives, as inputs to plan and structure the content of the proposed technology and knowledge transfer program under the GCI approach.
- Carry out an analysis of the productive, economic and environmental potential ( resilience, CO2 mitigation ) of the technologies and good practices implemented in the GANACLIMA-RD project with a GCI approach, to be financed by the green financing line for the livestock sector.
- Identify methods and tools that facilitate and improve the transfer of technologies and knowledge to promote climate-smart livestock at the level of technical personnel, producers and producers.
- Coordinate and execute meetings and workshops to validate the structure and operating proposal of the technology and knowledge transfer program under the GCI approach.
- Structure and develop a draft of the proposed technology and knowledge transfer program under the GCI approach, aimed at technicians and managers from the Agricultural Bank, DIGEGA and the Ministry of Agriculture.
- Socialize the draft document of the proposed technology transfer program with the project’s management bodies and key actors.
- Organize and facilitate training activities and exchanges of experiences on technology and knowledge transfer under the GCI approach, aimed at technicians from the Agricultural Bank, DIGEGA and the Ministry of Agriculture.
- Apoyar el proceso de validación e implementación de la línea de financiamiento verde para sector ganadero, incluyendo difusión, materiales de comunicación, entre otros.
- Apoyar el proceso de fortalecimiento de capacidades técnicas del Banco Agrícola, DIGEGA y Ministerio de Agricultura, así como de productores y productoras de la cuenca Yuna, para implementar tecnologías bajo el enfoque de GCI.
LOS/AS CANDIDATOS/AS SERÁN EVALUADOS/AS EN BASE A LOS SIGUIENTES CRITERIOS:
- Nacional de la República Dominicana
- Título universitario de Ingeniero en Producción Animal, Licenciado en Medicina Veterinaria o áreas afines.
- Al menos 5 años de experiencia en transferencia de tecnologías en el sector ganadero.
- Español nivel C, inglés nivel, deseable
Competencias fundamentales de la FAO
- Enfoque basado en los resultados
- Trabajo en equipo
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Ability to write reports and technical documents.
- Availability to travel and work in the field for the entire duration of the contract.
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills.
- Willing to work as a team and in multicultural contexts.
- Ability to work under pressure and against tight deadlines.
- Work experience promoting technologies and knowledge with technicians and producers under the climate smart, desirable Livestock approach.
- Desirable experience of working on development projects and with government institutions.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting participatory processes at different levels (professional, technical, field) and with different actors (public, private).
- Knowledge of the provinces in the project intervention area (La Vega, Monseñor Nouel, Duarte, Espaillat, Sánchez Ramírez, Maria Trinidad Sánchez, Samaná and Monte Plata).
- Familiarity with the work and programs of FAO and/or other UN agencies working in these areas is desirable.
- Only the pre-selected applicants who will go to the Panel interview stage will be contacted.
- The person with the best performance in the interview will be the one who is selected.
- Applicants for other open positions at FAO may be considered.
- This position is open only to nationals of the Dominican Republic.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all, and integrity and transparency.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
- If you would like to apply, go to the FAO recruitment website ( Jobs at FAO) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to apply well in advance of the deadline.
- If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.
SMOKING IS PROHIBITED ON FAO PREMISES