Senior Portfolio Assistant
Job #: req22767
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 6/21/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The Financial Institution Group (FIG) is one of IFC’s key Departments responsible for a significant portion of IFC’s business volume, profitability and development reach, approximately 40%. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered globally to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network. FIG has three main objectives: 1) financial inclusion 2) servicing the real economy and 3) mobilizing third-party resources.
The Financial Institutions Group has a growing portfolio and investment activities with commitments currently totaling about US$2.7 billion in over 60 clients across Europe region. The Portfolio Team of IFC’s Financial Institutions Group (FIG) in Europe is seeking to recruit a Senior Portfolio Assistant to support investment staff in the supervision and management of IFC’s investment portfolio and business processing with focus on the Europe portfolio. This position is based in Bucharest (Romania) and the incumbent will be an integral member of a team of Investment Officers (IOs) working under the oversight of the Portfolio Manager (PM) based in Vienna.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide procedural, administrative and analytical support to the appointment of nominee directors on the boards of portfolio clients; track IFC participation in annual and extraordinary general meetings of shareholders of portfolio clients where IFC holds an equity stake and assist in processing of share voting memorandums and preparation of voting proxies.
- Continually update the equity sales plan and prepare quarterly dividend projections in close coordination with investment officers and relevant internal departments.
- Track and enforce quarterly completion status of Investment Rating Platform (IRP) actions and equity valuations on a quarterly basis; Prepare data and materials for quarterly portfolio review and watch list meetings.
- Track and cancel committed but unutilized amounts; close dormant /inactive projects; enforce development outcome and reach data submissions and entry in the system on an annual basis; update entries in the loan loss reserve system.
- Track the environmental & social performance of portfolio clients and pro-actively follow up with investment teams to ensure that action items are addressed in a timely manner.
- Monitor and support collection of bills and fees related to portfolio activities and clients.
- Ensure that collateral information has been entered into IFC’s collateral management system.
- Extract data from IFC’s management information system as requested and, when applicable, produce analytical reports for the Portfolio Team;
- Ensure the correct filing of all relevant documents when a project is transferred from new business to portfolio or to special operations.
- Maintain the ODS-Compliance Tracking System (IFC’s common repository system for tracking receipt of portfolio financials, progress, insurance, environmental and other periodic reports due from clients as stipulated in the legal agreement); assume direct responsibility for collection of insurance policies from portfolio clients on an as-needed basis.
- Schedule and take minutes of calls and meetings related to portfolio matters; maintain high quality written and oral communication with regional and industry portfolio staff, portfolio clients, respective Directors’ offices and the rest of the Corporation, in the region and headquarters alike; properly disseminate documents within and outside the Corporation.
- Assist project teams in scheduling investment review meetings at each stage of project processing cycle and in formatting and submission of Board Papers.
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-4 years’ relevant work experience in finance, banking or portfolio management in a major financial institution
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with proven ability to work promptly and efficiently under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Sound numerical, analytical and conceptual skills, including prior exposure to analysis of financial statements of financial institutions or medium/larger sized companies; Demonstrated attention to detail and precision in analysis and presentation.
- Prior exposure to directorship appointments, social & environmental requirements for financial institutions, and credit ratings for financial institutions.
- Prior experience in interacting with mid-level technical/managerial counterparts at financial institutions or medium/larger sized companies.
- Demonstrated experience in extracting portfolio and client data from internal corporate databases.
- Strong skills in Excel including lookup and reference functions, advanced charting, conditional formatting, dashboards, analytical data tables, and in Power Point including knowledge of design views, outlines, slide transitions, background designs, customization, text & object enhancement, animation, slide show management.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – demonstrated ability to communicate succinctly, clearly and persuasively.
- Experience from multicultural work environment and demonstrated knowledge of Europe region business culture and practices.
- Ability to think independently, analyze problems and identify appropriate solutions.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people at all levels (inside and outside IFC) with demonstrated team spirit and responsiveness.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.