CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 2301657
Specialist in statistics and impact evaluations
Job advertisement : Jun 22, 2023
Publication cancellation date : Jul 6, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: RLC
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: Consultants / PSA ( subscribers to personal service agreements )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Home-Based
Duration: 66 effective days in 11 months ( approx. )
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Activities are part of the FAO regional project TCP RLA 3909 “ Reduction of the impact of droughts and water shortages on livelihoods and food security without leaving anyone behind”. The Project will generate regional public goods through participatory processes around 4 essential products to reduce the impact of droughts and water scarcity on agricultural production and SAN. This consultancy is specifically framed in product 2 “ Strengthening the capacity of governments to assess the impact of drought and water scarcity in production and SAN in the region ”. The mission is part of FAO Regional Initiative 3 “ Sustainable and Resilient Agriculture ” for the Latin American and Caribbean region.This Initiative responds to the demand for technical assistance from the countries of the region in critical areas for their agri-food systems. Further, the Project is part of the Emergency and Resilience program of the FAO regional office for Latin America and the Caribbean that seeks to prevent and reduce the impact of disasters and crises that can affect food security and agricultural livelihoods through resilient and better prepared agri-food systems. the Project is part of the Emergency and Resilience program of the FAO regional office for Latin America and the Caribbean that seeks to prevent and reduce the impact of disasters and crises that can affect food security and agricultural livelihoods through resilient and better prepared agri-food systems. the Project is part of the Emergency and Resilience program of the FAO regional office for Latin America and the Caribbean that seeks to prevent and reduce the impact of disasters and crises that can affect food security and agricultural livelihoods through resilient and better prepared agri-food systems.
The/the incumbent will report to the Risk Management and Resilience Specialist of the FAO Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean and will work together with the task force ( task force) of the project made up of specialists in water, disaster risk management, climate change. Agrometeorology, gender, and focal points in the country offices where the experts are consulted.
Field of specialization
The/the specialist will be in charge of carrying out an analysis of how the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean are measuring the impact of droughts and water scarcity on agricultural production and food security and nutritional. Specifically, what methodologies and indicators are they using, to what extent they integrate drought impacts with water scarcity to understand impacts in a more systemic way.
Tasks and responsibilities
The professional will have the following responsibilities:
- Work plan.
- Literature review: indicators for measuring the impact of drought / water scarcity in agricultural production and SAN, documents for the impact of disasters on production and SAN, technologies involved in measurement processes, mapping of key actors, policy / guidelines for gender, interculturality and generational approach of FAO, etc.
- Methodological proposal and instruments for diagnosis: preparation of a methodological proposal for an investigation that combines desk research, interviews and technical dialogue to find out what are the indicators currently in use to measure the impact of drought and water scarcity in the region in production and SAN, to what extent ( is used in an integrated way to measure impacts comprehensively ), what technological advances are facilitating these measurements, and how all of the above addresses differences according to gender, age and ethnicity.
- Methodological proposal for diagnosis and systematization of results: systematize process and analyze the results, considering primary and secondary information and reporting findings, recommendations.
- Implementation of two workshops: to be taught by the Potsdam Institute for Impacts of Climate Change on impact measurement in the agricultural sector to take advantage of connecting contents of these workshops with the findings of the diagnosis and analyzing the implications that this has for reducing the impact of droughts and water shortages on livelihoods and food security without leaving anyone behind.
- Prepare a briefing: a document in Spanish of maximum 10 pages where the found findings are synthesized and guidelines and recommendations are defined for a decision-making public.
- Collaboration on the agenda / goals of the FAO RLC Emergency and Resilience program: Contribute, through product activities, to strengthen the agenda of the FAO RLC Emergency and Resilience program.
- Other tasks that arise in the team linked to the specialty of the profile.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- University degree in statistics, geography, agronomy, sociology, engineering in water resources or similar
- 5 years of experience in impact evaluations.
- Practical knowledge ( level C ) of Spanish and limited knowledge ( level B ) of English for COF. For PSA only one level C language can be required.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Microsoft Office tool management.
- Proven ability to analyze, synthesize and write documents ( English and Spanish )
- Working capacity under pressure.
- Overview and strategic analysis capacity.
- Capacities for the development and implementation of workshops / courses / seminars.
- Experience in facilitating consultation processes
- Desirable experience and / or knowledge of a gender perspective, intercultural and generational approach.
- Desirable knowledge of the Latin American context in relation to consulting issues
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, synthesize, and present information in a clear and orderly manner.
- Applicants with multidisciplinary training and experience will be privileged.
- Availability to make trips within the LAC region.
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For information about other job opportunities visit the FAO Employment Website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered. We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term. If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE