Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist person on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria m 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, HIV and health extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
- Experience 4 years
- Location Borno
As a core member for the THRIVE Shelter and WASH project team, you will facilitate the achievement of project objectives through coordinating and reporting on all project activities and providing technical guidance and advice to staff and implementing partner(s) advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. Your coordination and relationship management skills will ensure that the project for which you are responsible applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
Hygiene Promotion & Community Mobilization
- Organize and lead the implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Support the planning and implementing out needs assessments, baseline studies and conduct hygiene promotion sessions and HH visits.
- Plan activities all field activities in communities that reduces WASH-related health risks by training and supervising Community Mobilizers
- Create, train, mobilize and monitor, along with Community Mobilizers, community basic service management committees such as latrine cleaning committees, water management committees, and environmental cleaning committees.
- Under the technical supervision of the Hygiene Promotion PM launch community led cleaning campaigns and identify waste collection points for MOFASA to collect and dispose in land fill.
- Set up monitoring systems for Community Mobilizers for daily inspection of community latrines, drainage and solid waste collection points.
- Coordinate and oversee working relationships with all local project stakeholders and serve as the liaison between them and the project team to mobilize local actors and promote project activities and impact.
- Supervise and perform ad-hoc inspections of various processes and resources at project sites to ensure timely project activities implementation and adherence to established process standards and procedures. Ensure proper tracking of resource use for project activities through periodic budget reviews and follow-up with and assistance to implementing partner.
- Support and coordinate capacity building and technical support activities to ensure assigned project activities are implemented per project guidelines and standards.
- Oversee child to child hygiene sessions every two weeks with children to raise hygiene and heath awareness.
- Distribute Aquatabs, or equivalent, and train households and Community Mobilizers on proper and safe usage. Monitor residual chlorine levels in HH water storage units.
- Carry out mobilization of key community stakeholders including protection committees, youths, women, men and host communities to participate in community awareness events and meetings
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector and between sectors such as health, nutrition and shelter.
- Organize community mobiliser data collected, prepare regular activity reports and submit as requested to the Hygiene Promotion PM.
- Lead/support NFI distributions as requested.
- Identify and highlight opportunities for Protection, safeguarding and Gender mainstreaming in the proposed Shelter and WASH activities and follow up to ensure, protection principles are integrated during activity design and implementation.
- Ensure learning properly accompanies project activities throughout the project cycle. Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and guiding partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences. Analyze implementation challenges and report any inconsistencies and/or gaps to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules.
- Coordinate provision of any logistical and administrative support to staff and partners.
- Ensure project documentation for assigned activities is complete with all required documents and is filed per agency and donor requirements. Assist with preparation of trends analysis reports and documentation of case studies and promising practices
- Review timely weekly activity reports and monthly progress reports.
- Advise management about issues affecting project implementation, or key local issues affecting future project developments.
- Elaborate, compile, and maintain database of protection referrals.
- Elaborate, compile, and maintain key protection and gender resources library.
Required Languages – English required. Hausa and Kanuri strongly recommended.
Travel– Must be willing and able to travel up to 20 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Analysis and problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Experience working with partners, participatory action planning and community engagement.
- Staff supervision experience a plus.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Supervisory Responsibilities: Hygiene Promotion Officers
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Deputy Chief of Party, Head of Office, Heads of Operations Departments, MEAL, HLP
External: Consortium Partners
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Degree in Public Health or in the field of Hygiene Promotion would be a plus.
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in project support, ideally in the field of Hygiene Promotion and for an NGO.
- Additional experience may substitute for some education.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Catholic Relief Services on eipn.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com to apply