WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and
encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information,
gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: Service Support Operator
Type of Contract: Regular Consultant level I
Division: CBT / Cash-Based Transfers Division
Duty Station (City, Country): Rome, Italy (or home-based)
Duration: 11 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food and cash assistance to change lives and empower people to meet their essential needs. WFP does this both through direct programming as well as by supporting governments on their national pathways toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in partnership with multiple stakeholders. WFP is the largest cash actor in the humanitarian community: WFP transferred over US$3.3 billion to 56 million people across 72 countries in 2022.
When WFP sends people money, we give them the flexibility to choose what they need and when they need it. People spend most of the money WFP sends them on food, but they also can use it to pay medical bills, rent or school fees. Sending people money means that they don’t need to make impossible trade-offs, like deciding to eat less so that they can keep all their children in school.
The Cash-Based Transfer (CBT) Division in HQ has been tasked with leading on WFP’s corporate systems and services for WFP’s in-kind and CBT programmes. CBT intends to support WFP Country Offices to deliver assistance to beneficiaries through a variety of digital platforms and service providers. WFP works in partnership with several commercial Financial Service Providers (FSPs), including banks, micro-finance institutions, mobile money operators and money transfer agents, in addition to using WFP’s own delivery platform, SCOPE.
One of WFP’s corporate objectives is to increasingly deliver assistance, either cash-based transfer (CBT) or in-kind, through digital means, and register beneficiaries digitally, in order to achieve greater efficiencies and provide greater accountability and traceability of assistance delivered.
Therefore, WFP seeks to build its corporate capacity to centrally receive, store, process and analyse digital operational data for the purpose of promoting accountability, controls and efficiencies as part of cash-based transfer. There is also the opportunity to better inform WFP’s programme design through the analysis of digital data emanating from operations.
Reporting to the service manager of the Cash Data Service (CDS) team, CBT, this role is responsible for the interaction with the CDS end-users especially for what concerns the CDS’ developed solutions operated by the service. CDS end-users are WFP analysts, programmes operators and managers based in country offices around the world. The role is the point of contact of end-users for technical issues and generic requests made to the CDS service. The role is key to optimize the communication between end-users and the technical teams and improve issue management. The role requires being at the front line of the service and have direct interaction with end-users. The role is also in very close interaction with the technical team for the validation, improvement, and documentation of technical solutions. Considering the variety of programmes in scope and size, and contexts in which CDS solutions are used, the role requires having a strong peoples’ management as well as a good understanding of both technical and contextual aspects .
- End-user front line support
- Manage the first line support for internally developed (Cash Data Service) solutions and general end-users enquiry to help users’ frictionless usage of CDS solutions
- The candidate will perform solution issues categorization, assessment, and prioritization to create and organise a controlled user request management.
- Wherever possible the candidate will perform issue analysis, provide fix or work-around, fulfil service requests or escalate to 2nd line to ensure the resolution of user issues
- The candidate will document fix and solutions’ knowledge base for the service continuous improvement
- Technical solution operational validation support
- The candidate will validate solutions operability, maintainability, usability, perform some quality control and document needs for improvements to ensure delivered solution can be systematically operated and maintained
- Review solutions documentation (user manual, maintenance documentation, …) and support their improvements to provide an operational and customer point of view on the CDS deliverables
- As point of contact between end-users and the CDS team, the candidate will participate to operations transfer to operations meetings to support the operational needs are addressed by the delivered solution
- Service improvement support
- The candidate will gather users’ feedback on solutions usability and CDS general services to enhance the service knowledge and understanding of its’ users perception
- Participate to knowledge transfers and discussion with development and technical teams to actively share operations’ requirements to be integrated in the developed solutions
- Support monthly and quarterly reporting on the service performances to provide operations inputs to the CDS monitoring and control
- Service monitoring
- Regular CDS solutions usage monitoring, and regular execution of health status monitoring and logs checking to help overall operations management and it’s continuous improvement.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
A bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Statistics, Computer Science or Economics would be desirable or relevant experience. ITIL certification would be an asset
Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in IT, user acceptance testing, IT quality assurance, service desk operations in international environment.
Nice to have: IT quality assurance, service desk operations.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Familiarity with ITSM tools and service management processes
- Familiarity with data warehousing, business intelligence concepts, technologies like AWS and Tableau.
- Ability to capture autonomously needs and feedbacks, translate them into insights, solutions and communicate with tact and courtesy with a variety of individuals in a multi-cultural environment
- Display excellent writing skills and the ability to adapt writing style to a variety of audiences.
- Be service-oriented, coordinating with excellent attention to details multiple activities for both external and internal stakeholders
Fluency (level C) in English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 02 August 2023
Ref.: VA No. 828472
All employment decisions are made on the basis of o rganizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an
inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority.
Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
WFP is committed to an accessible, inclusive recruitment process. Please contact us at email@example.com to advise us of any disability related reasonable accommodation or
accessibility requests you may have. A member of the reasonable accommodation team will contact you to confidentially discuss your needs
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil
Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United
Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.