Specialist in monitoring and evaluation of projects – SB4-3
Publication of offer: 11/sept./2023
Date of publication: 25 / sept./2023, 21: 59:00
Organizational Unit: FRCOI – FAO Representation in Comoros
Type of job: Temporary work
Type of requisition: NPP ( national project staff )
Grade: N / A
Main location: Comoros-Moroni
Duration: 3 renewable months
Position number: N / A
IMPORTANT NOTICE – Please note that the date and time of closure shown above are based on the date and time parameters of your personal device.
FAO is committed to ensuring – gender, balanced geographic distribution and linguistic diversity – among its staff and the international consultants it employs, to best serve Member States in all regions.
- FAO is committed to ensuring the diversity of its workforce, ensuring balanced representation of women and men as well as nationalities, profiles and cultures.
- Women, nationals ( e ) s of unrepresented or underrepresented Member States and persons with disabilities with the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- Everyone working for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to respect the values of FAO.
- FAO, as the specialized agency of the United Nations, has adopted a zero tolerance policy with regard to behavior incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of power and discrimination.
- The references and background of all selected candidates will be subject to rigorous verification.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The agricultural sector occupies an important place in the Comorian economy and employs more than 80% of the active population. However, this sector has faced a multitude of problems over the past ten years related to the structuring of producers, the decline in fertility, lack of resilient seeds but also the problems linked to the marketing of products so that with its galloping demography, local production fails to meet the food and nutritional needs of the population. Despite the country’s agricultural potential, the Union of the Comoros still depends on imports of food products, mostly from countries like Brazil, Tanzania and Madagascar.
In order to ensure food and nutritional security of the population, the country benefited from a fund of the African Development Bank ( AfDB ) for the project « Strengthening the state of preparedness and response to food crises in Burundi, Comoros, Somalia and South Sudan ( SEPAREF ) in progress which targets 14,000 households and aims to increase the production and productivity of corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes and poultry.
This Multinational Project is funded under the African Emergency Food Production Facility ( FAAP ) and executed by FAO. It complements the ongoing AEFPF-Comores project in securing basic seeds for identified food crops while supporting early warning systems for livestock, especially for poultry. The overall objective of the multinational project is to increase agricultural production, the productivity and resilience of agricultural production systems in target countries to mitigate the short and long term risks aggravated by the war in Ukraine.
It is within the framework of this project that FAO is recruiting a specialist in monitoring and evaluation of projects who will work in close collaboration with the national coordinator appointed by the Minister in charge of Agriculture Comoros and staff assigned by FAO to support implementation.
The project monitoring and evaluation specialist will work under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Madagascar, the Comoros, Mauritius and Seychelles and his Deputy, direct supervision of the FAO Program Assistant in the Comoros, in consultation with the national coordinator designated by MAPETA and the head of the Monitoring & Evaluation Unit, and in close collaboration with the staff of the Program, Operations, Communication, Administration and Purchasing units involved in the implementation of the project.
Area of specialization
Program monitoring and evaluation, food security, agricultural sectors, rural development, resilience to climate change, processing and statistical analysis of quantitative and qualitative data.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the implementation of the activities of the FAO Monitoring & Evaluation Unit in the country in the context of the execution of FAO’s responsibilities in this multinational project ; ;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation tools for the project in synergy with the regional framework and ensure their operationalization;
- Support the compilation of monitoring data for project activities and results achieved for monitoring performance indicators;
- Contribute in the drafting of project documents especially in terms of the validation of logical frameworks and aspects relating to monitoring and evaluation and reporting as well as the capitalization and documentation of acquired projects.
Specific tasks of the project
- Design the project monitoring and evaluation plan and ensure its implementation ;
- Ensure the collection of the necessary data in support of the preparation of project progress reports and the Country Programming Framework ;
- Support results-based monitoring of projects carried out in the country ;
- Constitute, manage the database of projects in the Comoros more particularly for this multinational project through the development of collection tools, data processing with a view to establishing dashboards and periodic analysis notes for project teams for decision-making and reorientation of activities if necessary ;
- Train the partners involved in the implementation on the tools and methodology for collecting the data developed ;
- Carry out regular field visits to monitor the execution of planned activities, check the effectiveness of the reported achievements, their quality and the impact of the interventions ;
- Contribute to the development of the work plan and budget ( PTBA ) and the Project Purchasing Plan ;
- Contribute in the drafting of periodic and detailed project reports; 9-Coordinate the carrying out of studies / evaluations on the project ;
- Perform all other tasks requested by the supervisor.
THE CANDIDATURES WILL be EXAMINED WITH REGARD TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA :
Minimum conditions to be fulfilled
- Hold a minimum level BAC + 5 diploma in economics, agroeconomics, statistics, or in equivalent fields ;
- Have general professional experience of at least five ( 5 ) years in the field of monitoring and evaluation ;
- Have specific experience of at least three ( 3 ) years in the design, execution and conduct of quantitative and qualitative surveys
- Current knowledge ( level C ) of French and average knowledge ( level B ) of English
- Have Comorian nationality
Basic skills required by FAO
- Attention to results
- Have team spirit
- Meaning of communication
- Establishment of constructive relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Be familiar with the problems of production and development of agricultural value chains in Comoros ;
- Experiences in the development and implementation of computerized data collection tools ;
- Knowledge proven on the project cycle, and the results-based approach ( GAR ) ;
- Experiences in the fields required with national institutions in particular MAPETA would be an asset ;
- -Dispose convincing experiences in the drafting of activity reports for technical and financial partners ;
- Have a good capacity for analysis, and synthesis;
- A good knowledge of the procedures of the United Nations and of the technical and financial partners in the Comoros is an asset
- FAO does not collect fees at any stage of recruitment ( application, interview, file processing ).
- Incomplete application files will not be examined. For any questions or requests for assistance, please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date of the notice will not be accepted.
- Please note that FAO only takes into account university degrees and degrees issued by recognized institutions listed in the World Higher Education Database, the list updated by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. To access the list, please click here www.whed.net/
- For other questions, please consult the Employment web page at FAO: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/fr/
Please note that all candidates must adhere to the values of FAO – commitment to the Organization, respect for everyone, integrity and transparency.
HOW TO POSTULATE
- To apply, please complete the online form on the FAO recruitment website, Jobs at FAO. Incomplete application files will not be examined.
- Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
- Applicants are encouraged to register their applications with a largely sufficient period of time before the deadline.
- To get help, write to: [email protected].
FAO IS A NON-FUMEUR AREA.