Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Officer, Laboratory Services
Requisition ID: 2022201926
Locations: Delta, Ekiti & Osun
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: STA, Laboratory Services
- The STO Laboratory Services under the supervision of the Senior Technical Advisor, Laboratory Services will provide technical expertise and assistance in implementing high quality laboratory services within the HIV care and treatment project in the State Office including Laboratory capacity development at project Health Facility sites for a United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) funded grant. The STO Laboratory Services will carry out quality control functions/activities in collaboration with the project HQ and other state level laboratory teams of the Labs including quality control inspections schedules and the collection of quality control records as well as ensuring the availability of quality records.
- S/He will also review and monitor QA and QC activities of the Laboratory to determine conformance with established policies, national regulations, or accreditation requirements.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BMLS / AMLSCN in Medical Laboratory Sciences or related field Laboratory Sciences or related field with 7 – 9 years post national youth service experience and a minimum of 5 years experience in provision of laboratory support for HIV/AIDS.
- Or Master’s Degree in Laboratory Sciences or related field with 5-7 years post national youth service experience and a minimum of 5 years experience in provision of laboratory support for HIV/AIDS.
- Experience in the management of laboratory services, particularly health facility-based services, including quality assurance systems, laboratory analysis, and interpretation and reporting techniques based on best practices, quality management practices and safe work practices.
- Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures, diagnosis and management related to HIV/AIDS care and treatment is required with some experience in an international development organization preferred.
- Certification of license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required.
- Expertise in hematology, TB and blood safety issues will be an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Excellent working knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the following categories of assays: HIV rapid and confirmatory testing, hematology, biochemistry, CD4/CD8, HIV viral load, HIV DNA qualitative test, HIV viral resistance (genotype and phenotype).
- Excellent working knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the identification and culturing of different TB species, and drug resistance tuberculosis ( MDR-TB).
- Thorough knowledge of QA, QC and proficiency testing concepts; the ability to apply these concepts to resolve complex conditions in laboratory and administrative settings.
- Knowledge of laboratory service and management issues related to the clinical management of HIV/AIDS, including ART.
- Knowledge of laboratory service and management issues related to opportunistic infection (OI) and malaria.
- Knowledge of District Health Information System (DHIS) and Lafiya Management Information System (LAMIS) is required.
- Laboratory management and training experience and ability to understand full range of issues around the laboratory management of HIV/AIDS, including provision of counseling and testing services.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infection.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online