Position Title: Senior Field Security Assistant
Duty Station: Abyei – South Sudan
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 6
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: October 11, 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External and internal candidates are eligible to apply for this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first- tier candidates.
IOM in South Sudan has a broad range of programming centered around three broad areas: Humanitarian Coordination and Support; Humanitarian response and Resilience; and Peacebuilding, Transition, and Development. Humanitarian Coordination and support includes leading/co-leading the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI) Clusters, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and management of WASH and Shelter and NFI Core-pipelines, Humanitarian Hubs and common transport services. Humanitarian response and Resilience includes CCCM, WASH, Shelter & NFI, Health, Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Mental health and Psychosocial support and the Management of a Rapid Response Fund. Under Peacebuilding, Transition and Development, IOM South Sudan implements programming on Housing, Land and Property Page issues, Transition and Recovery, Transhumance conflict prevention, Community-based violence reduction, Community development and Migration Management.
Under the overall supervision of the Field Security Officer (FSO) in Juba, South Sudan and the direct supervision of the Head of Sub-Office (HsO) in Abyei, South Sudan, the Senior Field Security Assistant will be responsible and accountable in providing support to ensure the effective functioning of the key IOM units and procedures that directly affect the safety and security of the IOM personnel, premises, and assets.
- Inform the FSO and HsO in Abyei of all matters related to safety and security of staff, premises and assets.
- Facilitate on behalf of IOM staff the application and approval of security clearance and follow up on their timely delivery and processing with United Nations Department of Safety & Security (UNDSS).
- Conduct briefing and debriefing for staff, convoy’s team leader who are departing and/or returning from field missions.
- Conduct regular safety and security checks in UN Compound Premised (UNCP) administrated by IOM, verifying staff are following proper procedures.
- Work in close collaboration with United Nations Compound Premises (UNCP) Site Manager to ensure compliance of specific Security Operating Procedures (SOPs) such as fire safety, UNCP access control, warden system, etc.).
- Alert FSO and HsO in Abyei on all security threats or potential security risks that might affect IOM staff in Area of Responsibility (AoR).
- Assist with obtaining Force protection, flight safety assurance and other clearances from United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and Host of Government (HoG) as required, to ensure safety on program delivery.
- Liaise with local government mechanisms to facilitate the swift and favorable resolution of security related issues (e.g., resolution of road accidents).
- If applicable, assist in monitoring the day-to-day activities of private security guard services contracted by IOM, ensuring that contracted guards follow IOM SOPs including daily monitoring of guard’s routines, occurrence books, gate passes, etc.
- Support the FSO and HsO in Abyei in investigating security incidents and draft incident reports and notify concerned departments. Ensure timely submission of incident reports affecting IOM staff, premises, and assets.
- Establish a close working relationship with key Security interlocutors, e.g., United Nations Department of Safety & Security (UNDSS), UNISFA, United Nations Police (UNPOL), local police and military within AoR.
- Liaise and cooperate as instructed with various government agencies, to assure appropriate lines of communications are established for all aspects staff security and safety.
- Assist in the systematic compilation, implementation and monitoring office specific safety and security plans and procedures by remaining conversant with the various procedures and policies of UNDSS, the IOM security Management system and advising the FSO on issues of safety and security in the assigned AoR.
- Maintain OSS various documents and files in a systematic, confidential, and professional manner.
- Monitor local security situation and report significant events/incidents to FSO and HsO in Abyei in a timely manner using prescribed reporting forms and modalities.
- In coordination with the HsO in Abyei, arrange and conduct regular staff briefing.
- On behalf of the FSO and HsO in Abyei, conduct pre-deployment Quick Security Risk Assessments for Rapid Response Teams to deep field location and escort teams to field sites when required.
- Monitor Rapid Response Teams deployed in the AoR and report Early Warning indicators to FSO and HsO in Abyei to initiate staff relocation.
- Conduct Security Risk Assessments for UNCP premises and assist FSO and HsO in Abyei in the implementation of preventing and mitigating measures. Also, monitor staff compliance.
- Assist FSO in the conduct of Security Relocation, Evacuation and Medical Evacuation (Medivac) and emergency security exercises in the AOR and take an active role in the development and implementation of evacuation/emergency plans in coordination with OSS and UNDSS.
- Assist with staff UN ID requests.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience.
- University degree in Security Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience, preferably in security or similar roles; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven field experience in security-related activities.
- Experience in international organizations, the United Nations System, multinational corporations, the military, police services or the private security sector an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to support operations in insecure environments.
- Anticipates and prepares adequate responses to matter affecting staff safety/security.
- Interfaces with UNDSS, safety /security counterparts, relevant governments, and project beneficiaries.
- Applies knowledge of and supports the implementation of IOM and UNDSS safety /security policies /procedures in efforts to enhance staff security.
- Displays availability outside of regular hours to respond to challenges.
- Computer literacy with a high degree of proficiency in commonly used applications such as MS Word, Power Point and MS Excel is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity; respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency; maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results; produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge; continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication; encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust; creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision; works strategically to realize the Organization’s
goals and communication a clear strategy
- Interfaces with the UNDSS, safety/security counterparts, relevant government agencies, and other stakeholders to prepare adequate responses to security management challenges.
- Anticipates and prepares adequate responses to matters affecting staff/security.
- Displays availability outside of regular hours to respond to challenges.
Emergency and crisis.
- Work effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments.
- Support in Coordinating actions with emergency response actors to make use of coordination structures.
- Support adequate levels of information sharing between internal units
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with government agencies.
- makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information
Thorough knowledge of English language is required. Knowledge of local languages is essential.
How to apply
Method of application:
Interested candidates are required to complete the information in this link https://ee.humanitarianresponse.info/x/#Yi5g and submit a letter of motivation and curriculum vitaemarked “Senior Field Security Assistant” toe-mail: email@example.com. Applications sent through email need to reflect the position title and vacancy number on the subject line. Strictly On-line Applications will only be accepted.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered valid.
Women are highly encouraged to apply
Deadline for applications: 11 October 2022. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Posting Period: 27 September 2022 to 11 October 2022