Senior Investment Officer
Job #: req23539
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): French, Portuguese
Closing Date: 7/26/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC is looking to recruit a Senior Investment Officer for its Africa Infrastructure department. The hiring group is responsible for sourcing, executing, and supervising investment transactions in the energy, transport, telecoms, and municipal & environmental infrastructure sectors in Southern Africa and East Africa. IFC’s Investment Officers are responsible for the origination, negotiation, structuring, and subsequent supervision of IFC’s investment projects. This position is expected to cover all infrastructure sectors and is based in Nairobi/Kenya. The selected candidate will report to the New Business Manager Infrastructure, Southern Africa, and East Africa. Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3-year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Play a senior client leadership role for business development across all infrastructure sectors.
- Develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities, predominantly in Southern and East Africa, by anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge.
- Work closely with IFC country representatives, World Bank, and MIGA colleagues including on developing client, country, and sector strategies.
- Review and analyze business opportunities, and synthesize information into internal reports for decision-making purposes.
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new debt and equity transactions, portfolio restructurings, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex transactions.
- Lead negotiation/documentation teams; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in straightforward and complex transactions.
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, legal, and technical assistance colleagues in structuring transactions, to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to project and sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
- Supervise a commensurate number of existing investments in the Africa region.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop infrastructure sectors and to develop specific investment opportunities.
- Lead and manage project teams; coach and mentor junior staff.
- Collaborate with the World Bank and MIGA in developing sector and/or regional strategies and support related promotion work, including targeting potential investments and policy advisory work.
- Master’s degree in finance or similar relevant education.
- At least 12 years of experience with a development finance institution, a commercial bank, an international financial institution or a private equity firm with tasks related to private sector infrastructure financing and development.
- Proven track record of sourcing, structuring, and closing private sector investment projects in infrastructure sectors, ideally including investments in the Africa region.
- Strong technical and operational skills demonstrated by a track record of structuring and closing investments in infrastructure sectors and portfolio supervision of complex projects.
- Knowledge of the various infra core sectors (power, transportation, utilities, telecoms, natural resources); project and/or corporate finance experience.
- Strong equity and/or Telecom sector investment experience is a plus.
- Prior work experience in Africa and good knowledge of sector issues in the region is a plus.
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of clients, financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials.
- Strong track record of portfolio supervision of complex projects
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; French and/or Portuguese as a plus.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.