Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Advisor, Database Management
Requisition ID: 2022201935
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Director, Technical
- The STA Database Management will report to Director, Technical and will provide technical guidance in all monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities for a United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) funded grant. S/He will oversee the administration and management of the project’s information management system for routine data.
- This involves overseeing adherence to the reporting cycle, developing, and implementing data security and confidentiality policies, designing and developing database applications, developing and assisting in the analysis of data, providing technical documentation of data and quality assurance of data inputs and outputs, assisting with the presentation of data findings for projects, and providing technical support in the use of these data in research projects. S/he leads in the provision of technical inputs to improve and facilitate the delivery of sound technical assistance in M&E, including to the Government of Nigeria (GON) and United States Government (USG) upon request.
- S/he supports the data management, analysis and quality management-related initiative undertaken by M&E staff at both the country and state offices, provides guidance in the development and/or adaptation of M&E tools, and in monitoring of their day-to-day use.
- S/he collaborates closely with other major Stakeholders in the implementation and improvement of the National M&E effort in Nigeria.
- S/he also reviews, validates, shares, and presents routine project M&E reports, to be used by various stakeholders.
- The STA Database Management must have sound knowledge and experience regarding M&E, statistics, quality assurance/quality improvement, and database development & management, and their specificities for developing countries.
- The STA Database Management must have the capacity to manage and build the capacity of a large team, within a multi-cultural environment.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Health Information Management, Statistics, Mathematics or another quantitative field with relevant Professional Certification in Information and Communications, Technology, and related disciplines. 5 to 7 years relevant experience in project-level or state/national-level Monitoring and Evaluation in large HIV/AIDS programs at national or international level.
- BSc or MSc in Monitoring & Evaluation, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Health Information Management, Statistics, Mathematics or another quantitative field with relevant Professional Certification in Information and Communications, Technology, and related disciplines. 7 to 9 years relevant experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models.
- Proven experience in project development, planning and facilitating technical training.
- Ability to develop and maintain databases for routine data, data quality, and service and quality assessments.
- Expertise knowledge in MySQL, MS SQL Server Administration, PostgreSQL, District Health Information System (DHIS2), DATIM, Windows NT and Office Administration and Management, Relational database design and analysis, SQL and MS Access/Excel programming skills.
- Capacity to plan, develop, maintain, and evaluate Geographical Information System (GIS) including the management of spatial databases.
- Knowledge and expertise in using GIS software such as ArcGIS 9.x equivalent
- Knowledge and expertise in developing dashboards using data visualization softwares such as Power BI and Tableau.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on innovation design and strategic frameworks using technology.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests, and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical setting, including government and non-government settings.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political, and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English for coordinating across teams.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online